PDA

View Full Version : Winchester '73 sights

foesgth
12-03-2019, 08:30 PM
Well, I wasn't supposed to get any more rifles this year, but, I screwed up. One of the Japanese Winchester 73s followed me home. I have gotten a Lyman tang sight as it was pre-drilled for one of those.
My question is if it is worth it to get a folding rear sight? The buckhorn is in the way of the Lyman sight. I looked on Brownells site and they have them for 3/8" dovetail. How say you Oh wise Castboolits memebers? What have you done?

And before you ask, I really don't have any particular use for this rifle. It was just soooo purty. The devil made me do it!!!!!

Der Gebirgsjager
12-03-2019, 08:36 PM
I left mine "as is".
DG

bosterr
12-03-2019, 08:51 PM
I put tang sights on two old rifles I have and had to remove the barrel sights and installed dovetail blanks. I shoot WAY better with the tang.

444ttd
12-04-2019, 04:22 PM
i like peep sights, so i'll go with tang.

HawkCreek
12-04-2019, 07:18 PM
MVA just shipped my tang sight for my Miroku 73. I have a reproduction "rocky mountain" front sight set aside. I've been thinking about a low fixed rear sight for the dovetail. Just something for a backup.

foesgth
12-05-2019, 04:29 PM
MVA just shipped my tang sight for my Miroku 73. I have a reproduction "rocky mountain" front sight set aside. I've been thinking about a low fixed rear sight for the dovetail. Just something for a backup.

This is what I was thinking. The problem is to get the "backup" sight low enough. I was wondering if any one had tried a folding sight like a Lyman No. 16. (https://www.lymanproducts.com/no-16-folding-leaf-sight) Will that be low enough not to interfere with the tang sight?

HawkCreek
12-06-2019, 02:51 PM
This is what I was thinking. The problem is to get the "backup" sight low enough. I was wondering if any one had tried a folding sight like a Lyman No. 16. (https://www.lymanproducts.com/no-16-folding-leaf-sight) Will that be low enough not to interfere with the tang sight?

I've been thinking about a pistol sight. It would be about as sturdy as you could get and fairly low. I figure for the closer shots it wont matter although a folding sight totally out of the way would be better. My problem with the folders is the they just dont look right to me. Admittedly that should be secondary to a good sight picture but my 73 looks so nice I dont want to muck it up!

Texas by God
12-06-2019, 04:22 PM
You want a clean sight picture- just put a dovetail blank in the rear dovetail IMO. Any rear barrel sight will be in the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

hpdrifter
12-06-2019, 11:00 PM
You want a clean sight picture- just put a dovetail blank in the rear dovetail IMO. Any rear barrel sight will be in the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Well, you could put a folding rear sight on it. That's what I have on my Marlins with Foolproof peeps.

T-Bird
12-07-2019, 09:31 AM
I ordered a tang sight from Brownells when I got Miroku a couple years ago and apparently, it wasn't the right one. I was in a hurry to shoot it, so I shimmed the back tang screw with a washer to get the angle right and used it. I really like it, and can hit well with it. I agree, remove the rear sight and install a tang. You won't regret it. I may call them and ask them about this sight my rifle would look better w/o a washer under the tang sight screw!:smile:

If1Hitu
12-10-2019, 09:40 PM
I have that problem about buying rifles too,I just stay out of my LGS now.:bigsmyl2:

Savvy Jack
12-12-2019, 08:43 PM
Well, I wasn't supposed to get any more rifles this year, but, I screwed up. One of the Japanese Winchester 73s followed me home. I have gotten a Lyman tang sight as it was pre-drilled for one of those.
My question is if it is worth it to get a folding rear sight? The buckhorn is in the way of the Lyman sight. I looked on Brownells site and they have them for 3/8" dovetail. How say you Oh wise Castboolits memebers? What have you done?

And before you ask, I really don't have any particular use for this rifle. It was just soooo purty. The devil made me do it!!!!!

Since I can no longer see anything with open sites, I decided to site in my three rifles as follows....

1. Marlin 1889 - Lyman Tang Sites set for 100 yards
2. Uberti Winchester 73' - Malcon 4x scope set for 200 yuards
3. Marlin 1894CB - 3x9x40 scope set for 300 yards (265 actually)
4. I can manage my SAA for 25 yards!

Loads of fun!!

Ruts
12-13-2019, 12:57 AM
I have 2 rifles with both tang and barrel sights. The barrel sights are for short range and I flip up the tang for longer. One of them the front sight is high enough that for short range the sight elevator is on the high side so I can lower the sight almost out of the way to look through the peep but I don’t bother, I have no problem locating the peep centre with the barrel sight blocking some of it. You can use both even without a folding barrel sight. Actually I had a folding marbles rear barrel sight on one of them but I put the old one back on because I didn’t like the shape of the notch in the marbles.

KCSO
12-13-2019, 10:22 AM
I always went with suspenders and a belt just in case, but now I cant use the open barrel sight so I just put in a filler. I haven't missed the open sight yet.

onelight
12-13-2019, 09:23 PM
I did this on a Rossi 92 added a marbles tang and a folding leaf rear I also put a taller front sight on it.
I like it I can have the two sights zeroed for different loads . Works for me.