PDA

View Full Version : New Revolver, Smith & Wesson VS Ruger?

ARS1911
12-09-2019, 11:41 AM
Howdy all, I’ve had the notion for a while to buy a 4 inch 44 magnum revolver. With all the knowledge this site has to offer I figured this would be the best place to pose my question. I’ve decided to buy either a NEW S&W 629 or a NEW Ruger Redhawk. So that being said my question to everyone is which one would be the better choice as far as reliability and value? I’ve read about some QC issues from both companies in recent years so I’m looking for some first hand experience with the newer guns. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thumbcocker
12-09-2019, 11:49 AM
I am not a fan of the etched rifling Smith and Wesson uses for shooting boolits.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wheelguns 1961
12-09-2019, 12:02 PM
I don’t like the single spring lockwork of the redhawk. I much prefer the dbl spring setup of the super redhawk.

Larry in MT
12-09-2019, 12:11 PM
If you can find a 629-4 or -3, you'd have a great 44. I'm not too familiar with newer S&Ws. Didn't like the lock or the MIM. The Ruger is less refined (to me) but built stout and can digest a steady diet (thousands) of the heaviest loads.

JBinMN
12-09-2019, 12:29 PM
I prefer the Rugers. I have not ever been disappointed in the ones I have owned/own, and regret letting go some that I did.

They were a Single Six- .22, Security Six- .357M, Super Red Hawk- .44M, LCR- .357M, 10-22-.22. All , except the LCR were purchased back in the 80's & ae of 60s, 70, & 80s vintage. All I have left is the last 3 & will not sell them. They will go to my sons or grandsons.

I have only had one S&W & it was a SS model 686 Silhouette ( front & rear sights adjustable), and like some of the Rugers above, was sold regretfully due to medical expenses need to be paid for youngest son, or I would still have them.

That S&W was an excellent handgun, but Ruger has been good to me & so I would recommend one of them.

G'Luck! whatever ya decide to get.
:)

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-09-2019, 12:44 PM
I would avoid a NEW S&W.
Look for a vintage S&W in mint condition...and that would be my first choice.

Second choice would be a Ruger...New or used but minty.

If you got lots of money, don't forget about the vintage Colt Anaconda

ARS1911
12-09-2019, 12:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies what exactly is bad about the New S&W guns? An anaconda may be a little out of my price range lol

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-09-2019, 12:50 PM
My opinion on NEW S&W.
read my post from a year ago (post #10 in the link below)
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?358749-Enlighten-me-on-the-pricing-of-used-S-amp-W&p=4342540&viewfull=1#post4342540

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-09-2019, 12:54 PM
here is some more good reading

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?363534-New-S-amp-W-57-6-is-JUNK&highlight=

Alstep
12-09-2019, 12:55 PM
I bought a used Redhawk .44 with 5.5" barrel a while back and really like it. One solid rugged gun that locks up like Fort Knox. I've got a M28 S&W revolver in .357 so can't give you a comparison there, but it's the same frame as the M29. The Ruger is just a heftier piece all the way around. Has an ingenious lockup ahead of the cylinder that the S&W doesn't have.
The Ruger bore slugs at .4295 & the cylinder is .4325, so it's great for cast. I size at .432. All I shoot is cast and it does that really well.

ARS1911
12-09-2019, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the links JonB I’ll have to read through those when I have more time, but from what little I have read I think the NEW S&W just fell out of the running. Looks like the best option for me would be to find an older one or go with the Ruger.

fatelk
12-09-2019, 01:30 PM
It too bad that S&W isn't what it used to be. I'm a big fan of the older S&W revolvers, always have been. Ruger revolvers just never felt right to me, the weight and balance, just a personal taste thing. I had a Super Redhawk for a short time. It just never grew on me.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-09-2019, 02:04 PM
It too bad that S&W isn't what it used to be. I'm a big fan of the older S&W revolvers, always have been. Ruger revolvers just never felt right to me, the weight and balance, just a personal taste thing. I had a Super Redhawk for a short time. It just never grew on me.

