PDA

View Full Version : What Snubnose?

alamogunr
12-07-2019, 11:57 PM
I've suddenly gotten the itch for a short barrel revolver. The title says it should be 2" barrel. I don't mind a used gun since it won't normally be a carry weapon although you never know. I've got several revolvers, mostly 4" and longer and mostly single action. I do have a very few 4" & 6" barrel double action revolvers but have always had in the back of my mind that a snubnose would be cool.

I've looked at S&W 638 and 642. The site I looked at normally has used firearms and I assume these are too. Probably LE trade-ins but since it is not specified, maybe not.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Winger Ed.
12-08-2019, 12:02 AM
LE trade ins are fine.
In the old days I bought 6 of S&W, I think model 36's from a Michigan Police Dept..
These were 2" 5 shot, Alum. frame, but Stainless Steel cylinders.

They had holster wear, but 3 of them hadn't been fired and still had the 3 factory proof house flashes on the cylinder faces.
The others had been fired, but only a few times.

The cost was less than half of new ones.

DanishM1Garand
12-08-2019, 12:06 AM
Smith 642.....

I love mine.

bmortell
12-08-2019, 12:32 AM
ive handled 638 and 642, aluminum frame snubs kick pretty good incase you haven't shot one before. I have a model 60 357 now 2 1/8" I mostly shoot 38s, it feels higher quality, but its higher priced. and its stainless which makes it funner to shoot than light ones. but it seems smith charges more for small guns that aren't light weight so its kinda divided.

2A-Jay
12-08-2019, 12:50 AM
I carry a Charter Arms Under Cover .38spl blued 5 round wood grip. it has been a good snub nose for me.

35remington
12-08-2019, 01:03 AM
Either 638 or 642 would be a fine choice but carry comfort is a priority over shootability. 148 cast wadcutter at 660 fps for more pleasant practice.

Top end standard pressure handloads drive a 158 cast bullet at around 810 fps. Last lot I shot of 158 LSWCHP +P got around 830 fps in factory Winchester brand. Top end Plus P handloads with cast 158 add about 50 fps to that.

When an aluminum snubby launches a 158 at 800 plus fps recoil does get a bit bouncy.

Experiment with different loads to find what is tolerable. Light bullets that expand widely and penetrate poorly leave me cold. If controllability and decent performance is needed there is much to be said for a wadcutter of the cast or factory swaged variety at 650-780 fps. Pick the speed you can manage and go with that if you want simple and reliable.

A lot of reading of The Gelatin Diaries may be of some assistance in picking a factory load. If you want to keep it simple for practice or other uses see the preceding paragraph.

35remington
12-08-2019, 01:14 AM
And if you are never going to carry it consider an all steel gun. I do carry one so the aluminum variant is something I live with but it is my “hot weather” and “sweaty yard work” gun and is my gun I carry when I don’t feel like decking myself out with a multi shot 40 and extra magazines.

Pool parties, small events with friends, bass and fly fishing and suchlike. I don’t feels like being Uber Tactical all the time, just as occasionally it is more fun to drive a car than a three quarter ton truck.

samari46
12-08-2019, 02:52 AM
I've a S&W model 36 steel one that hasn't given me a bit of trouble in the 25 years I've used it.Standard and plus +p no problems. Frank

winelover
12-08-2019, 07:08 AM
I'd pass on the S&W J-frames..............I own three of them. IMO, the Ruger LCR is the way to go. Better sights and DAO trigger pull, right out of the box.

Winelover

HATCH
12-08-2019, 08:41 AM
I have owned a few over the years.
36 (all steel 38) - exposed hammer
640 (all stainless 357 mag) - nice piece, no exposed hammer, but heavy
638 (alloy - 38 sp + rated) - shrouded hammer - very light - recoil with +P is sharp
642 (alloy frame, ss barrel and cyl) - 38 sp + rated) - no exposed hammer, very light - recoil with +p is better then the 638)

I don't own the 638 or 36 but I own the other two still.
My carry when its not the glock 17m is the 642.
I don't know its there.
If your not gonna carry it then my suggestion is either the model 36 or the 640.
You will never have any issues. If you get the 36 and you want a pocket piece then bob the hammer.

fivegunner
12-08-2019, 09:07 AM
I have a few S&W snub nose revolvers, the one I carry and shot the most is a S&W 640 I bought used, I carry it in a Milt Sparks POC holster . I tried to post a picture but This site won`t let me . I don`t feel under guned . with 5 rounds of Rem HTP ammo.:bigsmyl2:

Froogal
12-08-2019, 09:53 AM
Smith and Wesson 642 airweight in a pocket holster, in my pocket. It is my primary carry gun. I also have a Ruger SP101. It also fits quite nicely in my pocket, but that Ruger is HEAVY. Target shooting with a snubby can be a bit frustrating. I do it just enough to remain familiar with the gun.

Meatpuppet
12-08-2019, 11:07 AM
I've carried a S&W 340PD for over 10 years.

A little pricy up front, but the Scandium and Titanium never rusts and the insanely light weight ensures I carry it everywhere, all the time. Added a "Clipdraw" attachment so I can just tuck it in my gym shorts when puttering around.

