PDA

View Full Version : Selling guns and other stuff locally

historicfirearms
12-02-2019, 09:05 PM
I just want to rant a little. First off, a little background. Since I was a kid, I have been what I would call a "wheeler dealer". I don't really buy things to just turn a profit, rather I buy things that I like, but they have to be at a good price. When I see something new, I often have to sell other merchandise to buy the new thing. My wife thinks this is totally foreign as she didn't grow up this way but I sure did.
Anyway on to my rant. It seems that people are more and more dishonest or downright lie in their dealings. The last few vehicles I sold on craigslist were a total disaster. Several people wasting my time by saying they are coming over at a certain time and never show up or even call. Others wanting to trade a broken air compressor or other junk. Most ask for tons of pictures and never heard from again.

Local gun deals are just as bad. People say they will buy a gun and want to meet in a few days. Never heard from him again. Others wanting to trade a rusted out muzzle loader for a nice S&W.

Im just tired of mainly the younger generation wasting my time. Older people do it to but not nearly as much as the youth. The internet has made "wheeling and dealing " a lot less fun. This site is the only place where there seems to be respect left between buyer and seller.

nagantguy
12-02-2019, 09:20 PM
I feel your pain as a fellow wheeler dealer ; had a guy work overtime to include a old Remington 760 pump with bad rust and a bulge in the barrel and some homemade drilling and tapping that went into the receiver this summer- pushed it hard to the point of ruining a whole deal.
I sell locally, tools knives eggs dogs wood the occasional rifle, trade swap whatever and the junk people can offer gets old- as do the hold it for me I’ll take it guys who never show up; but I still love the good haggling and lot sweetening , selling a littler of coon dog pups from a champion father proved to be the worst- a flat bed truck worth of rusted bent used T posts and a trolling motor were to of the more interesting things offered, but what took the cake is a man who told me he’d pay the balance on a pup already sold via a deposit- said no sir that ones been sold to a young boy- he said I’ll pay double you can him it died or ran away- trying to steal a puppy from a boy; well my temper went into the ozone on that one.
You are also correct in that every online deal or face to face with members here has been flawless and I’ve made some good friends and got a poke of good gear!

knifemaker
12-03-2019, 12:11 AM
When you advertise the item for sale, state in larger print, "NO TRADES " and set your price and state the "PRICE IS FIRM". That will weed out a good percentage of the tire kickers that will waste your time.

lightman
12-03-2019, 09:57 AM
I've had similar experiences using Craigslist. It just seems to attract those kind of folks. I also get a lot of scam calls immediately after posting an ad on there.

WRideout
12-03-2019, 10:09 AM
I too have had nothing but good results buying, selling and trading on this forum. When I have occasionally had a problem, the seller always made it right.
Wayne

tunnug
12-03-2019, 10:20 AM
On local sales if someone says "I'll take it in a few days", I let them know that I won't hold it for them, If someone else shows with the money, it's gone.
Saying Firm on the price won't stop low-ball offers either online or in person, I had a handgun for sale at a local gunshow at a fair price (checked what they were selling for) someone walks up and asked to see it, told him the price and said I was firm, he low-balled me, when I asked him if he knew the meaning of firm he just looked at me with a deer in the headlights look.

Land Owner
12-03-2019, 11:18 AM
Flea Market mentality I call it. They want to buy something for nothing - ten cents on the dollar folk. Some folks though will let stuff go for practically nothing. Too much of that out there NOT to at least TRY to negotiate - unless it is marked "Firm", which should stand for - negotiation is useless.

Sell stuff, best you can, within the community of purchasers that know its value and appreciate the opportunity. This is especially true in all things shooting, hunting, camping, etc.

waksupi
12-03-2019, 12:25 PM
When I list something and get a call, I'll tell them that several other people are also interested, and it's first come, first served, money talks, BS walks, and that I won't hold an item for anyone. I also tell hagglers there are enough people interested I'm sticking by my price. That seems to help get them off the pot.

drac0nic
12-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Just like anything else in the world gotta stand your ground and say no when applicable. Most of the people I've dealt with on Letgo, Craigslist or Armslist have been fine. If anything I have a hard time getting ahold of some of them but it gets me good deals because most aren't persistent enough to close it.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-03-2019, 12:29 PM
I have sold cars and other things on Craigslist as well as Facebook groups.

