PDA

View Full Version : TITEGROUP pistol powder

Fly
12-09-2019, 09:52 PM
I load .380 45long colt & 40 S&W & 9mm. I never used TITEGROUP powder. Your thoughts before buy some.

Fly

Hick
12-09-2019, 10:04 PM
I like it. I use it in 9mm, 38 Special and 357 Magnum. I have seen some people complain because they think it is too smokey. I haven't made much of a comparison to see how it is versus others. It meters really nicely, which is a plus.

gpidaho
12-09-2019, 10:09 PM
One of my favorite powders. You can make something fly out of about any cartridge using TiteGroup. Pistol or rifle. Gp

mebudman63
12-09-2019, 10:10 PM
I use Titegroup on 9mm & 45acp. It`s a mild load powder. Some people in forums don`t care for it cause it is really fine and they have a problem measuring it. i have never had a problem with it

shaner
12-09-2019, 10:14 PM
What I use in 45acp. 38spl

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Loiterer
12-09-2019, 10:30 PM
Works well in .45 Colt, it is much easier to measure than Unique.

dg31872
12-09-2019, 10:32 PM
Another vote for Tightgroup
I use it in 32 H&R, 32-20, 38 Spl, light 357, and 45ACP.
I mainly use it in light loads. Meters very well. Small charges, so be careful of double charges.

DHDeal
12-09-2019, 10:45 PM
If there is such a thing, for me Titegroup is an accurate powder. In my experience, it is smokey as was mentioned earlier, but a little goes a long way.

I have moved to Sport Pistol for what I used Titegroup for (9mm and 45acp). Sport Pistol is also economical, clean, easy to meter out of Dillon SQDB, and when used in my guns, very accurate.

There has been some conversations that Titegroup is not kind to PC bullets, but for what I used it for I used jacketed bullets. By all means try some. I did find it easy to find a good load with.

P Flados
12-09-2019, 10:56 PM
TG is great for applications where you want near maximum velocity with very small capacity cases. For example, it is my go to powder for full power 9mm.

TG is at the low end of the range when it comes to cost per round.

It is also performs ok for applications that only need a little powder since it meters so well. The one qualifier for this is the issue below.

If you use it for stuff like the 45 colt, it will only be filling a very small fraction of the case. Double or triple charges might not be easy to spot. It would probably be better to not select charges where a double charge is dangerous and at the same time not obvious.

TG will also react with the plastic hopper on most powder measures. You need to empty the measure after each use.

For rounds like the 9mm, it does seem to result in higher than normal barrel temperatures if you are not shooting at a slow pace.

tazman
12-09-2019, 10:58 PM
I load for 38 special, 357 mag, 40 S&W, 45ACP, and 9mm. I have used Titegroup successfully in all of them.
I have no complaints about accuracy or smokiness.
In strings of rapid fire, it will heat the gun up faster than other powders due to the way it burns. No damage to a firearm, just something to watch out for when handling the gun.
It measures well in my measures. Usually can be found somewhat cheaper than other powders.
Nothing there to dislike.

Outpost75
12-09-2019, 11:35 PM
Use same charge weight as for Bullseye in most standard pressure, not+P handgun rounds.
2 grains with 77-87-grain cast in .32 ACP is full charge load.

trails4u
12-10-2019, 12:06 AM
I agree with all above. Great powder...….cheap to shoot, but mind your business. They are small charges. My go to in 9mm and .40, but I am EXTRA careful when using it.

drac0nic
12-10-2019, 12:15 AM
Buy a lb. In .380 it will last forever anyways and even in 45LC probably. I bought a 4lb jug and found it lacking personally. Bullseye was just more accurate to me. It was a clean burning powder as well, I will say that. As mentioned it also meters well.