I agree.
I have several examples of each over the years. I like the Rugers, but they just don't have the "feel" of the S&W designs.

I still have a GP-100, and it's a fairly new build. It has real good fit and finish and overall just looks nice, and it shoots well...but it sure doesn't feel as good in my hand, as my Mod 19 or my Mod 27.

rking22
12-09-2019, 03:57 PM
Why new?? I have an early 5.5 Redhawk and like it, but it is massive. I don’t get along well with N Frames, has multiple 29s when shooting ihmsa but kept selling them(for a profit). I would buy used, could almost buy both used for what the new one will run, depending. Then sell the other for what you gave for it, aside from taxes. That said, I just had to have a 5 inch Lipseys GP100 in 44special. Bought it new and am well pleased, gave it the same inspection I would a used revolver. On the new Rugers, I won’t buy without putting hands on and the distributor specials seem to have been inspected before landing in the gun shop, based on the ones I have been interested enough to inspect.

onelight
12-09-2019, 04:19 PM
I am another that is not a fan of the lock work on the redhawk they say a really good shot can deal with a bad trigger better than mediocre shot I am living proof that is true :oops: I need a good trigger to shoot my best so I would choose the smith , and I have way more Rugers than smiths the Red hawk is the only model Ruger I have not been able to get a trigger I like.
That said if I was going to load a lot of max loads (I ain't ) I would consider another red hawk.

Petrol & Powder
12-09-2019, 06:50 PM
You're going to get about as many different opinions as responses.

I will say that the Rugers are very strong, lack that ridiculous internal lock and probably cost a little less.

El Bibliotecario
12-09-2019, 07:35 PM
Questions such as this are traditionally answered by ignoring the posters stated preferences and responding,"Whut yew shuld REALLY do is..."

So...Whut yew shuld really do is look for a pre-21st century Smith and Wesson Model 29, in that earlier manufacturing techniques produced weapons aesthetically more satisfying than the current production models. In exchange for whatever wear it might show, it will in all likelihood be less expensive than a new revolver, and mechanically just as sound. Few people shoot revolvers of this caliber enough to put much wear on them.

ARS1911
12-09-2019, 08:49 PM
Well after searching a little online and seeing the high prices people are asking for used S&W I’m leaning more towards the new ruger. Besides I’ve never owned a ruger double action and that would be one way to justify buying the ruger (just hope the better half agrees lol). I wanna thank y’all again for all the input, this site is a great place to learn and I hope one day I can start to pass the knowledge on myself.

rking22
12-09-2019, 09:04 PM
Without digging back in the thread, but anyway.. It would benefit you to actually shoot the revolvers that interest you before plunking down the funds. Do you have friends with 44s you like, maybe a local range to go visit and talk to some other revolver guys? I know most folk around our range are happy to let someone shoot a gun we have that they are interested in. Shoot, son and I got to put a box thru a 58,000.00$ SxS one day. Guy had a ball watching us shoot it.
Oh, and pay attention to what they are selling for, don’t matter what they are asking(used guns). Use advanced search on gunbroker, select closed auctions. You will see guns listed for 1200$ a half dozen times then the same model selling for 750 to 850. That is the actual market value. I am stalking a 629 hunter custom shop gun, dealer wants 1000$, days it’s new. Well it’s not new and The same model has sold from 800 to 900 consistently. We are at stalemate, either a nitwit comes in and pays his price, or he will figure it out. Deals are out there and an older smith is very little risk. You ever consider 44 Special instead?? Gp100...,

ARS1911
12-09-2019, 09:14 PM
My dad has a pretty nice collection of old S&W revolvers and he has a 6 inch 29 I’ve shot a few times and I liked it. I dont know anyone around me that owns a ruger double action. Funny you mention the special I was just looking at the lipsey’s 5 inch half lug 44 special GP100 I think I may be in love lol. A lot of decisions to make

onelight
12-09-2019, 09:17 PM
My dad has a pretty nice collection of old S&W revolvers and he has a 6 inch 29 I’ve shot a few times and I liked it. I dont know anyone around me that owns a ruger double action
Can you rent one ?

