PDA

View Full Version : Turrets

loveruger
12-07-2019, 11:32 PM
What's your favorite turret press an why.

tazman
12-07-2019, 11:50 PM
Lee Classic Cast Turret. Speed, convenience, and price.

OS OK
12-07-2019, 11:56 PM
I would have to say the Lyman T Mag II...

https://i.imgur.com/kFoUrBn.jpg?2

It's small and it's rugged, no flex in the turret top and it's the workhorse in my shop for working up loads.
Turret changes are very quick, just the one center bolt locks the turret on and there's no loose index balls or springs that'll pop out if not careful.

Over the years I've collected extra turrets and have all my pistol calibers mounted and ready to go.

https://i.imgur.com/6o2dJRc.jpg?1

Recently I discovered that I could velcro attach a ball hat clip-on brim light in front of the powder throw & seater stations to have a better look into a powder filled case.

https://i.imgur.com/dsDJO28.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2H1lGNE.jpg

I've been very happy with this turret for many years...wouldn't trade it for any other turret on the market.

rbuck351
12-08-2019, 12:01 AM
Mine is the Lyman AA. It has the right number of holes in the turret, 4, there is nothing in the way of the shell holder or the dies and it is a very solid press.

loveruger
12-08-2019, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the replys. I now have a old Lyman spar-t, my first turret. Looking for a press where I can have my dies set up and just switch turrets easily.

JBinMN
12-08-2019, 12:58 AM
I have a Lyman Spar-T, a Lyman Truline Jr. & a Lee Classic Cast turret.

I prefer the Lee because of the ease of changing turrets to change over from one caliber to the other by having extra turrets. Even if I had extra turrets for the other two, I think I would stick to the Lee for quick changes.

I currently use the Spar T & the Truline jr. for specific calibers only. Not unlike the single stage presses I use like that as well.

Based on your comment in the post above mine, post #5, I would suggest you look at the Lee Classic Cast, or even the value turret press for the ease & quick change abiities & the cost of the turret plates is not that expensive.

G'Luck! on whatever you decide to do!
:)

onelight
12-08-2019, 03:53 AM
Lee classic Turret simple and quick to set up I like the way it catches primers and the priming system works well for priming on the press quick to change from auto to manual index I like the way the rotation of the turret settles the powder in the measure for consistent charges even with powders like red dot. I have 2 single stage presses and a progressive that I use but the LCT is my favorite to load on.

Shopdog
12-08-2019, 04:04 AM
Orange T-mag. Stays setup with 45acp and 38/357 dies. With powder through expanders machined to accept the two Lyman Accumeasures that stay mounted. Two Orange Crushers handle all my rifle chores.

2A-Jay
12-08-2019, 04:08 AM
My Lyman SparT 6 station Turret. Because it is the only one I have and it was Free. I only use it for Hand gun calibers.

Hollywood_Goon
12-08-2019, 07:17 AM
What's your favorite turret press an why.

Hollywood Senior Turret press, cause I can reload pistol, rifle and shotgun on it.

Green Frog
12-08-2019, 09:04 AM
Mine is the Lyman AA. It has the right number of holes in the turret, 4, there is nothing in the way of the shell holder or the dies and it is a very solid press.

Maybe because it’s my only full sized turret press, but my AA was my choice when I bought it. Of course when I’m feeling nostalgic there’s still my original TruLine Jr press on the left front corner of the bench in its position of honor! [smilie=l:

Froggie

Three44s
12-08-2019, 11:38 AM
My first love is varmint/predator hunting. As such I work most with small bullets expecting a lot of accuracy. A turret press concerns me because of the turret tipping during operations.

For these cartridges I use my single stage presses.

For my other loading I use turrets and my best one is the Lee Classic cast. My Spar T gives me easier access to a cartridge (my big ole farmer paws) but it adds more to runout that does the Lee.

Another of my reloading venues involves handgun loading. There the turret really shines. I will take a revolver casing and size it and bell it on one setting. Even though I run carbide dies I still lube my casings so I clean them after sizing/belling.

I also load with a Hornady LNL AP but in loading field loads for say a 44 Mag or 480 Ruger I still batch them because I am not loading a lot of rounds at a time. A turret press is hands down better for these small runs of specialized handgun rounds.

Three44s

jaguarxk120
12-08-2019, 12:06 PM
There is but one turret press--- the Hollywood Universal!!!