Also if you're using it in a carbine a slower powder will give significant velocity advantage probably. In my 16" AR9 Blue Dot was worth about 140fps compared to Titegroup. The difference was non existent in a 4" handgun though.

joebaja
12-10-2019, 12:41 AM
I have had good luck with Titegroup in .380 and 9mm. Like tazman says, it does tend to seem to heat up a barrel faster than some other powders. I don't know if it is a function of burn temp, but it does seem to be dirtier with HT coated bullets than others. A bottle does seem to last for about forever though, especially with light charges under heavy bullets in the 9.

three50seven
12-10-2019, 12:46 PM
Titegroup was the first powder I used when I started loading. I never realized how dirty it was until I tried W231. The only thing I use TG for now is 32-20, because I found it to give the best accuracy in my old 6" S&W.

marek313
12-10-2019, 01:07 PM
TG is not bad but its not the best neither.

Pros:
Economical, small charges needed , good for small cases 380, 9mm etc
Meters well

Cons:
Burns hot and little smokey
Can be double charged in many cases
Not the most accurate powder at least for me

To be honest I prefer slightly slower powders even in 9mm. HP38/W231, AutoComp, Power Pistol, WSF, Unique, HS6, A#5 etc.

Plate plinker
12-10-2019, 01:55 PM
I use it in the 9mm. Also like 231.

oldsalt444
12-10-2019, 02:14 PM
It's a very good powder for pistol, especially ones with large case capacity. It is NOT position sensitive and very consistent, both ballistically and going through a powder measure. I use it in .38 Spl for bullseye competition. Should work well in your .45 Colt.

Rcmaveric
12-10-2019, 04:46 PM
I used it. I have grown to like other powders. I still keep it as a back up powder for 9mm and 380.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

tranders
12-10-2019, 07:18 PM
I have used it for 38 Special, 9mm, 32 S&W Long, and 45ACP. It worked fine, but is a little Smokey and really soot s up the spent cases. I much prefer HP-38

bobthenailer
12-11-2019, 02:51 PM
Has worked excellent in every pistol caliber ive tried from 32 acp to 454 casull.
never used in 357 sig 40SW, 10mm or 41 mag don't owen any

have probely used over 16 lbs so far and have two 8 pounders in stock

veeman
12-11-2019, 04:14 PM
My auto's like it, but they like Winchester's WST better.

Texas by God
12-11-2019, 06:49 PM
I have never used it but it is attractively priced locally at $20 per pound. I guess I am set in my ways because bullseye, Red Dot, unique, and w296 do all I need in handgun loads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

kayala
12-11-2019, 06:53 PM
I've used 8 lbs of it from 25 acp to 45 acp (excluding "tall" cases like 38SP or 357Mag just hard to visually notice a double charge). I've never tried to use it for max vel, just target plinking. Measures great in my Dillons.

robbyPGP2014
12-11-2019, 07:22 PM
Have used 4 eight# jugs in the last 5 years in,everything from32acp to 44 special. I discovered it by accident, about 15 years ago I walked into the local gun shop, the owner asked if Needed any titegroup at a good price.I asked him what he called a good price was, he quoted 4 dollars and change per pound as he flat been hit by a forktruckand damaged 2cases of single 3bottles.Itook them all,I know use more of it than all other pistol powders put together.

robbyPGP2014
12-11-2019, 07:23 PM
Still cannot type

fastdadio
12-11-2019, 10:02 PM
In addition to all that has been said above, I also use it for light loads in 30-30 and 30-06. Works just fine. load data source;
http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
I also powder coat all my boolits and never had a problem with it.

Pete44mag
12-12-2019, 12:04 AM
I use it for 9mm, .38spec., .45acp, .44 spec., and lite .357,.41 and .44magnum. Makes a very nice lite magnum load that is easy to shoot and very accurate. As stated before be very careful of double or even triple loads.

Photog
12-12-2019, 05:18 PM
It smokes most with cast boolit lube. Dirtyish, runs hot, makes for very low recoil max loads, and is used extensively by USPSA/SASS/IDPA handloaders. Double charges are not readily apparent. Personally I have used it to load 9mm, 38, 357, 30-30, 30-06, 300blk, 40, 45, 308, and made them all work, and used 9mm/40 in competition extensively. There is no perfect powder, but TG is often refereed to as one of the 2 powers you MUST have on hand (like "H4895 and Tightgroup" will do all your rifle and pistol loads)(or Varget and Unique)(or RL10 and W231).

frankmako
12-17-2019, 08:24 PM
i use titegroup in 357 mag in a marlin 1894cb. it is my nra lever action silhouette match load. hard to beat and the price is still good.