ARS1911
12-09-2019, 09:33 PM
I dont know the closest place I know of to rent guns would be buds I may have to check into that. I hadn’t even thought of that thanks for the suggestion

oldsalt444
12-09-2019, 10:00 PM
Rugers are more rugged and can handle higher pressures. S&W's quality control has gone downhill in recent years. Don't get me wrong, I love my S&W's for bullseye competition, but they are from the 1950's when they took great pride in their work. I don't have experience with a Redhawk, but my Ruger Superblackhawk single action .44 mag is dead nuts accurate and cleanly kills deer. The only changes I made were the grips and an aftermarket trigger spring.

BD
12-09-2019, 10:04 PM
Dan Wesson

rking22
12-09-2019, 10:09 PM
Lots to like there, if you reload and especially if you cast. The gp100 in 357 is a bit heavy but take another .060 out of the barrel and lose the underlug, yep feels very good. For me it’s hard to find a better grip than the original gp100 grips, that’s what my 44 wears, the pretty wood is on the 357. For my uses, in middle Tn,I can’t think of anything a mag does that the special can’t. I almost bought a SW m69, but could not get by the fact it looked like a Charter Arms, but close your eyes and it felt good. I wound up doing a Clements in 41special, then Lipseys ran the 5 inch blued gun. If you can’t find one to shoot, I ain’t too far away and occasionally come north to shoot sporting clays. I could bring it along. Warning, best friend was thinking about the 10mm, shot my 44 and now has the 5 inch 44! Oh, haven taken the Redhawk out in a while, I really like midframe guns.

dverna
12-09-2019, 10:40 PM
Like a few others, the Rugers do not feel right to me.

But you need to handle the guns and decide for yourself.

contender1
12-09-2019, 10:50 PM
First off,, I'm a serious fan of Rugers,, but I also own several older S&W's.

That said,, NOBODY'S opinion can decide for you what you will like. You must first try them,, at least in how each one feels in YOUR hands. And when you do this,, understand that both can feel differently with different grips.
Next,, if at all possible,, try & shoot each one to see how that feels to you. Gun clubs, public ranges that rent guns, friends, relatives etc can provide the samples to try. You've already got a semi-feel for the S&W. Find a Redhawk & try it.

Both companies build good products,, and yet, both have had QC issues occasionally. That comes from being a big company, trying to build a quantity of product to supply the demands.

Yet,, both are designed differently. Many proclaim the S&W's have a smoother action & faster lockwork. At the same time,, the same folks will admit the Rugers are built super strong & will outlast your lifetime.

Decide what your intentions are for the use of this revolver,, study the designs, the materials, the potentials & downfalls of each,, then & only then can you decide the direction you can take.

Lastly,, you may also decide that no matter which one you choose,, you can customize it to fit your desires. From a different set of grips, to action work, to whatever. By doing all this,, you will get a firearm you will enjoy!

fatelk
12-09-2019, 11:05 PM
I certainly don't mean to knock Ruger. They make a solid, quality gun. I just have a strong personal preference for the S&W. I like the weight, balance, and trigger pull. My favorites are a 4" model 66 from the early '70s, and a 6" model 29, also from the '70s. If I were seriously into competition of some sort, shooting large quantities of ammo, where it's more about the game than the gun, I'd be more interested in the Ruger.

I've been told that the superior strength of the Ruger is somewhat overrated. Not that they're not stronger, just that it's not really so important unless you're abusing it, such as many thousands of rounds of hot ammo. For the moderate to light quantities and loads I shoot, my old S&Ws should last a lifetime and then some.

If you like the Ruger, and it fits your needs better, by all means go for it.

