PDA

View Full Version : In Deference to Gopher Slayer and the Biscuit Thread

Todd N.
12-08-2019, 09:18 PM
Folks,

Everything Gopher Slayer said borders on Gospel. There is no day so bad that biscuits and gravy can't make it a little better, no domestic issue it can't lessen, no emotional burden it can't lighten. Sadly, some of us are single, some are not skilled in the kitchen, some have culinary urges that their families do not understand.

But there is hope! We have that restaurant we might never tell our spouse about. I guess the lucky ones get their spouse to go with them! :shock: But almost all of us have a place we can go for fabulous biscuits and gravy- don't deny it!

So I would like to know where YOU go for biscuits and gravy if it's not at home. We all take weekend getaways on occasion, go see the in-laws in another state or county, drive for our job, or just travel for other reasons. When I'm in your neck of the woods, where can I go?

I'm going to kick this off with my favorite biscuits and gravy place in the world...

Toro Place Cafe

Hwy 68 Between Monterey and Salinas, California

Whenever my wife and I go to Laguna Seca raceway in California, this place is a required stopover. When you order biscuits and gravy, the waitress asks," Full or Half Order?"

Your plate arrives and it is a standard restaurant dinner plate- overflowing with a MOUNTAIN of biscuits and an ocean of gravy! And the smell will bring tears to your eyes! House-made baking powder biscuits, white gravy filled with sausage, black pepper and bits of onion too.
I'm a man-sized man, not a midget. I have an outstanding appetite. But I have never been able to finish a full order her since my first visit in the early 80's.

So where do you go to buck the cardiologist or when your wife is out of town?

pcolapaddler
12-08-2019, 11:33 PM
The only place I've ever gotten them is either rarely at someone's house or Hardee's.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

skeettx
12-08-2019, 11:38 PM
Church Men's Breakfast,
cat head biscuits, sausage cream gravy,
Mike

Walks
12-08-2019, 11:44 PM
My place has been gone for 20yrs. Built 3 little condos.

fixit
12-08-2019, 11:45 PM
My wife's drop bisquits, and home made sausage gravy.... I've found close, but none have surpassed!

Texas by God
12-08-2019, 11:47 PM
In Fort Worth, Texas go to Montgomery Street Cafe across from the mammoth new Dickies Arena, one of the Dixie Houses, or the River Oaks Cafe. Not as good as Mama’s- but they will do. I like bacon drippings gravy and I’ve got to have a side of grits, fried eggs and bacon!

country gent
12-08-2019, 11:50 PM
Most restaurants here just open a can for the gravy. Only a very few make it up from scratch. I prefer my own

trails4u
12-09-2019, 12:39 AM
Tudor's Biscuit World..... Those from parts of WV will understand.

fast ronnie
12-09-2019, 01:44 AM
The very best I've had is made for our Men's breakfast at Church. It is easy to make, too. It starts with a package of 'Southeastern Mills Country Gravy Mix'. Use milk instead of water, and add spicy sausage to the mix. It is best served with homemade biscuits, nice and warm from the oven. The individual sausage used can be almost any variety, so just choose your favorite. I happen to like something pretty spicy, myself.

clum553946
12-09-2019, 03:20 AM
I know this place! It’s outstanding!

Folks,

Everything Gopher Slayer said borders on Gospel. There is no day so bad that biscuits and gravy can't make it a little better, no domestic issue it can't lessen, no emotional burden it can't lighten. Sadly, some of us are single, some are not skilled in the kitchen, some have culinary urges that their families do not understand.

But there is hope! We have that restaurant we might never tell our spouse about. I guess the lucky ones get their spouse to go with them! :shock: But almost all of us have a place we can go for fabulous biscuits and gravy- don't deny it!

So I would like to know where YOU go for biscuits and gravy if it's not at home. We all take weekend getaways on occasion, go see the in-laws in another state or county, drive for our job, or just travel for other reasons. When I'm in your neck of the woods, where can I go?

I'm going to kick this off with my favorite biscuits and gravy place in the world...