My own rules for Craigslist and other online selling pages (not including Castboolits or Gunshows).

If I list something, I only allow the seller a couple strikes...and then they are OUT of consideration.

1. If they offer a price before coming to see the item in person,
STRIKE ONE !

2. If they ask about trade fodder in a PUSHY way (or a desperate way), which basically means they don't have the money to buy it,
STRIKE TWO !

3. When they are "in person" looking at the item and ask for my bottom dollar, without making a hard offer first,
STRIKE THREE !

The Exception:
Now I do enjoy "wheeling and dealing", and if a person is entertaining me, even if they are making STRIKES, I will keep them in the game...But once I'm insulted, they are OUT !

georgerkahn
12-03-2019, 12:40 PM
I "hear" you rant, and agree wholeheartedly. I also wholeheartedly 101% agree with your comment, "The internet has made 'wheeling and dealing' a lot less fun. This site is the only place where there seems to be respect left between buyer and seller."
I think of most as compared to the most beautifully maintained lawn which -- despite stellar care -- will have the occasional weed or two. The Moderators -- all volunteers working out of love of the site -- keep the grass here beautiful!
To buying/selling, a really huge trend in my locale is folks not buying items for themselves, or better put for their own use/enjoyment -- but, instead, for their resale in flea markets, 2nd-hand stores, and similar they maintain. Sadly, I have had items I just got tired of looking at, and passed them on to such sellers, even knowing this.
geo

Shawlerbrook
12-03-2019, 01:52 PM
Yes, people in general have slid away from .....a man’s as good as his word.

RogerDat
12-03-2019, 02:23 PM
I have some items that I considered selling on Craig's list but decided I just didn't want to make appointments for a bunch of strangers to come to my garage. Decided a garage sale I was prepared for made more sense. Have taken some items to flea market to see if a vendor might be interested. I expect a low ball offer but don't expect I will have to take it. Do expect will have to leave some room for the vendor to make a profit. Those that think that profit should be 75% (paying me 25% of value) are mistaken.

I have found the bit of casting sales I do through here to be entirely satisfactory. Debating if I want to shut down S&S offer to sell lead free alloy and try selling on eBay where there is possibly a larger market but not at all because I don't find this forum a good place to do business when I decide I want to.

If I think the price an item is offered at is too high I will offer near the max price I will pay. Someone can say they are "firm" in the price, I figure they should have the opportunity to decline what I am willing to pay them right now. They want $125 and I am willing to give them at most $100 then it is up to them if they want my $100 or want to wait for their firm price. Not an insult, and I certainly won't be angry or upset if they decline. Just a "thanks for your time, sorry we couldn't work something out" moment. If they are offended by my offer I'm going to figure they need to get over it. I won't run down the item to justify the price, other than if something is broken and I think the repair is a factor in how I am valuing the item. If however the item is worth more by any significant amount than the "firm" asking price I see no reason to make a lower offer, just pay the man what he is asking. Maybe some extra checking to make sure it isn't priced to compensate for some unobvious wear or damage.

One reason I didn't breed our dog was I didn't want to deal with finding good homes, or deal with finding out I sold to someone that I shouldn't have. Standard Schnauzers are strong willed, energetic dogs, that really need human contact. After 700 years of breeding as a farm dog you have to figure you want to conform yourself to that breeding, not expect them to suddenly become a different animal because it is what you want. Hunting dogs are much the same, they "know" they have a purpose if you won't engage in activities or at least a life style that integrates with that breeding and purpose it is asking for problems. You want a bunny dog you better figure they need to run even if you never hunt bunnies with them they still need that level of activity.

As to the man who asked to rip off the puppy already sold to a kid, low doesn't begin to cover it.

My pet peeve is folks that are selling junk, I guess if they were offering it in trade for my stuff I would feel the same way but man when I arrange to purchase a specific rifle, the price offered is reasonable for the item in good condition then I drive all the way to a gun show, pay admission, and the guy wants price of "good or better" for a ML with the stock recoil cracked and repaired and a bore that isn't all that good... I leave with my money and a set of frosty McNuggets. Bought elsewhere. Wasn't shy about letting them know that either.