44Blam
12-10-2019, 03:26 AM
I've got a RedHawk in 44 mag that I've shot 10s of thousands of rounds with my mid range (8.5 grain unique under a 240 grain boolit - 1100 fps) and thousands if not 10s of thousands of rounds with my boomers (23.5 grain W296 under 240 grain boolit - 1450 fps). And I've shot a few thousand trailboss boolits (700 fps) - it was kind of a phase, but I get a hankering every so often...
I bought that gun used and it functions just as good today as it did the day I bought it.

I JUST bought a GP100 in 10mm and it is a very strong gun. It is smoothing out as I shoot it. I've got about 600 rounds through it and about 24 were 40s, the rest 10mm. The 40s kind of junk up the cylinders but they do shoot... I'm currently shooting a 188 grain boolit about 1275 and I am 100% sure I can do that for the next million rounds and the gun will probably work better at that point.

Saying this, I have felt the trigger of some of the smiths - especially the ones with a 'trigger job'... Lordy, lordy that double action is like butter... I just wish you could get the smith action in a Ruger frame. ;)

Petrol & Powder
12-10-2019, 08:01 AM
The D/A Ruger / S&W debate has existed since DA Rugers appeared on the market in the early 1970's.

I own and shoot DA S&W and DA Rugers and I like both.

The enhanced N-frame S&W revolvers (stronger cranes, lengthened cylinder locking notches and a few other improvements) are about the pinnacle of strength in that line. In current models that means MIM parts, the internal lock and new barrel manufacturing techniques. Those aren't deal breakers but they are factors to be considered.

The Ruger is also a blend of old and new. The Ruger doesn't have a side plate and it has a different cylinder locking system BUT it's construction is a bit more old school.

The S&W action has been its main selling point ever since the DA Rugers appeared on the market. That doesn't mean the Ruger action is horrible, despite the wailing from the S&W crowd to the contrary.
The Ruger's strength and lower initial cost has been its main selling points. That doesn't mean the S&W is weak.

boatbum101
12-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Contender1 gave some very sage advice IMHO . Assuming that either fits your hand , has good sights & a usable trigger it comes down to your intended purpose . The S&W 29 if you shoot a bunch , use stiff loads you want a dash 5 or later . Don't recall what dash the barrel rifling changed from broached to EDM ( IIRC ) . Might be another consideration if you shoot cast . The earlier versions the fit , finish & parts are better . Dash 2 & earlier with pinned barrels are to me like a trophy wife . A whole bunch of show with beautiful bluing , hand fitting , nice wood . It's much easier to slick one up too .
If you shoot a bunch , hunt , use heavy loads the Ruger will hold up better in the long run . If you shoot cast check cylinder throats etc. Some take a little work to shine , but are worth the effort . An added plus is Ruger has excellent Customer Service , not something I can say about S&W any more unfortunately . If possible try to shoot some of both before you decide . Many times something that seemed good is something different when you shoot it .
I hunt & shoot magnum loads . Other than 2 357's ( 586 & 28 ) S&W , all my other mag revolvers are Blackhawks . For me after a little trigger work , ream cylinder throats if needed & lap out any frame restriction I have a simple dependable & accurate gun .

Lloyd Smale
12-12-2019, 07:54 AM
depends on what you want it for. There totally different guns. The Redhawk is a HEAVY brute. it will handle loads into the realm of 454s. IF you want to kill big animals and load 300 grain and heavier bullets and don't mind that its HEAVY that's your choice. If you want a gun that is much lighter. Is good with up to factory level rounds (which will kill most things) and a gun you can wear all day long in a belt holster and a gun you can actually shoot double action and keep your rounds on a barn door then get a 4 inch N frame. As to new smith being junk don't believe it. That come from internet experts. Ive seen and owned crap guns from smith both old and new and great guns from smith both old and new and will say the same about ruger but even more crap. Ive got a 45 colt mountain gun with the dreaded key lock that is as smooth as any smith ive ever owned. I had an old 45acp mountain gun from back in the 80s that had a much worse action and wouldn't shoot 3 inch groups. Ive had redhawks with double action pulls that should be measured on a bathroom scale and single action pulls not much better. the exception with rugers is the super redhawks. They tend to be much smoother and much more accurate but you about need a wheel barrow to haul one around. I say get the smith. Go to a couple gun stores and try them. If it does have a rough action hand it back. My guess though is the first one you try will come home with you. I say smith all the way if you have the few hundred dollars more to spend. That is unless REALLY BIG animals are on the agenda and even then if you are handgun hunting them your probably more experienced and a 454 or 480 or 475 is a much better choice.