RogerDat
12-17-2019, 08:47 PM
I like it. Provides a serviceable load in most pistols. Is hotter by a touch which might be why smokey for some, could be the lube cooking off more.

Works fine with PC some have demonstrated that over time when in direct contact with the PC of the bullet base it can stick to that base. Indication of a possible softening caused by contact between the powder and PC. Myself I store boxes of PC with titegroup base down so the powder isn't against the base for a bit of additional insurance that powder isn't sitting directly on the PC and possibly doing something bad. If you store finished ammo in containers or bags loose and for long periods this could possibly be an issue. No one has shown it to be one yet that I know of and I don't store loose baggies of bullets for long enough to worry as a rule.

The recoil has something pleasant about it. Not sure how to describe but seems less jarring and easier to control for a second shot. I hate to say "less" recoil because different load is different load so different powder can't be directly compared for recoil. But find for an accurate load in 38 the recoil seems more pleasant with TG than it does with Unique.

As others have said a little goes a long way which means a double charge or squib load may not be as readily apparent from visual inspection.

tazman
12-17-2019, 09:24 PM
I ran a box of 38 Special match wadcutters through my S&W model 14 today. They were loaded with 3 grain of Titegroup with a CCI primer and a HI-TEC coated 148 grain full wadcutter.
They had been stored in an ammo can loose for nearly 2 years.
They shot great. Easily as well as anything I have ever loaded for my revolvers.

JimB..
12-17-2019, 09:58 PM
I really like it in suppressed loads for 38 spcl and 9mm.

Walks
12-17-2019, 10:00 PM
Works well for me in every cartridge I've tried it in.
It does kill plastic powder hoppers in a big way. So I dump and clean measures immediately.
I use it 2 ways, in a Hornady Progressive, I watch the Powder Measure rotate EVERY TIME.
Or a RCBS Little Dandy. After filling a cartridge block, I take it out into the sunlight or bright light over kitchen sink to check Powder levels. I can visibly identify incorrect powder levels. It's not a problem I think about. I am VERY carefull.

sonoransixgun
12-17-2019, 11:06 PM
I'm glad I clicked on this thread....a friend just gave me a half pound of Titegroup. Now I'm anxious to use it....Thanks for all the info on this powder...

Bagdadjoe
12-21-2019, 09:53 AM
Shot some in my Kahr .380 yesterday, after 12 rounds it was balky feeding...dirty.
This with XTP's.
I think there are better powders for .380
My 2c.

Gaseous Maximus
12-22-2019, 10:58 PM
For me at least, It works real well in 9mm & 38 spc.,with cbs. Mild loads but real accurate. I had for years used unique, or powders in that burn range. I first used TG during the Obama years, cause it was all I could find.

crash87
12-25-2019, 10:55 AM
I use Titegroup in 44 mag for midrange loads and in the 45 Colt. I also use it in a '92 Winchester 44 mag to mimic. the 44/40 velocities. I chose it because one of the reasons it was introduced was because, it is suppose to be, position insensitive. With plenty of range time, with chronogragh, I have found this to be true.

If you use it for stuff like the 45 colt, it will only be filling a very small fraction of the case. Double or triple charges might not be easy to spot. It would probably be better to not select charges where a double charge is dangerous and at the same time not obvious.

I have not found this to be true. Wouldn't Bullseye then be a poor choice for "most" of the cartridge it is used for?

TG is not bad but its not the best neither.

Cons:
Burns hot and little smokey
Can be double charged in many cases
Not the most accurate powder at least for me

I find that statement interesting, as I would like to know what an accurate powder would be. I find there's more to finding and accurate load for your particular firearm, but if an accurate powder is the answer, then I have been looking for accuracy in all the wrong places, has been the propellant all along?. As I sit and ponder that statement a little more, how can a powder be accurate?