Toro Place Cafe

Whenever my wife and I go to Laguna Seca raceway in California, this place is a required stopover. When you order biscuits and gravy, the waitress asks," Full or Half Order?"

Your plate arrives and it is a standard restaurant dinner plate- overflowing with a MOUNTAIN of biscuits and an ocean of gravy! And the smell will bring tears to your eyes! House-made baking powder biscuits, white gravy filled with sausage, black pepper and bits of onion too.
I'm a man-sized man, not a midget. I have an outstanding appetite. But I have never been able to finish a full order her since my first visit in the early 80's.

Idaho45guy
12-09-2019, 04:15 AM
Little cafe in Kendrick, ID called Archie's Place. Best breakfast anywhere for 100 miles...

DougGuy
12-09-2019, 05:09 AM
You know what ain't half bad at all? Libby's Country Gravy in the can!! I swear! It ain't homemade but for the minute or so it takes to heat it up, and pour it over two of them Tennessee Pride buttermilk sausage biscuits that you heat up on cast iron, then splash on some Texas Pete or Crystal hot sauce, ain't gotta go nowhere, ain't even gotta get out of my PJs!

ACC
12-09-2019, 05:15 AM
Folks,

Toro Place Cafe

Bill Miller's at the corner of Bill Miller Lane and Goliad Road. San Antonio, Texas.

ACC

Kraschenbirn
12-09-2019, 10:50 AM
Little country-style restaurant called "The Apple Dumpling" 'bout a 1/2 mile out outside of Urbana, IL...family-owned and operated, same location for 30-some years (burned down once and rebuilt), simple menu and great service.

Bill

nagantguy
12-09-2019, 11:38 AM
There is truth to biscuits and gravy fixing a lot of things- I know a gal married to sort of an odd fellow, not much on talking or doing much with the kids; works as much as he has to , does all right but in his field he could be pulling 6 figures- as my grandpa would say- no gumption. Anyhow any time anyone mentions this fellow they say whatever about him followed by “but he makes the best biscuits and gravy I’ve ever had” and it’s true he does, better than moms better than grandmas, so he gets a pass on lots of stuff

GOPHER SLAYER
12-09-2019, 03:00 PM
Do you think maybe, just maybe biscuits & gravy could bring peace to the Middle East? Of course it you would have to use beef gravy, not sausage. I think it could work.

rking22
12-09-2019, 03:19 PM
I finally gave up on store bought biscuits and gravy. Most all were tolerable none like home. Same with spaghetti and banana pudding, restaurant version of those on occasion are inediable! Lucky for me Lori is an outstanding cook. Fresh biscuits this morning:)

LUBEDUDE
12-09-2019, 04:50 PM
The best breakfast place I ever ate at was Iowa Porker in San Diego. They had great B&G, but sadly they are long gone.

Mal Paso
12-09-2019, 10:31 PM
I started reading wondering if just one of the places would be near me. Right there in the first post.

Toro Place Cafe

Whenever my wife and I go to Laguna Seca raceway in California, this place is a required stopover.

You know there is a shooting range at Laguna Seca too. That's enough to get me to Toro Place Café for breakfast. I've only had their burgers for lunch. Good food!

Thanks!

LUCKYDAWG13
12-10-2019, 10:39 AM
The best biscuits and gravy that I have had were in a small town were I Deer hunt in Galva IL don't remember the name of the little restaurant but its in a old Church and no not Alice's

gwpercle
12-10-2019, 10:52 AM
New Smyrna Beach Florida... The Golden Biscuit Restaurant ...
The name says it all.... I cried when the one in Louisiana closed .
Gary

flint45
12-10-2019, 12:30 PM
My place is long gone now.Now it all seems like canned stuff and old biscuits. But the search goes on.

bob208
12-13-2019, 11:15 PM
cracker barrel serves biscuits and gravy and grits with every breakfast .

Outpost75
12-13-2019, 11:54 PM
Tudor's Biscuit World..... Those from parts of WV will understand.