Ive tried the micro-compact 9mms, but I just dont like them. That is until I picked up a Bond Arms Bullpup9...

country gent
12-08-2019, 11:36 AM
I have 2 snubbies at the moment. A smith 340 scandium titanium air light in 357 mag, and a 36 round butt in 38 spl air weight. Herse the basic rundown on them The 340 is light and carries great due to the light weight and small size but do to the light weight and small size recoil is viscous with light wadcutter loads. The revolver wears a set of hip grips making it very easy to carry. The 36 weights a few ounces more and same size package it is much easier to shoot and not much more to carry. Its a nice handy firearm. At one time I also owned a 36 square but all steel snubbie this pistol was heavier but was a dream to shoot do to the added weight Even the heavier 38 defense loads were controllable.

With these small revolvers sight alignment becomes more critical as does trigger pull and release. A nice trade off might be a j frame 38 or 357 with a 3" barrel if smith still makes them a little more weight longer sight radius with not a lot of gain is size.

While I truly like the colts snubs they are bigger in thickness and heavier. They are 6 shot though. Another consideration is these are getting older and may have some issues.

While these aren't inaccurate they are harder to shoot accurately do to light weight small size and short sight radius. Learning to shoot a snub makes you much better with the bigger long barreled revolvers. The heavier trigger pulls they normally have don't help a lot either. Most snubs trigger pulls are double the guns actual weight. LOL.

Petrol & Powder
12-08-2019, 12:17 PM
I have been dedicated to the snubnose platform for decades.

They require training but the snubnose is an excellent self defense tool.

I will not tolerate a hammer spur on a snubnose carried for self defense. The enclosed hammer DAO models and the bobbed hammer versions are the only types I will carry.

The lightweight S&W DAO J-frames such as the 442 are excellent guns for concealed carry. If you prefer a steel frame, the 640 is an all stainless version but the current 640 models have a 2 1/8" barrel as opposed to the 1 7/8" barrel of the early 1990's model 640. That may not sound like much but it is a factor when pocket carry will be the mode of carry. If you can find an early 1990's model 640 in good condition for under $400 - BUY IT!
One of the best DAO J-frames I ever shot was an old model 40. I attempted to buy that gun on the spot but my friend would not let it go despite the large cash offer.
I've shot the Bodyguard models that have the shrouded hammer and I just don't see the attraction. I will NEVER need to shoot a snubnose in single action. The inclusion of a hammer, even a shrouded hammer, is really unnecessary. However, if it came down to a Shrouded hammer verses an exposed hammer; I would pick the shrouded hammer.

The Ruger SP101 is a strong gun and they shoot very well, but they are larger and noticeably heavier than the J-frames. The SP101 better suited for holster carry than pocket carry. The SP101 with a bobbed hammer will fit in a pocket but it's on the heavy side. The factory grips on a SP101 are surprisingly universal. I've seen more than one SP101 owner install aftermarket grips only to put the factory grips back on the gun later. That Ruger grip doesn't look like much but it fits a lot of different people.

Stepping up to the K-frames and older Colts, we have the 2" barrel, fixed sight S&W models 10 and 64 (blued and stainless respectively) These are great guns but are not pocket guns. The old Colt D-frames (Detective Special, Cobra, Agent) are slightly smaller and with a bobbed hammer, right on the edge of what qualifies as a pocket gun in my book. They do give you a six round cylinder. The alloy framed Cobra and Agent with a bobbed hammer would be better for pocket carry than the steel Detective Special. The down side is the Colts are just about exclusively in the collector's market these days and are no longer affordable.

The new Ruger LCR revolvers are nice guns. I've shot a few and fixed some minor problems for friends. They seem to be decent guns.

The old Taurus Model 85 is the one Taurus model they seem to have built right. I've seen some of those guns soldier on for years.

The quality of the Charter Arms Undercover is highly dependent on when it was made. That company has gone through several phases and their quality fluctuated.

GRIPS: Snubnose revolvers are very concealable but the price you pay for that is small grips. If you put large grips on the gun, it is easier to handle and shoot but you lose the advantage of that small size. When large grips are installed on a J-frame, you turn it into a gun the size of a K-frame with a 5 round cylinder. At that point, you might as well carry a 2" K-frame.
Some grips are better than others and will maintain the small size of the gun while allowing better control. Most of the new S&W J-frames come with a "Boot Grip" style grip which is about the best compromise between small size and good handling. Another option with the magna grips on a J-frame is to add a Tyler T-grip adaptor. That will improve the grip without making the overall size of the gun larger.

Alloy verses Steel frames: For guns that are carried everyday, the lightweight alloy frames are welcomed. The heavier steel framed models are slightly more pleasant to practice with but the price you pay everyday is weight. Concealed carry guns take a LOT of abuse. If you go with a steel frame, I would strongly recommend stainless. And by the way, alloy frames are stronger than often perceived. I've been shooting the same S&W model 442 for over 20 years. I had to replace the hand when it got out of time but it's still going strong. The cylinder end shake is just now becoming slightly apparent and I'll probably need to stretch the crane at some point in the future. That gun has seen thousands of rounds.