All kidding aside Titegroup has its place at least on my loading bench. I wont be changing it out for anything soon thats for sure.
Crash 87

marshall623
12-25-2019, 10:59 PM
Ive found Titegroup to have a very narrow sweet spot , a couple 1/10s either way and it goes south in my 357's . Good for plinking and target loads out to 50 may 75 tops in my guns . It does OK in my 9mm but I like Unique and Blue Dot better .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Newtire
03-18-2022, 12:10 AM
If there is such a thing, for me Titegroup is an accurate powder. In my experience, it is smokey as was mentioned earlier, but a little goes a long way.

I have moved to Sport Pistol for what I used Titegroup for (9mm and 45acp). Sport Pistol is also economical, clean, easy to meter out of Dillon SQDB, and when used in my guns, very accurate.

There has been some conversations that Titegroup is not kind to PC bullets, but for what I used it for I used jacketed bullets. By all means try some. I did find it easy to find a good load with.Just curious as to why Titegroup would’nt “be kind” to p/c bullets when everything else I’ve used has worked well with P/C. So far it’s been good with B-eye, 231, Red, Green and Blue Dot, Clays, Unique, Herco, SR4759, 2400, HS6, Win 571, H-335, H-4895, IMR 4895, IMR 4350, and even 2f black, Black MZ, and Triple-7. I picked up a pound today to try so will have to use some and find out myself. Suspect I’ll try .38 spec. ,.357 plinkers, .32 S&W, .32 Mag. and .327. These will all have P/C boolits so we will see how it goes.

JimB..
03-18-2022, 03:33 AM
Just curious as to why Titegroup would’nt “be kind” to p/c bullets when everything else I’ve used has worked well with P/C. So far it’s been good with B-eye, 231, Red, Green and Blue Dot, Clays, Unique, Herco, SR4759, 2400, HS6, Win 571, H-335, H-4895, IMR 4895, IMR 4350, and even 2f black, Black MZ, and Triple-7. I picked up a pound today to try so will have to use some and find out myself. Suspect I’ll try .38 spec. ,.357 plinkers, .32 S&W, .32 Mag. and .327. These will all have P/C boolits so we will see how it goes.

It’s in the definition of “kind to” and “worked well.” Since neither post defined the terms I’ll just guess. Double base powders tend to soften and even dissolve powder coating. This is easily seen on the base of powder coated bullets, especially if stored nose down. This hasn’t been shown, to my knowledge, to affect performance. TG is a double base powder.

dla
03-22-2022, 11:47 AM
Color of case soot. Very dense. Very easy to double-charge in a large case like 38spl for those who are working with a non-progressive press.

But once loading technique is addressed, TiteGroup is a very versatile powder with a wide load range.

black mamba
03-29-2022, 08:23 AM
Some people like it because it meters well. Others don't like it because it doesn't fill the case enough. Both are for the exact same reason: pick your poison. It is economical and (very importantly) data is abundant for it for many cartridges. My only uses for it are for target loads, and I prefer 700X, Red Dot, American Select or N320, as they do fill the case well and are quite accurate.

Kuduking
04-01-2022, 09:52 PM
No experience with Titegroup in .45 Colt or .40 S&W.

But, works GREAT in .380 ACP and 9mm Luger for anything from mild to wild. Most accurate loads in both cartridges are with Titegroup.

Have also used in .44 Special with cast bullets with excellent results (midrange loads only)... bullet/case ratio is similar to .45 Colt so I think would work well for similar application.

Great propellant, versatile and cost effective. These are small charges in big cases like .45 Colt, so pay attention when reloading. If you are using a progressive press, there should no problems with a double charge.

jgstrug
06-04-2022, 10:30 AM
This is an old thread and powder is much harder to obtain now,so that factors in. I have been using titegroup for pistol cartridge silhouette in .32 s&w long from a 24" barrel and getting great results in economy and performance. The projectile is a hard cast plain base 100gr flat nose and the load is 2grns! That figures out to 3500 rnds per pound! As so many have already cautioned,it is very important not to double charge these.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sasquatch-1
06-05-2022, 07:52 AM
I can't speak for your 32 but a few years ago I was loading some 44 Rem Mag with Titegroup. I loaded 9.2 grns. for what I thought was a 240 grn. lead bullet. It ended up the bullet weight was 250 +/- a grn. Luckily, I was shooting these out of a Super Redhawk because I had to drive the cases out with a piece of cleaning rod. It didn't hurt the gun but opened my eyes.