Todd N.
12-03-2019, 02:25 PM
There is a gradual deterioration of good manners in our society. Let's get honest guys- we've seen it here. The benefit of this place is that people who actively participate in this forum do so in good faith. We (almost) all want this to be a safe, sane gathering place to converse and interact with others.
Conversely, in the real world I can't trust you. I have learned over time that too many people- not you, of course- are trying to scam me. historicfirearms, you said,"It seems that people are more and more dishonest or downright lie in their dealings." Too often, this is the belief that both sides of a private sale have at the beginning of negotiations. I too am going through this as I am in the process of "trying" to buy a 1st vehicle for a grandchild. I've looked at 13 cars in 3 weeks- from Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and AutoTrader- and NOT 1 PERSON HAS BEEN TRUTHFUL IN THEIR DESCRIPTION OF THE CAR!!! I'm not talking about little things like a rock chip in the windshield, I'm talking about, for instance,
A. "No, you can't test drive the car- the clutch is completely gone." Maybe that should have been in the ad?
B. Why didn't you tell me the passenger side of the car is destroyed from a traffic accident? "I didn't think it was a big deal."
C. (My personal favorite loser) WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THAT THE ENGINE WAS BLOWN UP AND YOU HAVE STARTED PARTING OUT THE CAR? YOU'RE ASKING HIGH BLUE BOOK FOR A DISMANTLED VEHICLE!!! "It's worth high Blue Book because the parts that are still there are in pretty good shape."

Pretty hard not to go into a private deal with skepticism and mistrust.

snowwolfe
12-03-2019, 02:28 PM
It’s all in how you handle it. I don’t promise anything to anybody. First with the cash gets it. I’ll send a few pictures but that’s it. And I don’t negotiate and I put that in the ad.
If you don’t like my firm price then don’t make me an offer and waste both of our time.
Good manners go each way. I can’t tell you the number of times people get mad at me because I won’t lower my price.
Stupid is as stupid does.

fatelk
12-03-2019, 03:06 PM
It’s interesting how terms have different meaning in different areas. Around where I grew up, “wheeler dealer” had a more negative connotation, and I met plenty who fit the description. I’ve seen hard-nosed wheeler dealers take advantage of people before, and I hate it.

Haggling price seems to really be a cultural thing. I didn’t grow up that way, and really don’t care for it. I also realize that when value is subjective, it’s the only way, and most of the world haggles daily and enjoys it.

fatelk
12-03-2019, 03:22 PM
I don’t buy and sell very much at all, but I bought something recently that gave me a surprise. I drove a couple hours to meet a guy who had something I wanted to buy.

We planned the trip so we could eat at a favorite restaurant, and visit some friends in the area that we hadn’t seen in a long time. I met the guy, looked at the gear (which was easily worth more than he was asking), told him I liked it and wouldn’t even haggle on price.

He chuckled and said, “Well, then let me make you a deal”, and knocked $50 off the price! I was standing there with cash in my hand and a dumbfounded look on my face. I’d never seen that kind of haggling before! I think he wanted to haggle so much that he haggled down his own price, or maybe he was prepared to be low-balled and gave me a good deal because I didn’t.

Petander
12-03-2019, 03:46 PM
I don't enjoy buying or selling. But I don't get emotionally attached to "stuff" so I buy and sell to change and try different cars,bikes,guns,guitars etc...

I'm trying to ignore those types and incidents. Yeah I got burned buying a van from a white collar "wheeler dealer" last summer...but he burned his name. This is a small country where I live. I know people. I gave him a choice of a refund or spread word.

Gun trades I do 99% with a longtime local dealer and/or a handful of friends. I try to avoid idiots and bad people.

I also use my real name in the Internet.

drac0nic
12-03-2019, 03:54 PM
I will say the flip side of it is that you have some seller you can't ever reach and thinks their stuff is made of gold. I'm not paying you $500 for some rust but I'll be fair as a buyer. I've even bought guns off a friend for way below market and told them that they were. They took the money anyways but I was straight with em on it.