Magnums : I have shot snubnose revolvers with magnum loads and I came to the conclusion that I did not want to train with magnum loads. Because training is critical with a snubnose revolver, I decided the short barreled magnum revolvers were not for me. YMMV.

Good Luck !

LUCKYDAWG13
12-08-2019, 12:39 PM
S&W 637 for me the one i have has a bobbed hammer

Petrol & Powder
12-08-2019, 12:43 PM

Some size comparisons

Upper left - S&W model 442
Upper right - Ruger SPNY (SP101 variant)
Lower left - Colt Detective Special
Lower Right S&W Model 12 with round butt

The alloy S&W J-frame 442 is the smallest & lightest
The Ruger and Colt are almost equal in size & weight
The S&W model 12 is a lightweight K-frame that weighs less than the Ruger or Colt but it's slightly larger in size.

photomicftn
12-08-2019, 12:57 PM
Pocket/Ankle carry: S&W 642 since the 90's, 90% of the time
Holster snubby: S&W M10, 12, 15 2", easily conceals OWB under a guayabera shirt even in hot weather

Petrol & Powder
12-08-2019, 01:00 PM
Pocket/Ankle carry: S&W 642 since the 90's, 90% of the time
Holster snubby: S&W M10, 12, 15 2", easily conceals OWB under a guayabera shirt even in hot weather

Good combo:drinks:

Outpost75
12-08-2019, 01:48 PM
The J-frames are difficult to shoot well and with the large 0.008"+ cylinder gaps they are commonly shipping them with now and only a 1-7/8" barrel you lose 30-40 fps over a K-frame having a true 2-inch barrel and a snug cylinder gap of 0.005-0.006". I prefer a K-frame snub which gives you something to hang onto and which carries 6 shots.

I have both a steel-frame Model 10-5 and an alloy frame Model 12-2.

.38 Special Snubby Velocity Tests, November 19, 2019, 50 degs. F.

Firearm:______________S&W Mod37_____S&W Mod12
Barrel length___________ 1-7/8"____________2"
Cyl. Gap_______________ 0.008__________0.006

Ammunition:
Ball M41 130FMJ RA66____732 fps, 23 Sd__742 fps, 30 sd_Vietnam-era military for Airweight revolver
Ball M41 130FMJ WCC68__721 fps, 20 Sd__766 fps, 32 Sd_Vietnam-era military for Airweight revolver
Win. 130FN"Service Grade" 739 fps, 22 Sd__771 fps, 5 Sd_Current production "range" ammo
Avg. of 130-gr. FMJ ammo_731 fps________760 fps

Speer 135GHHP 4.1B'eye__710 fps, 19 Sd__772 fps, 18 Sd_Good exp. from Mod. 12, but not from Mod. 37. Needs >750 fps to open up

WRA 148 HBWC_________638 fps, 14 Sd__687 fps, 9 Sd_Vietnam-era training ammo, factory target wadcutter
R-P 148 HBWC 3.2 B'eye__ 770 fps, 9 Sd__797 fps, 17 Sd_"Full Charge" wadcutter handload.

Rem-UMC 158"Pol.Service"_697 fps, 14 Sd_733 fps, 11 Sd_WW2-era police service
WRA 158 LRN "Lubaloy"___699 fps, 19 Sd_720 fps, 14 Sd_WW2-era police service
WRA "cut-off"_ FN"_______729 fps, 19 Sd_757 fps, 12 Sd_Nose cut off to 1.40" ctg. OAL with .25" meplat
RWS 158 FMJFN__________659 fps, 33 Sd_694 fps, 20 Sd_Current production "range" ammo
Avg. of 158-grain ammos__696 fps_______726 fps

Charge establishment with Magtech 158-grain LRN to approximate old factory lead service for range practice
4 grs Bullseye, OAL 1.50"___717 fps, 6 Sd__752 fps, 19 Sd__RCBS Little Dandy Measure rotor #7

oldlongbeard
12-08-2019, 03:41 PM
I like my 1950's vintage S&W airweight snubbie in .38 Spcl. It just goes right in a front pocket of my blue jeans slick as a whistle. Or a coat pocket, cuz up here in the Mitten, we can wear a coat 10-11 months out of the year, and not look out of place ;-)

Regards,
Greg in West Mitten

Sam Casey
12-08-2019, 03:50 PM
I have others, but if I had to choose one it would be my S&W 642.

Ramjet-SS
12-08-2019, 04:48 PM
S&W 642 for CCW it’s a perfect revolver.

Drm50
12-08-2019, 05:03 PM
I've have owned many S&W snubs. I have no use for them and are trade material. Shot them a good bit just plinking. J & K frame both. I have a good size hoard of S&Ws on hand and have had no trouble with any of them. The one I should have kept was a M38 with shrouded hammer. I did mess with it a couple years because it was so light and compact. I don't shoot snubs well enough to suit me but you put them on a rest and the accuracy is surprising. Most smiths will tell you that S&W da revolvers are the most dependable and trouble free revolvers built to date. Colts are good guns but they are subject to more problems. The only other make I would consider is Ruger. If I'm worried enough to carry a gun for PD it's not going to be second rate stuff. I only own one murder weapon a Walther PP 32acp. The only reason I keep it is it shoots well enough to be interesting and is dependable.