Amen!

http://tudorsbiscuitworld.com/Locations.aspx

http://tudorsbiscuitworld.com/Menu/Biscuits.aspx

Unfortunately we don't have one in the eastern panhandle so have to settle for Waffle House, but anytime I am driving into the Interior of God's Mountain Country, I stop for a transfusion of water pump lubricant for my heart!

trails4u
12-14-2019, 12:47 AM
Amen!

http://tudorsbiscuitworld.com/Locations.aspx

http://tudorsbiscuitworld.com/Menu/Biscuits.aspx

Unfortunately we don't have one in the eastern panhandle so have to settle for Waffle House, but anytime I am driving into the Interior of God's Mountain Country, I stop for a transfusion of water pump lubricant for my heart!

Holy Cow, Outpost! Checked out the website...there's like 100 more locations than what I knew back in the day. I think there were maybe 5 of them when I was first ruined by a Thundering Herd biscuit and their B&G.

I'm in South Carolina now, but MIL still has a bunch of family around Ashland, KY. Every time she goes home....she brings me a stash from Tudor's. Highlight of my year!!!!!

Kent Fowler
12-17-2019, 11:26 PM
Whataburger has decent sausage gravy and bisquits.

fcvan
12-18-2019, 04:46 AM
Whistle Stop Cafe, Tehachapi, CA., Cracker Barrel pretty much every one so far, Mom's :) , and wherever I am. The wife does very well herself but leaves that to me. Chocolate B&G is my wife's specialty, I remember when the kids were young, she sprung 'biscuits and brown gravy' on the girls and you should have seen the scowls, that is until they tasted them.

472x1B/A
12-18-2019, 11:09 AM
There's a restaurant in Galesburg Illinois called 'The Broadview', sits right on the Square in the center of town. Their B & G are awesome. Real thick gravy and biscuits are made each morning. The only problem with the place is that it changes owners like every 7 or 8 months. The cook/chef must get paid a fair bit of wages.

gwpercle
12-18-2019, 02:37 PM
If for some reason you can't get gravy with your biscuit ... layer 4 slices of crispy fried bacon on the buttered biscuit for a Bacon Biscuit .... It's not gravy but it's it not bad in a pinch !
Gary

Geezer in NH
12-19-2019, 03:51 PM
Newport NH, next to Pine tree castings [Ruger] Biscuits and gravy, chicken fried steak, couple over easy eggs and serving of baked beans. Best breakfast wife and I had when we moose hunted that area in 1997. YUMMMM!

MT Gianni
12-19-2019, 04:48 PM
I love the stuff but have found if I eat straight proteins for breakfast. ie, eggs and bacon or sausage. I am good til 2 PM for lunch. If I have any carbs I want to kill something and eat it about 10 AM.

Geezer in NH
12-21-2019, 09:48 PM
Eat the carbs, you will hunt harder with the incentive! :bigsmyl2:

Mtnfolk75
12-21-2019, 11:34 PM
Whistle Stop in Tehachapi closed and has been torn down and replaced with a Chain Hotel :sad:

I lived In Tehachapi from 86-97, had breakfast there many times :coffee:

Jniedbalski
12-22-2019, 10:11 AM
My wife makes the best gravy around. She learned from her aunts and grandmother in the late 70’s . I make the biscuits. For some reason she doesn’t like to make them. She could put gravy on bread or eat it plain. sausage gravy is good but I like her bacon grease gravy the best.

clum553946
02-04-2020, 01:15 AM
Going to Toro tomorrow! Hope it’s as good as last time I was there!

Folks,

Toro Place Cafe

Pressman
02-05-2020, 10:32 PM
Gotta do with what's close to home. The Pheasant Cafe in downtown Waseca has new owners and the best biscuits and gravy around these parts. But, it's a Saturday only deal.

redriverhunter
02-06-2020, 08:20 AM
in my neck of the woods there is no quality biscuits and gravy restaurants. I make my own.

Sig556r
02-06-2020, 08:47 AM
When you're in the NW Houston area...http://momscountrydeli.com/index.php/en-us/menu
Good ol' mom & pop shop for early breakfast or late brunch.