I later loaded the same bullets with 9 grns. even with no ill effects.

jetinteriorguy
06-11-2022, 08:40 AM
Titegroup is great stuff, until it isn’t. I sure miss my S&W model 627, or at least I’m missing the top half of the cylinder and top strap.

Spoonz
06-11-2022, 09:38 AM
Titegroup and Longshot are my go to powders since I can’t find any Unique anymore. I load for .45LC, .45ACP, .38/.357, and 9mm mostly. They are good powders that don’t seem to be too dirty, and I get decent accuracy out of them. I recommend either.

garrisonjoe
06-19-2022, 05:24 PM
Titegroup has a high nitroglycerin content. (About 40% from info I have) That means it will do the things like
Loud
Hot Burn
Able to go from well behaved to way-too-hot quickly as you close in on maximum loads in pistol cartridges
Chemically attacks especially RCBS powder measures hoppers
In high humidity conditions, powder left exposed to the atmosphere can clump very firmly and clog powder measure bars and drop tubes
Smokey and sooty unless chamber pressures are maximum
Very fine granules - so it meters well but also leaks out of some measures

Sound kinda like Bullseye? Same levels of NG content.

I've loaded bunches in .45 Colt and .45 Auto for cast bullet target use. Works well, but other powders work better for me in those applications - like WST and Clay Dot.

good luck, garrisonjoe

vagrantviking
06-20-2022, 02:36 PM
Titegroup has a high nitroglycerin content. (About 40% from info I have) That means it will do the things like
Loud
Hot Burn
Able to go from well behaved to way-too-hot quickly as you close in on maximum loads in pistol cartridges
Chemically attacks especially RCBS powder measures hoppers
In high humidity conditions, powder left exposed to the atmosphere can clump very firmly and clog powder measure bars and drop tubes
Smokey and sooty unless chamber pressures are maximum
Very fine granules - so it meters well but also leaks out of some measures

Sound kinda like Bullseye? Same levels of NG content.

I've loaded bunches in .45 Colt and .45 Auto for cast bullet target use. Works well, but other powders work better for me in those applications - like WST and Clay Dot.

good luck, garrisonjoe

This is my experience. Great stuff for economical lighter loads but things get squirrelly when close to max.
I switch to a slower powder if ramping up the power.

Hi-Speed
06-20-2022, 06:07 PM
Titegroup looks very lonely down there in straight lines cases…I thought Bullseye was hard to see! Guess it’s not that much of an issue in shallower 380 cases. I’m one of those old cranks who still uses single stage presses (RCBS Rockchucker, Lee) and looks over each charged case to eyeball/inspect powder levels. I use HP38 for my 38 Spl standard velocity loads and it’s nice and shiny down in those cases to see!

Old Two Wars
08-25-2023, 10:55 PM
Just use caution like any other powder I use by hogdon all of them are dangerous if not used correctly I use lee dippers checked on a scale and a 40 round load block I even load 45 colt ruger only loads Accurate and powerfull per Hogdons loas data

GasGuzzler
08-26-2023, 08:25 AM
.45 A U T O

Forum software thinks I'm yelling and won't let me write it correctly.

cowboy4evr
08-26-2023, 10:18 PM
My experience with titegroup powder in the 44 magnum was great . After looking at hodgdon's load data I settled on 8 grs with the real Keith swc , HG 503 . Lyman 429421 will work fine also . Anyway the 8 gr load was a real winner . Great " everyday load " that would take of most business that needs taking care of . I have found that 7 grs in the 41 magnum another winner using a 210 - 220 gr bullet . So , titegroup has found a home with me . It produced good accuracy , burned clean and I didn't notice over heated barrels . Regards Paul