Groo
12-08-2019, 05:10 PM
Groo here
I went to a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 spec......
Big bullet , low pressure aka bowling ball..

Petrol & Powder
12-08-2019, 07:07 PM
While I would prefer to shoot a 2" K-frame over the J-frame snubnose, sometimes necessity dictates a compromise.

johniv
12-08-2019, 09:05 PM
I like the J frame snubs. Have several steel and lightweight guns. I tend to pocket carry both, and don’t mind the insignificant (to me) weight difference. Right now it is a 640 in the right front pocket. I think the steel guns are less likely to give trouble, I had to return a 642, because the pin holding the trigger return spring came adrift from the aluminum frame. Less likely to happen in a steel frame, I suspect.

BD
12-08-2019, 09:26 PM
I'm with Winelover on this one. While I've carried a smith j-frame in my right front pocket for the last 25 years, I've found people new to snubbers have a much easier time learning to shoot the Ruger LCR. It's just more ergonomic somehow. As for me, I'm stuck with the j-frame as I simply too used to it. The lightweight S&W J-frames don't last that long, maybe 10,000 rounds at the outside, which is about as many rounds as it will take you to get good with one.
I'm on my second one.

dlbarr
12-08-2019, 09:36 PM
Not sure what your specific rqmts would be, but I just bought a Taurus 605 in .357 mag. I will probably shoot nothing hotter than +P and it will be my carry gun. All of the reviews I read on it gave it really high marks and it was like $285 compared to other options closer to 400+. Just mho....i am no expert.

Good Cheer
12-08-2019, 09:56 PM
Trying out Lyman #41026, the Lee 41-195 SWC and 41-240RN.
Soon will be the #41027HB (loaded backwards of course!).

Oh, sorry, it's the Charter Pug.

Good Cheer
12-08-2019, 10:00 PM
I could see a big hollow point for this .41 Rivet cavity.

Texas by God
12-08-2019, 11:39 PM
I have owned a S&W Cheifs special, two Colt Police Positive Special shortened to 2”, a Charter Arms Bulldog and Undercover, and a Taurus 85. All were dead nuts reliable, but the Smith and the Colts were quite accurate- enough so for collecting the odd rabbit or squirrel if need be. I’m currently snubless but I’d like a m38 blue S&W Bodyguard- because I like the SA option. Colts are For collectors these days. My pocket gun is a S&W Shield 9mm which is fine but I do like wheelguns.

RJM52
12-09-2019, 12:35 AM
alamogunr...what do you plan on doing with the gun and how much do you plan on shooting it...

If you have no plans on carrying it, other than occasionally, I would go steel frame...just much more pleasant to shoot and will last a lot longer...

My favorites:
S&W 649 (the older pre-357 Magnum that take .38 Special +P)

Ruger LCR .357 Magnum (Same size as the .38 Special but has a steel frame instead of aluminum...weighs 2-3 oz. more)

Ruger LCR 9mm

Ruger LCR .327 Federal

To be carried all the time:
S&W 642 or 442

Best is to buy one of each....

Bob

lightload
12-09-2019, 01:31 AM
I prefer the Smith J frame but have owned the Ruger LCR. It too is a fine gun. I prefer the J because I have always been a S&W fan. The Ruger will shoot as well and as accurately as the J and and would probably outlast the J. Both will be working when the first owner is dead and gone. If I were jumping out of airplanes or leaving for an extended wilderness trip, I would take the Ruger because it is easier to strip and clean.

stubshaft
12-09-2019, 01:20 PM
I used to carry a model 19 with 2 1/2" barrel and round butt but switched to J frames. My current carry gun is a 642 but I do alternate with my other two model 36's.

roverboy
12-09-2019, 01:30 PM
I've got a Taurus 605 SS 2". Good little gun but, recoil is a little nasty with full power loads. Shoots really good though.

alamogunr
12-09-2019, 01:36 PM
I've been looking online. Found one S&W Model 10 in excellent condition. Square butt makes it a little bigger. Older Smiths are priced at a premium. I have to admit that I'm attracted, mostly due to a weakness for "pride of ownership".

Also looked at Ruger LCR. Watching a Hickok 45 video on the Ruger. Not much "pride" there but seems like a decent revolver despite the modern appearance.

I'm not too concerned about recoil in a lightweight gun. I doubt that I would shoot full power loads and if I went with the Model 10, the extra weight would modify the recoil anyway.

Greg S
12-09-2019, 02:04 PM
If you plan on shooting it alot, for comfort and enjoyment sake, look at a K frame smith otherwise it'll be a 20-30 shot outting. The steel Js might get alittle more use but I really miss my M10 2" and missed out on all the 19/66 that the PDs dumped when plastic fantastic came out.

35remington
12-09-2019, 05:03 PM
Put top end 158 Plus P through an Airweight in any quantity at a range session and believe me...you’ll be concerned about recoil at that point. A steel gun is a lot less fatiguing.