All others are just wanna- bees!!!!

rbuck351
12-08-2019, 12:07 PM
I have never quite understood the rapid die change many seem to consider important. It take me less than a minute and a half to swap out three dies. I have two truline jrs, a spar t, a CH three stage inline, the AA and several single stage and several progressive presses including three Lee Pro 1000s, a star, a Texan shotshell press and a Dillon 550b. Out of this bunch, my favorites to load on are the AA, the Dillon and a new to me Bonanza coax. I believe the coax is the fastest press to swap dies that has been made. It takes about 3 seconds to swap a die and you rarely have to swap the shell holder. Just leave your die rings locked in place and swap dies. With most turrets it's about the same time as swapping a turret. Lee being an exception. I prime on my presses and primer handling is more important to me than swapping dies. Primer handling is an issue with many presses and other than the Dillon I hand set primers so the primer punch location is important to me.

MrHarmless
12-08-2019, 12:09 PM
There is but one turret press--- the Hollywood Universal!!!

All others are just wanna- bees!!!!

*Was*

If they still made them, I'm sure there'd be a big market for it.

Three44s
12-08-2019, 12:15 PM
*Was*

If they still made them, I'm sure there'd be a big market for it.

I salute anyone that collects the Hollywood and Herters tools but I want to load with a tool that is current enough to be affordable and that stuff for it is also accessible.

Three44s

Three44s
12-08-2019, 12:27 PM
I have never quite understood the rapid die change many seem to consider important. .................
.......... Out of this bunch, my favorites to load on are the AA, the Dillon and a new to me Bonanza coax. I believe the coax is the fastest press to swap dies that has been made. It takes about 3 seconds to swap a die and you rarely have to swap the shell holder...............

While it takes a minute to screw a die out another back in it takes much more time to get it adjusted. You have a lock ring but never the less they seem to need more finessing than just dogging it down. With a turret press you just click it to the next desired die.

There is no doubt that the Forester Co Ax is a very good proposition and a scan of retailers web pages with the tag “out of stock” proves that a lot of handloaders are still buying them. Forester needs to run a night shift to keep up with demand!

Three44s

ukrifleman
12-08-2019, 03:05 PM
I load 17 calibres with a Lee Classic cast turret press and I find it to be a great press for the money.
Changing between calibres is so quick and easy.
Once you have initially set up a particular set of dies into its dedicated turret, you are good to go at a moments notice.

ukrifleman

Rcmaveric
12-08-2019, 03:46 PM
I use the Lee four hole turret press. It loads great ammo. I have 6 turret heads.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Phlier
12-08-2019, 03:50 PM
Another vote for the Lee Classic Turret here. Great little press. It's so cheap/fast/easy to switch calibers.

oger
12-08-2019, 03:53 PM
The Hollywood Senior Turret is made like a very large Swiss watch but suffers from poor priming system. The iron Universal isn't as good and suffers from the same priming problems. I still consider the T7 as the best current turret press but it's priming system can be troublesome but at least the turret seems to be the most stable of the modern presses.

LUBEDUDE
12-08-2019, 04:03 PM
I like all of the vintage manual Turrets. I have no experience with newer manual turrets, but if I were to buy one it would either be the new 8 holer Lyman or Redding T-7.

KenT7021
12-08-2019, 04:13 PM
I have two Lyman All Americans,a Lyman T-Mag II.and a RCBS turret press.They stay set up for specific calibers.The RCBS has a bit of flex in the turret.The Lyman T-Mag II does not.RCBS sent me a replacement washer for the turret.That helped but did not remove all of the flex.Adding thin shims will lock the turret up.The ammo it loads in fine so they may have built some flex into the turret.The Lyman is the better press.

rbuck351
12-08-2019, 04:24 PM
I find the lock on die rings don't move at all and removing and replacing them once they have been locked doesn't require any adjusting except for the bullet seater when changing bullet profiles. The Lee O rings are a whole new problem that is easily fixed with any lock on ring. And NO wrenches on the lock nuts except the allen wrench to set them. Finger tight each time and it's like a micrometer. Threads being what they are, the die will go back where it was if tightened against a stop nut that hasn't moved. Whether or not the turret moves is another discussion.

Kevin Rohrer
12-09-2019, 07:21 PM
Any of these, because they are no longer made and are the Cadillacs of old-school reloading.