Good deals are a matter of patience and need. You'll find people at times who just want to cut weight and that's when you'll get a good deal. Like how I have an Atlas Lathe sitting in the back of my Volvo I could flip for 2X what I bought it for easily.

Murphy
12-03-2019, 04:57 PM
Just had package arrive this morning from an item I bought in the S&S. Exactly as I expected it to be and more. Which, seems to be the standard of the membership. I'll soon be a member here for 14 years. I've only had one experience that's kind of stuck in my craw. It wasn't the amount of money ($25 shipped) but more or less a matter of what I feel was a less than accurate description of the item I bought. Oh there was a couple of blurry cellphone photos the seller sent. But Brothers if it was intentional, he sure knew how to make sure and not get any of the bad stuff in the photos. His description was "It's in great shape!". I'm surprised it functions at all. I figured oh well, spare parts if nothing else in an emergency.

As for locally, we have a few call in radio shows in the morning and I occasionally would listen in. Ran into a few pretty fair deals on a gun or two. And, spoke to a few scoundrels as well. One I remember speaking with was a fine fella. He'd offered up a nice rifle and I was interested. I called a little later in the day and he'd changed his mind. We had a fine talk and I'm sure he'd fit in fine with this crew. He told me he no more than got the off the phone offering the rifle for sale and got a call and the guy said he'd be right there within 5 minutes and was. Three younger guys pulled up in a pickup and got out and he brought the rifle out for them to inspect. He told me the first one to handle it looked it over real serious like and then handed it to his cohort. Suddenly his cohort started picking the gun apart and offered him half of what he was asking. The old feller said he just took it back and said, well I'll be darned, I noticed that but didn't think it hurt the gun's value that bad. Ya' know feller's, I feel kind'a bad about even offering this thing for sale to anyone in the shape it's in now that you've pointed it out to me. I'm just gonna hold onto it. About that time the crew realized the 'game' wasn't working and started upping their offer. He stood fast and told them no, no, no. No way now he'd sell it. They tried again. He told them just a minute, I do have another gun you may be interested in. He took the rifle back in and stepped back out with a 12 Ga. pump. Then the short and to the point lecture began. He told them boys, Lookie here I know good and well what that gun is worth and so do you. Yet, you pull up here and try to play me for an old fool? Double teamed me at that! Now, I said the price over the radio when I said it was for sale. Did I say I'd haggle or come down on it? Nawww I didn't. Now here's the other deal. GIT! And you better make it quick. Insult me like that on my own property! I said GIT! He said it was all he could do not to laugh at em' trying to get back in the truck and down the road.

Murphy

Springfield
12-03-2019, 05:18 PM
Craigslist has been a great teacher for my son. He collects vintage video game consoles and games and accessories. A guy had an ad for some games, had individual prices on them, so my son e-mailed the guy and told him which 4 games he wanted. The seller e-mailed back and said he wanted to sell them all a a lot. OK, no big deal, just a confusing ad. A week later they guy contacts my son and said he decided to split them up, but he had sold the games asked for, and did he want some of the others listed! My son has also listed some stuff on Craigslist, and guys say they want something but never actually show up . So my son has learned that yes, people are inconsiderate and lie.

fatelk
12-03-2019, 07:30 PM
He told me he no more than got the off the phone offering the rifle for sale and got a call and the guy said he'd be right there within 5 minutes and was. Three younger guys pulled up in a pickup and got out and he brought the rifle out for them to inspect. He told me the first one to handle it looked it over real serious like and then handed it to his cohort. Suddenly his cohort started picking the gun apart and offered him half of what he was asking. The old feller said he just took it back and said, well I'll be darned, I noticed that but didn't think it hurt the gun's value that bad. Ya' know feller's, I feel kind'a bad about even offering this thing for sale to anyone in the shape it's in now that you've pointed it out to me. I'm just gonna hold onto it. About that time the crew realized the 'game' wasn't working and started upping their offer. He stood fast and told them no, no, no. No way now he'd sell it. They tried again. He told them just a minute, I do have another gun you may be interested in. He took the rifle back in and stepped back out with a 12 Ga. pump. Then the short and to the point lecture began. He told them boys, Lookie here I know good and well what that gun is worth and so do you. Yet, you pull up here and try to play me for an old fool? Double teamed me at that! Now, I said the price over the radio when I said it was for sale. Did I say I'd haggle or come down on it? Nawww I didn't. Now here's the other deal. GIT! And you better make it quick. Insult me like that on my own property! I said GIT! He said it was all he could do not to laugh at em' trying to get back in the truck and down the road.

