PDA

View Full Version : Another Polishing media ???

kmw1954
12-05-2019, 02:15 PM
Looking for thoughts on this.

I am an ardent eater of Pistachio nuts, love the things. When I finish I am left with a big pile of shells. Has anyone tried crushing these up and using them in their tumbler? I am going to try this as soon as I get enough brass to run it because right now I am all caught up.

country gent
12-05-2019, 02:32 PM
It should work to some degree. Crushing may not give the required frit size consistency. Here a coffee grinder might work to make the desired size and or grit. I would try polishing some things other than cases to start with them to see how they are as to abrasiveness and finish. Or some old scrap cases. Make sure they are dry also. Will be interesting to hear how they do and how well they absorb hold impregnate with the polish compounds if you use them

redhawk0
12-05-2019, 02:34 PM
Can't see why it wouldn't work. We use Walnut shells now...Pistachio seem harder too. Could probably use Hazelnut, and pecan shells as well.

redhawk

45workhorse
12-05-2019, 02:48 PM
Pecan scented brass:kidding:

fiberoptik
12-05-2019, 04:02 PM
Peanut [emoji1645] butter brass???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slugster
12-05-2019, 08:53 PM
You guys are making me hungry.

I have used walnut and corn cob media. Had a buddy that tried shattered safety glass from a chrome and glass coffee table, that didn't work out well.

Pistachio shells of the proper grind should work fine, and a little added polish would assist in a fine finish.

Dusty Bannister
12-06-2019, 12:16 AM
Keep in mind you might have oil from the shells, or perhaps salt if you have salted pistachios. I did try pecan shells, grit size was a problem. Used a coffee mill, had way too much dust to deal with. Sometimes you just have to try it and see. Thinking that making 5 pounds of media at about an 1/8th cup at a time is not worth the time and wear on a coffee mill.

kmw1954
12-06-2019, 01:34 AM
I really appreciate all the comments. How this topic ended up here in the Molds sub-forum is beyond me. I thought I put it in the reloading forum. If a mod would like to move this to a more appropriate sub-form by all means please do.

Like I said for me these shells are a free byproduct, I eat a lot of these things and right now I probably have over 3 lbs. of shells in a bag. Really haven't thought about a grit size or the thought about salts. Also my thinking was to add the crushed shells in with my corn cob media. Haven't thought about using a coffee mill either to break them up but a friend owns a business that grinds seeds and plant material and can actually grind it into powders. I might talk with him too.

edp2k
12-06-2019, 01:42 AM
You don't want to salt your brass.

Dusty Bannister
12-06-2019, 01:58 AM
Coarse saw dust is free too, but some folks just have to pee on the fence to see if it is "hot". Pretty sure he is aware of the problem with salt and pretty sure he is aware of the dust issue. Time to stand back and see what really happens. Worst case, he trashes some brass. Next worse, is gummy dusty brass. Pay your money and make your choice. Good luck, but let us know how it turns out.

kmw1954
12-06-2019, 02:03 AM
Hey, it's all in good fun right! I am just one of those types tat hates to waste anything. Also being retired I have more time than I know what to do with and yes I am always curious.

jdfoxinc
12-06-2019, 10:37 AM
Be aware of the high salt content in the hulls.

country gent
12-06-2019, 03:03 PM
Also be aware your friend grinders may have to have more than your 3 lbs of shells to get any out. Our old feed grinder would do it but the first shovel of corn was filler in the machine took a second before any came out the auger. LOL.

Eddie17
12-06-2019, 03:15 PM
I have used these shells to introduce carbon, when I clean my lead smelt!
Works great an leaves a nice smell!

kmw1954
12-06-2019, 03:18 PM

Thanks Eddie17, that may be a better use than using as a polishing material. Do you still grind them up or use whole?

John Boy
12-06-2019, 04:40 PM
Grind them up before you try them

kmw1954
12-06-2019, 04:48 PM
Grind them up before you try them

For which process? Polishing or Fluxing?

gwpercle
12-06-2019, 05:51 PM
I bought a big bag of shelled pistachio's once .... that ruined me...shelled are wonderful !
Think I'll take a break and eat some right now...without the pesky shells .
You get older you start looking for the easy ways .
Gary

kmw1954
12-06-2019, 05:54 PM
I bought a big bag of shelled pistachio's once .... that ruined me...shelled are wonderful !
Gary

Damn things are too expensive already I don't need to pay someone else to shell them for me.

Baja_Traveler
12-06-2019, 06:11 PM
I've been trying to figure out how I can crush macadamia nut shells to use as polishing media. I've got 3 trees and get 15-20 gallons of nuts every year...

Wayne Smith
12-06-2019, 06:15 PM
I have discovered that all of our grandchildren love them. All I have done is put them in the fireplace, they burn really well.

country gent
12-06-2019, 07:09 PM
Wayne, with the natural salts and oils in them what color do they burn???????

lightman
12-11-2019, 11:35 AM

I think they would work better ground up and used as flux than being used for tumbling media. But you can them for both and see what happens. Please post your results for us.