PHyrbird
12-10-2019, 01:40 AM
The turret crew needs to think hard about the Dillon concept. The 550B & 650 have a head that swaps in seconds. If one sticks to the same case rims there's no need to change shellholder. I've had Lee turret, Lyman single stage turret, CH 3 & 4 stations, all ended trading material. I kept Dillon, MEC, Lyman Trueline (only cause the dies are cute), CH Champion, & recently got a RCBS on sale + rebate. I use the Lee Hand press more than all, because I can be comfortable in front of the TV, no matter what the weather. The RCBS is great for sizing, (I did check the headspace with a caliper for consistent shoulders) terrible priming, the CH is goto for all heavy work, Dillon for all pistol & straight wall cases. Problem is I'm outta bench space, swapping some equipment mounts.

abunaitoo
12-10-2019, 05:00 AM
I have the Lyman, Herters, and old Lee three hole.
Use the Lee the most.

onelight
12-10-2019, 08:27 AM
Any of these, because they are no longer made and are the Cadillacs of old-school reloading.

You make a good point , those are a class act !

jaguarxk120
12-10-2019, 11:15 AM
You will notice the Super Turret takes four priming punch's.

If you do not know why, then you are a rank amateur at reloading!!!!

Baltimoreed
12-14-2019, 02:46 PM
I’ve been running a pair of Lyman T2 turrets for years. Done some mods to them to speed things up, ramps that drop loads into case bins, case kickers, primer arm assists [I prime on the press] and they use Dillon 550 powder measures. They work great. The photo is old as it has a 450 measure but I now are using the 550. They make terrific .45 cas loads.

Mr. Don
12-15-2019, 09:04 PM
This works for me.

Rockindaddy
12-15-2019, 10:17 PM
Hey OK ! I have an old pair of Spar T Lymans that I still use for small batches of ammo. I like the big Lyman T Mag you have! Do they still make that press? The LED light is a good idea! Want to attach a light on my Dillons so I can better see what is happening.

OS OK
12-16-2019, 09:23 AM
Hey OK ! I have an old pair of Spar T Lymans that I still use for small batches of ammo. I like the big Lyman T Mag you have! Do they still make that press? The LED light is a good idea! Want to attach a light on my Dillons so I can better see what is happening.

Unfortunately their not still in production...but now that people are getting so hot'sy for them 8 holers I would imagine you can pick up a good used one for a reasonable price.
Those LED lights come in an awesome array of sizes and designs...I'll bet there's someone out there that has it figured (turret lighting) out better than I have done.

hollywood63
12-19-2019, 04:45 AM
You will notice the Super Turret takes four priming punch's.

If you do not know why, then you are a rank amateur at reloading!!!!

Ok being a rank amateur school me. Because honestly I don't know why.

6bg6ga
12-19-2019, 09:30 AM
I would have to second that. I absolutely love my Lyman T- mag press. It is my go to press for all my rifle loading that is larger rifle loading I still like to load 223 on the 650 once I have sized them on the Lyman T-Mag.

onelight
12-19-2019, 10:08 AM
This works for me.

Me to Mr. Don , For my use , the best light to medium duty press any one makes for my use.
But some of these old giant turrets are amazing to look at they make our little LCT presses look like toys.:smile:

Three44s
12-19-2019, 11:52 AM
The Hollywood presses are grand pieces of tooling, no doubt about it.

For me however I have to see parts and pieces for something I am going to rely upon to be available in real time. In America we have liberty, those that wish to pursue Hollywood presses and such are free to do so and I am free to cheer folks that are successful in that endeavor. I can drool from the sidelines at some of the finest reloading equipment ever built from afar.

In the meantime I have access to any and all current and near current tooling I might want to pursue to further my own handloading experiences.

Best regards

Three44s

iShoot17
12-19-2019, 06:57 PM
Almost 40 posts and I am only the second to bring up the Redding T-7?!

Markopolo
12-19-2019, 07:23 PM
i also vote for the Lee classic turret... It aint no Hollywood, but I aint no Movie Star!!!!

jaguarxk120
12-19-2019, 07:40 PM
The four primer posts were required for the four different types of primers.
Years ago primer makers made a flat faced primer and a round face primer,
in both large and small sizes. This required a primer punch that had a
rounded face to support the primer during seating. So the Hollywood Turret press
had a turret for just the primer seating posts.

onelight
12-19-2019, 08:24 PM
The four primer posts were required for the four different types of primers.
Years ago primer makers made a flat faced primer and a round face primer,
in both large and small sizes. This required a primer punch that had a
rounded face to support the primer during seating. So the Hollywood Turret press
had a turret for just the primer seating posts.
My spartan came wit all four I still have them.