PDA

View Full Version : Help? RCBS Mould, Stuck handle pin...

Salmon-boy
11-09-2008, 03:43 PM
I've got an RCBS 9mm mould and can't attach the handles. One pin came out fine, but the other is stuck.

The hex socket on the pin for the handle has been stripped.

Before I get medieval on this side of the mould, does anyone have any ideas?

BTW, where can I get a set of replacement pins quickly? I assume RCBS sells them, but havn't looked. I'm not being lazy, just looking for a "Cast Boolits approved vendor (tm)"..
:drinks:

454PB
11-09-2008, 03:48 PM
An easy-out should remove it. RCBS will probably send you a replacement for free, they are really good about standing behind their products.

GP100man
11-09-2008, 03:52 PM
my favorite is a left handed drill bit , when the pressure releases enuff the screw will come rite out.

GP100man:cbpour:

HeavyMetal
11-09-2008, 04:12 PM
try a drop of super glue on the allen wrench and put it in the screw quick! After it hardens it should be enough to turn it out, if not the left hand drill / easy out is your answer.

You must have the set screw/ seperate pin style? Other than RCBS or some bearings from a u joint I don't know where you'd find them. I believe the current pin is the set screw with the extended pin as a one piece set up. Call RCBS.

Salmon-boy
11-09-2008, 04:37 PM
How much heat could I put into it without causing a problem to the mould?

largom
11-09-2008, 04:43 PM
New pins can be made from the shank of a proper size drill bit.

Larry

Tom W.
11-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Or just send the whole thing back to RCBS. I had one stuck and couldn't get the handles off. They fixed it and replaced the mold.

mold maker
11-09-2008, 05:46 PM
I assume (dangerous) you have tried penetrating oils. A sharp rap on a center punch to the screw head might break the bond enough that the oil will allow super glue or an easy out to remove it.
Is it the only set of handles you have, and need it for another mold?

billyb
11-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Do you have the one piece pins or the set screw and pin, two piece? I have both styles, most hardware stores have set screws and metal dowles get 1/8 x 3/4 and set screws. 1/8 inch music wire can be cut to the proper length also. Ace is the place. Easy out sounds like the thing to remove the striped set screw as others have said. Bill

MT Gianni
11-09-2008, 06:55 PM
RCBS will replace it free with the new style for a phone call. I used an easy out on the one of mine that was stuck when I bought it used. Gianni

Salmon-boy
11-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Guys, Thanks for all the info. The mould is a recent gun show purchase. I've no problem paying for another pin, just don't want to destroy the mould.

One pin came right out and is on the handles. The other is waiting to get loosened. It's currently waiting for the Wd40 to sink in.

To be honest to all, I was looking for options before I tear into this one in earnest.. I Like the easy-out and/or superglue ideas. I have rapped the pin to try to break it free.

On other stuck bolts, I've had excellent luck with heat and penetrating oil. I don't want to try to get the pin cherry red, to find out I've warped the block.. Looks like before I get that far I'll send it back to RCBS. Hopefully before that, bringing it up to casting temp will do the trick.

fatnhappy
11-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Use a torx bit that will just fit into the hex head. Torx bits are tapered and so long as you maintain firm downward pressure it'll work like an easy out. don't be bashful about rapping on the bit with a hammer as you turn it.
trust me, it works.

Salmon-boy
11-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Hmm, Torx bit... Good idea!

Just got off the phone with RCBS... "Oh, I'm sorry about that.... We'll ship one right out to you no charge!"

With customer service like that, I definitly will not have any problem ordering anything from them again if it fits the bill.

I am pleasantly stunned.. :-)

44man
11-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Another good reason to never over tighten those screws! The other is that you can warp a mold by tightening them too much.
A big problem when you buy a mold from someone else.
I bought a nice NEI mold at a shoot and I could see daylight between the blocks from over tightened handle screws. I had to do some thinking to bend the offending block back to shape, works like a charm now.
Too tight and the pin expands when hot, forcing the top and bottom in.

dominicfortune00
11-11-2008, 10:08 PM
+1 on the Torx bit.

I've gotten a lot of stripped out allen screws out by pounding a Torx bit into the socket head of the bolt, then turning it out with a socket wrench

MtGun44
11-13-2008, 01:22 AM
I have had more consistent luck with left handed drill bits than
any other approach to removing broken bolts.

I have used a Torx once and it worked fine in a boogered Allen screw.

Bill

jimkim
11-13-2008, 01:41 AM
Try heating it up then while it is hot use the torx bit. If the torx bit doesn't work try the left-hand drill bit. If that doesn't work tap the hole in the screw with a left-hand tap. And use a left-hand screw to remove it. If you are going to use a lubricant use PB Blast. WD-40 isn't a penetrating oil. It is designed to displace moisture. Water Displacement formula 40.

Salmon-boy
11-16-2008, 10:13 AM
As a follow up, Got the RCBS pin shipment yesterday, they sent BOTH handle pins as well as the sprue plate bolt and washer. I'm a convert.

Sat down this morning with the offending block and a torx bit.. Slipped right in and twisted the old pin right out as easy as could be. Didn't even have to light the propane torch once!

HeavyMetal
11-16-2008, 11:28 AM
I love it when a plan comes together!

Scrounger
11-16-2008, 01:07 PM
I love it when a plan comes together!

I wonder who first said that. My first recollection of it was George Peppard on "The A Team".

hiram
11-16-2008, 02:31 PM
I use a left handed (twist) drill bit like GP100man. The drill bit hooked into the screw, slow speed, and it unscrewed.