Enough standard velocity ammo is not a walk in the park after awhile either. Aluminum for carry steel for shootability.

charlie b
12-09-2019, 05:11 PM
If you are not going to carry it a lot then get a steel version. I loved my Ruger SP101. It was a bit snappy with magnum loads but was pleasant to shoot .38's. I put a lot of rounds through it as well as carried it a lot. I also had a Taurus 85 which was smaller and lighter and a Taurus 805 (but screws tended to loosen with .357 loads). The two Taurus' had great triggers too (80's versions). I ended up selling or trading all of them for one reason or another.

I also like the little Ruger LCR, but, have not bought one yet :) I've fired them a bit and they are not a pistol I would shoot magnum loads at the range on a regular basis. Maybe this next year I will get one as a field gun. I would also not shy away from an older Smith or Colt. I just don't like buying pistols without handling/inspecting them in person before purchase.

rfd
12-09-2019, 05:59 PM
love my S&W 642 centennial #103810 (no internal lock). cheapest i can find now is grabagun for $357/shipped.

https://snwcdnprod.azureedge.net/sites/default/files/styles/product_main/public/firearms/images/103810_01_lg_1.jpg

pettypace
12-09-2019, 06:00 PM
I wish Charter Arms would lop a 1/2" off the Bulldog barrel (or add a front sight to the Boomer).

pworley1
12-09-2019, 06:31 PM
I have had a steel frame 36 for more years than I can remember. It loves cast and has never failed in any way.

Petrol & Powder
12-09-2019, 06:33 PM
I've been looking online. Found one S&W Model 10 in excellent condition. Square butt makes it a little bigger. Older Smiths are priced at a premium. I have to admit that I'm attracted, mostly due to a weakness for "pride of ownership".

Also looked at Ruger LCR. Watching a Hickok 45 video on the Ruger. Not much "pride" there but seems like a decent revolver despite the modern appearance.

I'm not too concerned about recoil in a lightweight gun. I doubt that I would shoot full power loads and if I went with the Model 10, the extra weight would modify the recoil anyway.

alamogunr - Your anticipated use should be a big part of your decision making process.

How Will You Carry the Gun ?
How Often Will You Carry the Gun?
Is Absolute Concealment a Critical Factor?
What Type of Activity Will You Be Engaged in While Carrying the Gun?

As much as I prefer the K-frame snubnose models over the J-frame models (And I completely agree with Outpost75's prior post), sometimes necessity dictates a compromise.

Factors such as pocket carry / ankle holster / OWB holster will influence your decision (or at least should influence your decision).

Is concealment critical or if the gun prints occasionally it will be no big deal?

Will the gun be carried daily? Will the gun be carried daily ALL day long ? (this is more important than most people realize)

Will you be engaged in heavy physical activity? Running errands? Dealing with people that don't know you're armed ? Working around water?

A snubnose is an excellent self-defense tool but the decision to equip yourself with a snubnose is only the first part of the decision.
It's like saying you want a motorcycle.
Off-road, highway, both? , 10 miles a week or 300 miles a day?, Touring with gear for months of riding or sport riding for less than a day at a time? ???
Deciding on a Snubnose revolver is the first step in that decision making process.

onelight
12-09-2019, 06:45 PM
alamogunr - Your anticipated use should be a big part of your decision making process.

How Will You Carry the Gun ?
How Often Will You Carry the Gun?
Is Absolute Concealment a Critical Factor?
What Type of Activity Will You Be Engaged in While Carrying the Gun?

As much as I prefer the K-frame snubnose models over the J-frame models (And I completely agree with Outpost75's prior post), sometimes necessity dictates a compromise.

Factors such as pocket carry / ankle holster / OWB holster will influence your decision (or at least should influence your decision).

Is concealment critical or if the gun prints occasionally it will be no big deal?

Will the gun be carried daily? Will the gun be carried daily ALL day long ? (this is more important than most people realize)

Will you be engaged in heavy physical activity? Running errands? Dealing with people that don't know you're armed ? Working around water?

A snubnose is an excellent self-defense tool but the decision to equip yourself with a snubnose is only the first part of the decision.
It's like saying you want a motorcycle.
Off-road, highway, both? , 10 miles a week or 300 miles a day?, Touring with gear for months of riding or sport riding for less than a day at a time? ???
Deciding on a Snubnose revolver is the first step in that decision making process.

:goodpost:
I would add 1 more category
My favorite , range toy :razz:

rking22
12-09-2019, 06:45 PM
Lots of good advice, per the norm around here. I did notice one glaring omission. I note you primarily just want one to play with and not to carry( I think you may change you mind after spending a little time together). With that in mind, I would suggest a K frame or SP101 for starters. I love j frames, but steel for me, a M36 specifically. The whole family carries snubs, 2 M36s(bones hammers) and a Taurus M85.
Back to that omission, if I were looking252675 for your criteria:)

Yeah, used out of production ect, but an outstanding revolver! I have a 4 inch, and if I come across a 2 inch service six for reasonable it will come home.

Petrol & Powder
12-09-2019, 07:28 PM

rking22 - I will say the Speed-Six holds a place in my heart.