ARS1911
12-12-2019, 09:14 AM
Thanks for all the input fellers, things have been so busy lately with work and family haven’t had a chance to get to the gun shops to check out the revolvers. Hopefully after the new year I’ll get to really compare and make my decision. All the knowledge and first hand experience from this group have been a big help.

MT Gianni
12-12-2019, 01:43 PM
I recently picked up a used Model 69 Smith 4.2" 44 magnum. Built on the L frame it is light and accurate. I am considering it might replace the Redhawk 5.5 inch solely because of weight issues. The last times I have spent days in the hills I have not packed the Redhawk solely due to weight.
The L frame Smith is not a gun to shoot a lot of 300+ grain loads with but it will be there when I need it.

onelight
12-12-2019, 07:21 PM
I recently picked up a used Model 69 Smith 4.2" 44 magnum. Built on the L frame it is light and accurate. I am considering it might replace the Redhawk 5.5 inch solely because of weight issues. The last times I have spent days in the hills I have not packed the Redhawk solely due to weight.
The L frame Smith is not a gun to shoot a lot of 300+ grain loads with but it will be there when I need it.

One of my shooting buddies has a 69 I really like it. I have shot 240 grain factory loads and 240 and 180 cast loaded 1000 to 1100 FPS all shoot well .

gwpercle
12-12-2019, 07:55 PM
For a double action I prefer the S&W .
But lets not forget the other rugged action ... The single action
Ruger Blackhawk / Super Blackhawk , maybe a convertible or flat top ... extremely rugged .
Gary

megasupermagnum
12-12-2019, 08:37 PM
The Redhawk trigger is just something you have to try. The way some people talk, it is the worst there is out there. Mine has a decent single action pull of 4.5 pounds. I've never done any work to mine, I do know there are gunsmiths that can do magical work to get these way down. The double action I believe is what most people refer to. The redhawk DA trigger stacks right before it breaks. I would not put a lighter mainspring in the gun. Mine is nice and smooth, but the DA pull weight and stacking is what it is. If I were to buy one with the intent on shooting it often double action for practice or competition, I would look elsewhere. Ruger would be wise to make the super redhawk in shorter barrels. I have hopes though that they intend the new super GP100 to fill that role.

I'll put it this way, a J frame double action trigger is generally worse than an SP101, which is worse than the redhawk, which is worse than the N frame.

I would not buy a new S&W. Even older S&W's were not truly up to the task of full power 44 magnums without some issues. If you only intend on using lighter bullets at more medium and lighter loads, it is not an issue. I consider the 41 magnum to be the limit of the N frame. Recoil is the issue, not any danger to the gun. Mainly, the cylinders tend to rotate under recoil.

I would recommend you shoot a Redhawk. Ruger quality is as good as it has ever been, and their customer service is great anyway. Maybe you will like it, maybe not. You can shoot any 44 magnum load your heart desires in a redhawk.

DHDeal
12-12-2019, 08:59 PM
I don't see how a Ruger DA can be shot accurately when you have to look away from it when it's in your hand or nearby. Maybe if you really squint your eyes you won't be able to see it, but that can't help accuracy either😂😂😂😂😂😂

I couldn't help it and I apologize to all of the Ruger DA fans (both of you). Did it again so I'll duck and run.

BTW OP, did you look at a Ruger Blackhawk? They're easy on the eyes, silly accurate when you feed them correctly, not hard on the wallet, and strong enough that you won't have fun with the loads it can handle. Most owners can make the trigger pull smooth and relatively light. The only real problem with a RBH is that one has a habit of multiplying.