That’s pretty good; I like it! That “beat you up and steal it” tactic (figuratively) is what I hate. I’ve had the tag team thing pulled on me too. I have no use for those kind of people.

Years ago I sold an old pickup canopy (topper, for some of you guys). It was a beat up junker, but still usable. I put it on Craigslist for $10, as I recall. I thought about just offering it free for the taking, but figured $10 was almost free, might as well get lunch money out of it.

A guy came out to look at it, with his young son of maybe 6 or 7. The guy walked around it, doing the whole rub your chin, tap it with your toe, disinterested act that we all know. The hilarious thing was that his kid was following right behind him, rubbing his chin and acting disinterested just like dad. He finally says “Well, ah don’t know. Would ya take five bucks?”

I turned him down, and he paid my price without hesitation, but I’ve always kicked myself for not just taking the five bucks. It would have been worth it just watching his kid learn how to drive a bargain like Pa. :)

Ed K
12-03-2019, 09:01 PM
If you state the word "Firm", I understand what that means. If you do not and I show up with cash in hand and make a respectable offer and get thrown out then you are wasting your own time as well as all the buyers. I think the standard second-hand exchange in this country allows for a little wheeling and dealing by default. Now "respectable" is hard to define as it depends on the type of merchandise as well as condition. However I would not even come to view your item if I felt I needed to haggle down to 50% off or less as the seller does not understand the value of the goods.

And no I would not try to talk anyone of of a kid's puppy. :roll:

Handloader109
12-03-2019, 11:16 PM
I've not sold anything on Craigslist in 4 yrs. I sold off several Woodworking tool before we last moved, and I had several no shows, real lowballers, (yes, firm in listing) and even gave away a few items to a couple of good buyers. Swapped an AK for a Dillon 650xl with a guy 250 miles away. (traveled through the area a lot then) I do hate no shows, just say I might make it, not I'll be there in an hour.
I don't haggle, my dad loved to though. If I want it, I'll pay your asking price, no questions. And I'd rather you set a price if you are selling something. You know best what you have to have, why make me guess, dance and for that matter, insult you with a lowball.
But it takes all kinds.

Winger Ed.
12-03-2019, 11:31 PM
[QUOTE=Handloader109;But it takes all kinds.[/QUOTE]

I have doubted that for a long time.

Some of these 'kinds' are totally unnecessary, and we're just stuck with them.

fatelk
12-04-2019, 12:56 AM
I don't haggle, my dad loved to though. If I want it, I'll pay your asking price, no questions. And I'd rather you set a price if you are selling something. You know best what you have to have, why make me guess, dance and for that matter, insult you with a lowball.

I agree with you there. I hate it when people don't put a price on their wares. I know it's so they can size up the potential customer first to see how gullible they look before naming a price. If I'm at a gun show and see a table full of stuff without prices, I walk on by. I won't waste my time playing games.

tunnug
12-04-2019, 01:21 AM
Yup, can't stand the " what'll you give me fer it" types, my answer is always I'll give you a dollar! no matter what I think it's worth, I've had people snort and tell me I'm crazy, I always say, you're the seller, tell me what you want because if you ask what I'll give then I'll give you a dollar, that will usually get me a price.

wnc435
12-04-2019, 01:25 AM
As to the last post I on the other hand try to waste as much of their time as I can. If you are out to just milk the neighbors cow every evening and let the gate open every evening so cow comes back. them complain about having to feed their cow. True story took about a week to see why she milked like a champ in the Am but was late and no milk in the PM.