However, I never really considered it to be a "snubnose" (not that snubnose is a well defined concept)

The Speed-Six, seen on the left in the above picture, has a 2.75" barrel which puts it in the 3" category for me.
It's also very heavy for its size. They are great revolvers but just a little outside of the snubnose class in my book.

rfd
12-09-2019, 07:37 PM
as P&P posted, it's all about a firearm's primary intended purpose. start there, first & foremost. for lotsa folks it's not so much about purpose as it is aesthetics, and then that cool 3" bbl "kit gun", with its 3 finger grip and heavy frame is found to be not as ideal as an alum frame 2" bbl, 2 finger CCW snubby.

alamogunr
12-09-2019, 10:34 PM
I guess I need to make one thing clear. I'm 77 years old. I still have my health and get around well for my age. Actually, I do a whole lot better than most I know that are my age. I still work out(although not as often as I used to) and try to use common sense about most things physical. I do know that I am not the man I was 10(or even 5) years ago. Time marches on. Several have mentioned recoil. I am acquainted with recoil thru 1911's, 5 shot .45 Colt conversions, .475 L and .454Casull. Not that I shoot them every day. The worst experience I have had with recoil was a .44 Mag Ruger Blackhawk(w/square back trigger guard). That gun went to a gunsmith for conversion to 5 shot .45 and a reshaped grip frame.

When several posters asked about my use for the gun in question, I have to say, it could be anything. I just want one. I've got several handguns that could be pressed into service as a carry firearm. I don't carry every day, all day. At my age, I'm not going to put myself in situations that might increase the possibility of personal risk. The closest I can think of that might be risky is going to the ATM after dark. I usually have a BIG handgun(think 1911 or Glock 21) on the seat beside me. Since it is a drive thru, I don't get out of the truck. Not a big deal because I seldom go after dark.

I don't feel comfortable carrying in church. I haven't had training that several LEO's in the congregation have had, so I prefer not to take a chance. The only thing I have considered is a baton. That too is a bit of a stretch since they require a certain amount of training to be effective.

I hope this has cleared things up a bit. The information posted so far has been very helpful. I let the auction for the Model 10 expire with no bids hoping it might be relisted at a lower starting point. I'm also considering the Ruger LCR. I'm a reluctant fan of Hickok 45 and watched his video reviewing the LCR. He was impressed with it.

Sorry to run on so long but felt I needed to be forthright about my intentions.

onelight
12-09-2019, 11:48 PM
The LCR has a good trigger and is light weight .My wife has a 649 and the LCR she much prefers the Ruger.

35remington
12-09-2019, 11:58 PM
I don’t put myself into situations that put me into increased personal risk either. But that is a poor excuse not to carry if you can do so.

The other party trying to do you harm gets a vote, and even if you do not decide to engage in personal activities that put you in increased personal risk, the other person might decide that you are the perfect candidate to put at risk and won’t ask your permission before doing so. Who knows with certainty what is safe and what is not?

Aging people get increasingly put in the “vulnerable” category wherever they go. Best to be so attired as to contest that assessment when it is being made by someone else.

Just my opinion. Ultimately it is the personal choice and not mine to make for someone else.

Jtarm
12-10-2019, 12:02 AM
I’m with Outpost75: K-frame all the way, I even have a twin to his M-10.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191210/9bb3e77a4c2a9c1414235c60043e323a.jpg

K-frames are so much easier to shoot accurately than J-frames.

I carry a 3” K-frame all day, every day in a Lobo AIWB holster. I don’t get the complaints about weight, I don’t notice it.

I’ll gladly pack some extra weight and bulk for a gun I’m highly-confident in and that’s fun to shoot (which means I practice with it a lot.)

Petrol & Powder
12-10-2019, 07:14 AM
alamogunr - How do you intend to carry the gun?

Ankle Holster?
Pocket ?
OWB holster?
Some other method?

winelover
12-10-2019, 07:25 AM
I too carry all day every day and won't carry anything that weighs over 20 ounces, unloaded. Won't have an exposed hammer on a snubbie, either! During the warm months, it's a 342 Airweight. During the cold months, I switch over to the 357 chambered LCR. Believe me when I say, I can tell the two ounce difference in weight.............my rebuilt knee, reminds me.

Ninety percent of the time, it's pocket carry, in a Mika pocket holster. Tried a IWB, but all I got out of it, was marred up backs of the wooden kitchen chairs, from the exposed grip. The only time I use an IWB holster is when working around my acreage.

Winelover

alamogunr
12-10-2019, 10:12 AM
alamogunr - How do you intend to carry the gun?

Ankle Holster?
Pocket ?
OWB holster?
Some other method?

Probably OWB. I've got a couple of IWB holsters and don't care for them. I know they are all the rage but, unlike many have posted, I don't carry all day, every day. IWB requires different size pants and I'm not one to have 2 different size pants on hand. In summer my shirts are big and long enough to cover. In winter, I might have the gun in a coat pocket if it is cold enough to really wrap up. That is not often here in Tennessee.

onelight
12-10-2019, 11:16 AM
I also carry all day every day , owb or iwb occasionally shoulder` I don't care for pocket carry normally 3 to 4" autos or revolvers .
I could be comfortable with any that have been posted but prefer longer barrels. But I likeum all.