MT Gianni
12-12-2019, 09:14 PM
Biggest problem with a used SBH is wondering how far the previous owner went into the 70,000 PSI zone trying internet loads with it. I would only buy one new.

Murphy
12-12-2019, 09:15 PM
A lot of good advice here. My personal thought is to look for a good pre lock model 629. If possible and you have one available, carry a sized boolit of at least .430 with you to check out any you look at if the shop owner will allow you. Just ease the cylinder out like you're going to load it and try slipping the base of the boolit in the throat. For a while, S&W 629's had a bad habit of leaving the factory with .429 cylinder throats. A friend had a new out of the box one and boy did those undersized cylinder throats ever create a leading problem. So beware of that.

As for loads, I tend to lean toward factory fodder velocities and weights. You'll enjoy your gun much longer.

Good luck on your search.

Murphy

Hickory
12-12-2019, 09:27 PM
I have both Rugers & S&W's, maybe I have been fortunate in this area of my life, but I have never gotten a substandard gun from either one.

I have had several that shot poorly but they went down the road. Only accurate guns live at my house!

JSH
12-12-2019, 09:41 PM
Just what are your plans for it, as far usage?

I myself will never be without a 44 magnum, that shoots and can handle magnum loads.

I think a large majority of the 44’s are loaded down and shot little. That tells me 44 special would suite you more in the long run.

If I had shot a 41 magnum before the 44, I have to say I would probably never have owned a 44 magnum. All have been a joy to work with, SW and Ruger.

Those worried about abuse of a Ruger, I own two that were punished a lot with some ridiculous loads. They were given a good bill of health and well with in tolerances. Far beyond what any SW would stand.

I won’t bang my drum on either. I have had NIB of both in the past 20 years to present. I am either the most unlucky one or the most honest. Quality control at both places is beyond lacking.
SW said it was within their specs from + to -, which honestly was a huge spread and rediculous to boot. They would not do anything.
Ruger tried or said they tried to fix the size issue. Fit and finish the did little but swap parts until something fit close.

Buddy just went round and round with Ruger. Almost 6 months to get one with in acceptable specs. Pretty much hand fitted by a manager, who even admitted it should never have left that way.

New, maybe yes maybe no.

Hands on before you flop $$$$ down, always. Money saved on GB is quickly wasted in shipping and frustration.

sonoransixgun
12-12-2019, 09:53 PM
Not gonna pretend I have the experience of others here, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. I bought a Model 29, sweet lookin gun. Shooting it was miserable, very much so...Tried some custom grips....No better....Traded it in for a Super Blackhawk. I know that's not apples to apples, but the Ruger was so sweet to shoot, I've bought four more over the years....I'm a Ruger fan all the way....They don't look as nice, I agree. They're heavy, I know. But I'll marry the trusty farm girl over the city bred dainty any day....Just me....

RoyEllis
12-12-2019, 10:02 PM
I've had both S&W and Ruger 44mags....I still own only a Super Blackhawk. The Smith 29 I just "had to have" when Dirty Harry was burning up the silver screen was a fine shooter, felt great in the hand but with all factory loads it shot loose far too soon. Sent in for factory rebuild & sold it. Got the Super Blackhawk and shortly after a Redhawk, had to work both to make trigger acceptable. Redhawk never felt great in hand so it went down the road, Super Blackhawk has digested some stupid hot loads and just keeps going. I wouldn't recommend brand new in either flavor, but keep your eyes peeled for a decently priced Dan Wesson .44. A friend has one and it's the best feeling and shooting DA .44 I've ever held.

stinjie
12-12-2019, 10:05 PM
If you have the chance to have one of each at a gun shop or show to examine,let your hand tell you.One will feel better than the other.Both are great revolvers.

megasupermagnum
12-12-2019, 10:46 PM
I'm sure Dan Wesson has made different models over time, but the one I got to play with in 357 super mag (357 maximum) was the most ungainly revolver I've handled. I was neither overly impressed or disappointed in the trigger or overall quality. They do shoot though, no doubt about that.

fatelk
12-12-2019, 10:50 PM
Sorry to veer the thread, but I have a question for someone who shoots a lot more than I do. When people talk about shooting a revolver loose, what is actually meant by that, and how many rounds are we talking?

