PDA

View Full Version : Browning gun oil?

Kev18
12-10-2019, 12:25 AM
Do they still make some? I have used pretty much every brand except that. My grandfather is a browning fanatic. Don't try selling him anything else, he doesn't want it. He used to go hunting every year before his open heart surgery. Now he hasn't gone since.
He keeps telling me that other people's gun would freeze but not his because its browning oil and browning is the best and its good up to - 68. Im sure you can understand what type of man he is...
1: is this true?
2:who sells it?
3:whats good oil? I use Remington spray and hoppes.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-10-2019, 12:31 AM
go to Browning website. it's called gun oil step 4

Bazoo
12-10-2019, 12:39 AM
What's good oil? That pends on who you ask and what parameters are set forth. I use 3 in 1 oil without issue, but I keep my guns oiled and look at them regularly. It will gum up though and isn't good for long term storage or extreme cold weather. It is nostalgic to me though. I like hoppes oil which is similar but more refined. I use remoil for wipe down and action parts like trigger groups and 22 semiautos.

I'll pretty much use anything though if I can get it cheap. With one notable exception , ballistol. It stinks too bad and I refuse to use it regardless of how good it works.

12-10-2019, 12:56 AM
Try some SYNTHETIC motor oil. One quart of 5W - 20W or 5W - 30W will last just about a life time, won't gum up, & flows when cold. Great for guns, fishing tackle, knives, etc.

Minerat
12-10-2019, 12:58 AM
I use mobile 1 synthetic 5-20 same as my truck. It stays in place and is not affected by cold or heat and a little goes a long way on triggers, slides, cylinder pins and bolts. I also us it on my shotguns that go goose hunting in stupid cold conditions with no freeze up so far, to 35 below.

PHyrbird
12-10-2019, 01:15 AM
Kev,
There's a reason your Papaw was into Browning oil. Been using it for decades. NO gumming, or varnish. It will stay with a blue finish for up to a year if not in excessive humidity. There is still some problem from finger prints but a lot less. I can recommend the new formula Bwng #4 as I am almost out of the older oil. I have some older pieces that have less than 50% finish, some stuff in the white from the factory. The older finishes get slicker, in the white stays that way, fading blue becomes "patina"; not rust.
Of all things I read somewhere Browning had to quit the older oil chemistry because of the EPA MDS forms. All for stuff stored in cases or sleeve in a closed safe. [smilie=b:
Note if he has old cans, squirt bottles, or aerosol of BGO you don't want I need NOS to mix with the new formula. You're welcome to send some my way.

Winger Ed.
12-10-2019, 01:18 AM
I've been using thin motor oil for years.
If it'll go a few thousand miles in a car engine- I can't think of why it would fail in a firearm between cleanings.

Walks
12-10-2019, 02:16 AM
My Dad was using Ballistol since before I was born, 1954.

So do I, but got some REM Oil in a gift pack a few years back. It does a good job too.

My Wife Insists I spray all the locks with WD-40 every time it rains. Because that's Her Dad did. I come along 2-3 days later and use Ballistol.

Kev18
12-10-2019, 12:29 PM
Il go check online for browning oil. I haven't thought of synthetic oil though... good idea.

Kev18
12-10-2019, 12:39 PM
I dont know any dealer that has some and you cant order off of Browning.

waksupi
12-10-2019, 01:39 PM
Why not use Ed's Red? Cheap, and better than most.

gnoahhh
12-10-2019, 02:18 PM
I de-oil a gun completely before taking it hunting. It won't rust (unless you're in a monsoon and then you have plenty of other stuff to worry about), and it'll work just fine- with no chance of anything gumming up in frigid temperatures. I completely trust no oils in frigid conditions.

gumbo333
12-10-2019, 08:20 PM
The old Browning Ultra Fine Gunoil the came in a black aerosol can was really good stuff on any autoloader shotgun - A5, 1100, whatever. Worked in the bitter cold. Don't think its been made in 25+ years.

Kev18
12-10-2019, 11:26 PM
The old Browning Ultra Fine Gunoil the came in a black aerosol can was really good stuff on any autoloader shotgun - A5, 1100, whatever. Worked in the bitter cold. Don't think its been made in 25+ years.

Thats what he had. used it on his A5 and BAR.

M-Tecs
12-11-2019, 02:17 AM
Back in the day it was claimed to be the best and I believe that claim, however, synthetic oils of today are far superior .

Bazoo
12-11-2019, 02:25 AM
What does one cut motor oil with to make it thinner for use as gun oil?

Petrol & Powder
12-11-2019, 07:57 AM
You don't need Browning Gun Oil.......you need a Browning Gun Oil Bottle. ;)

Minerat
12-11-2019, 11:35 AM
I don't cut mobile 1 it's thin enough as is. I use one if these to apply it.

https://www.classicshaving.com/collections/made-in-the-usa-hart-steel/products/hart-steel-razor-oil-bottle-w-precision-needle-applicator

Kev18
12-11-2019, 11:34 PM
You don't need Browning Gun Oil.......you need a Browning Gun Oil Bottle. ;)

I have a bottle with some in it. I added it to my little gun oil collection :)