Outpost75
12-10-2019, 12:45 PM
I routinely carry my Airweight Model 12 in a pocket holster. Bob Mika makes the old school cop pocket holsters which fit a K-frame, in either square cut or round cut, as needed to fit securely in the hand warmer pocket of a uniform P-coat or your Carharts. In summer it fits as easily in the hip pocket of my Duluth Trading middle management chinos or firehose work pants, as they cut the pockets deep for tools, etc., and after all the gun is a "tool."

I have a 4-inch Model 12 also, which is a common winter coat-pocket carry. The Mika pocket holster will also stay put if tucked IWB and I sometimes carry the 4-incher that way in warmer weather when a coat isn't needed.

35remington
12-10-2019, 01:55 PM
When carried IWB I wear the same pant size as without. The gun fits in the crease between groin and thigh at 1 o’clock. A j frame size revolver makes this especially easy, but it works with larger pistols as well.

Petrol & Powder
12-10-2019, 04:49 PM
Outpost75, I will respectfully say that in order to pocket carry a 2" K-frame, one really needs large pockets. Your identification of the Duluth Trading chinos and work pants is key. Without the appropriate clothing, it would be difficult to pull that off.

Most Khakis, blue jeans and dress pants will not conceal a 2" K-frame within the pocket or at least not well.

Coat pockets and BDU cargo pockets will conceal a K-frame

Clothing is key

rintinglen
12-10-2019, 05:15 PM
Outpost75, I will respectfully say that in order to pocket carry a 2" K-frame, one really needs large pockets. Your identification of the Duluth Trading chinos and work pants is key. Without the appropriate clothing, it would be difficult to pull that off.

Most Khakis, blue jeans and dress pants will not conceal a 2" K-frame within the pocket or at least not well.

Clothing is key
Yes indeed. It’s hard to conceal a revolver when you’re naked.:kidding:

Outpost75
12-10-2019, 05:27 PM

Clothing is key

Skinny jeans don't cut it, and with 5.11 clothing you may as well wear a raid jacket stenciled

I AM A MALL NINJA!

JBinMN
12-10-2019, 05:48 PM
I don't have an issue with CC a snubby, ( 38 sp. Off Duty C.A. w/bobbed hammer, & a .357M LCR) even with the added 3 finger grips on both, in my pockets. Particularly in cargo pants style shorts, although I wear blue jeans quite a bit. I usually carry in my back pocket for the style of draw I prefer, but I can always still place the pistol & pocket holster in the front if I want without it printing much.
Of course I went from 190 pounds to 235 pounds in the last 5-6 years, so my "tool shed" over my belt now requires me to add suspenders to hold my trousers up, might contribute to the concealment. ( I had to give up cross draw, unless shoulder holster as the "tool shed" prevents ease of draw, but I carry in pocket with the snubbies more than shoulder holster.)

I think that alamogunr should just get a snubbie he likes to the feel of & that he will be comfortable shooting, and/or CC when he feels like it.

So, I would recommend going to a place that either rents snubbies, or allows for shooting the handguns before buying type shop, or even ask a few friends to shoot theirs before committing to any particular type/make/model/etc.. Shoot some & see what ya like best before buying, is what I am trying to say...

Kind of like "test drive" before ya buy a vehicle. ( I do not buy anything sight unseen that my life might depend on, including vehicles, as well as firearms. , but that might just be me..)

So, while these posts of advice are definitely showing experience with these snubbies, carrying methods, etc & is all pretty good advice, I think going out & doing a bit of testing by shooting would be the best case scenario before a purchase.

If you cannot do that testing, then it is gonna be a tossup if what ya get fits or if you like it or not. Which can be an expensive deal if one keeps moving to another & another til one finds the one that works the best...

Which reminds me of my holster box, which I am sure I am not alone in having one... and the "testing done, only after the purchase most of the time... Let me just say that I have more holsters than handguns at present. I would rather it be the other way around, but that is an expensive way to do things & only certain folks can afford to do that...
;)

G'Luck! whatever ya decide to get. I hope it is the one you want & doers just what ya expect it to do ( the first time. ;) )

Petrol & Powder
12-10-2019, 06:15 PM
Skinny jeans don't cut it, and with 5.11 clothing you may as well wear a raid jacket stenciled

I AM A MALL NINJA!

Didn't say I wear skinny jeans or 5.11's

Petrol & Powder
12-10-2019, 06:22 PM
JBinMN, that "test drive" you speak of is important but shooting the gun is only part of that test drive.
How the gun will be carried is just as important as how it shoots, and in fact, may even be more important.

Concealed carry guns are carried a LOT more than they are shot. A gun at home does you no good when you aren't at home with it. If the gun isn't available at the time of need, its useless.