I ask because I have a Model 29-2 that I've had for about 30 years. I've shot it a fair amount over the years, as much as I want, but I'm not a competitor or anything. Full magnum loads through it probably number in the high hundreds to low thousands, then a lot of lighter loads. It seems as good as ever, not worn out at all. How many rounds does it generally take to shoot one loose?

megasupermagnum
12-12-2019, 11:03 PM
I don't have a clue how many it takes, but generally people that say "shot loose" are going to be talking about cylinder end play, which is the back and forth movement of the cylinder. The play can be corrected easily by shims, however, your barrel to cylinder gap will continue to grow over time.

I'm sure it's into the 1000's of rounds of full power loads to really see play start to happen. The N frame smith is definitely more prone to this than a Ruger Redhawk, or a Dan Wesson. In fact the Dan Wesson is nearly impervious, because you set the barrel to cylinder gap yourself.

murf205
12-13-2019, 12:16 AM
I have both a Ruger SRH and a S&W 629 with a lock and MIM parts. I have owned 9 or 10 Smith 29's over the years and 2 other 629's. Only 1 was troublesome and I traded it for the SRH I have now. My current 629 is a 4" gun and it has swallowed somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 rnds without a hiccup and some of those have been 275gr and 310gr Lee's.(ouch) It has been dunked in the Kenai River twice and was a full day before I could dry it out over the stove in the cabin, sans grips of course. Not as accurate as the 9" Ruger but hey, it's got a shorter sight radius.The rifling is EDM and I reamed the throats from a tight .429 to .430 and it does not lead a bit.
The Ruger is a beast but if you are going to hunt with a handgun, this is the one. It has a pretty good trigger and it is scary accurate with everything I have stuffed in it. Cylinder throats measure .431 and I coated it with Lauer coating . It name is Old Ugly but it has a warm spot in my safe for as long as I am alive because it shoots so well. Factory grips fit my average paw just fine and it wears a 2x Leupold.
What does all this mean? Like everybody else stated before, go shoot both and draw your own conclusion, just remember, if you buy an older S&W they are a work of art but don't try to make a bazzoka out of it. Good luck252905252906Like I said, it's Ugly! The second pic is with the sling attached for carry when I hunt with it.252909

Tom W.
12-13-2019, 12:23 AM
I've had several .44 mags, one a SBH with a 10 inch barrel and I got rid of it in short order. The second was a stainless steel SBH with the XR3 red frame and a fluted cylinder, and I believe a 5" barrel. I kept that for a long time until someone wanted it at an outrageous price. I'm not that stupid, and sold it for enough to get my current revolver, a SRH. I have noticed that the cylinder is longer than a Smith 29, and my 310 gr. loads won't fit in the Smith.

The SRH fits my hand just fine, and shooting it to me is a joy. The SBH, while I could shoot it, was not pleasant. I can easily put 100 full house rounds through the SRH while at the range without any pain or after effects. I seldom shoot it DA, unless there is something that needs tending to right then. Even then it just shoots better for me.

I have a late friend that had a Redhawk, and those wimpy stocks weren't to my satisfaction.

As far as the revolver being ugly, well, when I shoot it I'm looking at the sights so the ugly doesn't show!

fatelk
12-13-2019, 01:44 AM
I don't have a clue how many it takes, but generally people that say "shot loose" are going to be talking about cylinder end play, which is the back and forth movement of the cylinder. The play can be corrected easily by shims, however, your barrel to cylinder gap will continue to grow over time.