Outpost75
12-10-2019, 06:38 PM
Didn't say I wear skinny jeans or 5.11's

I didn't mean to imply that you did, but put that out only as a satorial suggestion for the youngsters under age 40 who think they need to be tacti-cool 8-)

JBinMN
12-10-2019, 07:11 PM
JBinMN, that "test drive" you speak of is important but shooting the gun is only part of that test drive.
How the gun will be carried is just as important as how it shoots, and in fact, may even be more important.

Concealed carry guns are carried a LOT more than they are shot. A gun at home does you no good when you aren't at home with it. If the gun isn't available at the time of need, its useless.

I can agree with that. I also think that one should be able to shoot a handgun well, or it is no use to carry it if one has trouble hitting anything with it & either from recoil, the weight of it one way or the other, or other issues one might have with using one.. Granted a snubbie is less likely to be used at longer distances I would think, simply because of the bbl length, but what use is carrying "anything" for self defense if one is not able to use it well?

{BTW, I don't see myself using one out further than perhaps 10 yds in S.Def., even though I practice at more distance. If I am far enough out , then I reckon that I might be able to get out of the situation without shooting, and to top it off, in MN one has to be "reasonable" about the use of a firearm in S.D. & if one can escape or avoid, then that is what is expected by law here.)

You make a good point about the carry situation & I would still recommend for alamogunr, ( or anyone for that matter & if it is possible...) to ask around to see if he can borrow a snubbie or snubbies from someone that he knows, or even a reasonable gun shop might allow it with a deposit, if they know him well enough.

I guess I would put it this way, should one of my buddies or family ask me to borrow one of mine for while to see if they liked it & would carry it, then if I trusted them, I would loan one out. I have done the same for long guns in the past, so I don't see much difference, as long as they can legally carry it concealed.

Anyway, I got the impression that it would be generally not carried much by alamogunrs earlier comments & so I offered the "test drive" possibilities as perhaps some options to consider. In the end it is alamogunr who is going to end up deciding what is right for him. All most of us, if not all of us can do, is suggest things to help make "informed" decisions about things based on what we ourselves know &/or experienced.
:)

alamogunr
12-10-2019, 08:47 PM
Folks, I appreciate all the response to my OP and hope I can act on some of the recommendations some time in the future. I have been watching the national news for the last couple of days and this evening's news settled it. Rather than buy another gun at this time, I'm going to make donations to the NRA(This is not an attempt to start another "I hate the NRA" sequence of posts), The Tennessee Firearms Asso., and one or two other pro 2nd Amendment organizations. I have sons and grandsons and a granddaughter that are in danger of losing their firearms rights.

Maybe sometime later I will look at a snubby again. In the meantime I'm going to print out this entire thread and keep it for reference.

alamogunr
12-20-2019, 12:08 PM
Well! I just completed donations to NRA-ILA, Tennessee Firearms Asso., GOA, and Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. There are probably others just as deserving but these are the ones I'm familiar with.

catboat
12-23-2019, 11:03 PM
If interested, I will be putting my S&W j-frame , blued steel model 49 "Bodyguard" up for sale soon. Thinning the herd. 1 7/8" barrel. 5 shot, 38 special, single or double action, schrouded hammer area ( humpback).
S&W model 49 Bodyguard

DEWC full-charge load article:
https://www.grantcunningham.com/2011/11/ed-harris-revisiting-the-full-charge-wadcutter/

Papercidal
12-23-2019, 11:20 PM
ATTACH=CONFIG]253493[/ATTACH]

My little 49 is one of the best shooting handguns I own I recently traded into a pinned and recessed 2.5” model 19 that should get to my ffl after the holidays it should scratch a few itches at once as I love the combat magnum and short barrel revolvers.

alamogunr
12-24-2019, 01:04 AM
Appreciate the offer, catboat, but as I posted, I've used the funds I planned for the handgun to donate to various organizations that support the 2nd Amendment. In the overall scheme of things, my donations won't make a huge difference but maybe others feel as I do that every little bit helps.

Bill*B
12-24-2019, 02:46 AM
Well, to each, their own. My favorite is a S&W 37 "Airweight" in .38 special. Alamogunr, an NRA donation is quite reasonable, but please don't forget to vote in the next election. It is quite obvious who wants to disarm us.

Petander
12-24-2019, 09:03 AM
I was handling one of these last week. Felt like a good gun,good workmanship. Definitely fun.

Handling it left a little "want" in my head.

https://i.postimg.cc/2517gZ5z/IMG-20191224-145828-266.jpg

LUCKYDAWG13
12-24-2019, 09:32 AM

I AM A MALL NINJA!

this is what I wear for the most part or their shorts They have Deep pocked https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-duluthflex-ballroom-relaxed-fit-khakis-75287.html?cgid=mens-pants-casual-pants&dwvar_75287_color=KHA#start=2&cgid=mens-pants-casual-pants

alamogunr
12-24-2019, 10:37 AM
Well, to each, their own. My favorite is a S&W 37 "Airweight" in .38 special. Alamogunr, an NRA donation is quite reasonable, but please don't forget to vote in the next election. It is quite obvious who wants to disarm us.

I haven't missed voting in any election in which I am eligible since I was 21. My first was the presidential election between Goldwater and Johnson. I learned a lesson in that election which I have never forgotten.