I'm sure it's into the 1000's of rounds of full power loads to really see play start to happen. The N frame smith is definitely more prone to this than a Ruger Redhawk, or a Dan Wesson. In fact the Dan Wesson is nearly impervious, because you set the barrel to cylinder gap yourself.

Now I'm remembering- the shims. I have some somewhere. A long time ago I had a nickel plated 4" 29-2 that I bought well-used. It was loose and a gun shop guy gave me a shim that fixed it right up. That beat up old gun was a favorite until someone stole it out of my truck 20 years ago.

Funny thing is, I remember I ended up also putting a shim in my old Dan Wesson model 15. As I recall, the problem wasn't the cylinder gap, but the movement of the cylinder in the frame itself, like the frame had stretched. Now that I think about it, that's a fairly common problem, isn't it? If the SRH never has that issue, kudos to Ruger!

Petrol & Powder
12-13-2019, 09:48 AM
".......The D/A Ruger / S&W debate has existed since DA Rugers appeared on the market in the early 1970's. ...."

AND THE DEBATE IS STILL ALIVE :bigsmyl2:

6bg6ga
12-13-2019, 09:54 AM
Now we're in for 30 pages of I like the S&W or I like the Ruger. Give me a break.

megasupermagnum
12-13-2019, 02:35 PM
Now I'm remembering- the shims. I have some somewhere. A long time ago I had a nickel plated 4" 29-2 that I bought well-used. It was loose and a gun shop guy gave me a shim that fixed it right up. That beat up old gun was a favorite until someone stole it out of my truck 20 years ago.

Funny thing is, I remember I ended up also putting a shim in my old Dan Wesson model 15. As I recall, the problem wasn't the cylinder gap, but the movement of the cylinder in the frame itself, like the frame had stretched. Now that I think about it, that's a fairly common problem, isn't it? If the SRH never has that issue, kudos to Ruger!

Dan Wesson and Ruger's can certainly work loose. Both are generally considered to be much more robust than S&W in this regard. I have never had one get loose on me from any brand. Only my model 57-1 needed shims, and I bought it that way.

I do not believe the frame stretches, at least it should not. I would think it would be more the cylinder itself that wears out.

Petrol & Powder
12-13-2019, 03:49 PM
Now we're in for 30 pages of I like the S&W or I like the Ruger. Give me a break.

Yep........

If1Hitu
12-13-2019, 05:29 PM
I have the Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag. 4" it's a big revolver and i like it. I don't have S&W 629 .44 Mag. I don't have a opinion on one. I do have a S&W 69 .44 Mag. 4.2" I really enjoy shooting .44 specials in it.

onelight
12-13-2019, 05:42 PM
Sorry to veer the thread, but I have a question for someone who shoots a lot more than I do. When people talk about shooting a revolver loose, what is actually meant by that, and how many rounds are we talking?

I ask because I have a Model 29-2 that I've had for about 30 years. I've shot it a fair amount over the years, as much as I want, but I'm not a competitor or anything. Full magnum loads through it probably number in the high hundreds to low thousands, then a lot of lighter loads. It seems as good as ever, not worn out at all. How many rounds does it generally take to shoot one loose?
I have a 61/2 " mod,29 I bought new I in the mid to late 70s , it has been fed a diet similar to yours mostly the Lyman 250 grain Keith bullet at 900 to 1000 FPS , and at least a 1000 240 grain GC bullet on 25 grains of 296 .
I put shims in mine last year. You can measure cylinder end play with feeler gauges hold the cylinder back against the recoil shield and measure barrel cyl.gap then hold the cylinder forward toward the barrel and measure again
The movement ideally will be less than .002 , if it is more than this go to trigger shims dot comm. he has shims and I think tutorials on putting them in..
If you let it get really bad you cylinder may unlock with heavy loads.

Shuz
12-18-2019, 11:52 AM

What he said^^^^. I have several Smith 629's in -3 and -4 and -5 and I prefer my Mdl 69 to all of them due to it's feel and the trigger job I did.