Land Owner
12-04-2019, 06:49 AM
There are more than a few sales venues (automobiles/trucks and real estate to name two) that set the tone for haggling and negotiation in a global way, which trickles down to nearly all other sales venues. Everyone negotiates on the "big ticket" items and haggling the price down is EXPECTED.

At the other end of that trickle down is the Garage Sale and Flea Market. Many times folks just want to be rid of life's clutter and their prices reflect their disinterest.

With these examples, the sales of everything reloading, casting, shooting, etc., fall in between. If it is "for sale", and not in a Retail Store, then (thanks to trickle down) it must be negotiable. Even stuff in a Retail Store is often "negotiable". Ever ask the Store's representative if the item is "going on sale" soon?

As a Society, we're constantly bombarded with "SALE", "BLACK FRIDAY", "SAVE", "50% OFF (or half price - whichever is less)", and that mentality permeates EVERYTHING.

So, it should not be too mind bending to disregard the folks that just "don't get" what FIRM means, except when it can be presumed that the purchaser is a low down, dirty, road-kill eating, scoundrel, the likes of whom should be tarred, feathered, and run out of town on a rail (which sounds pretty bad!).

Wayne Smith
12-04-2019, 08:40 AM
Sales, yeah. We have a furniture store in the area, "Going out of business for 134 years!"

snowwolfe
12-04-2019, 09:59 AM
As to the last post I on the other hand try to waste as much of their time as I can. If you are out to just milk the neighbors cow every evening and let the gate open every evening so cow comes back. them complain about having to feed their cow. True story took about a week to see why she milked like a champ in the Am but was late and no milk in the PM.

Your not making any sense.

truckjohn
12-04-2019, 10:27 AM
The issue I have with CL is that there is no skin in the game *anywhere* in the system to stop "Time wasters", scammers, and people who can't be bothered to pay attention...

CraigsList doesn't make any money off it.... So they have no incentive to make sure sales happen, old ads get deleted, and folks don't get scammed...

Sellers don't PAY anything for their ads - so there is no incentive to NOT massively waste folks time with stupid....

And there is no mandatory registration process to vet people and weed out scammers....

I HATE Craigslist now...
For example - last time I tried to sell a boat - it was ALL scammers... I literally had ZERO serious people - or if I did, I couldn't tell because I was swamped by oil sheikhs from Saudi Arabia wanting to bank transfer me for my used boat and junk email address harvesters asking idiot questions like "I have qrstiuon about item you listing?" ...

Then - last time I tried to buy something on CL, it was ALL time waster sellers who were lying about condition or couldn't be bothered to meet up so I could give them money....

Compare this with Local Sale Papers.... They MAKE MONEY off their sale papers - so they work to make sure scammers aren't clogging up the works... They also drop adds pretty quickly when somebody "Posts and forgets".... And they won't post an ad without valid contact info..

The next part is.... There's a REASON car lots, gun shops, and the like exist... People get ground up thinking about the "Hair cut" on price - but they DO offer an important service.... They deal with the constant stream of tire kickers and looky-loos... They take their cut for having a store front to deal with the transactions...

blackthorn
12-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Many years ago I had a Chevy Suburban, 4x4, stick shift with an extra set of almost new snow tires on rims for sale. I listed it at $1800.00 firm. I got lots of calls but all of them wanted me to lower the price. I let the add run out, waited two weeks and re-advertised it for $2700.00 OBO, the first caller offered me $2200.00 (after he looked at it) and I accepted his offer. I did not have the heart to point out that 2 weeks earlier he could have had it for $1800.00.

snowwolfe
12-04-2019, 01:23 PM
The issue I have with CL is that there is no skin in the game *anywhere* in the system to stop "Time wasters", scammers, and people who can't be bothered to pay attention...

CraigsList doesn't make any money off it.... So they have no incentive to make sure sales happen, old ads get deleted, and folks don't get scammed...

Sellers don't PAY anything for their ads - so there is no incentive to NOT massively waste folks time with stupid....

And there is no mandatory registration process to vet people and weed out scammers....

I HATE Craigslist now...
For example - last time I tried to sell a boat - it was ALL scammers... I literally had ZERO serious people - or if I did, I couldn't tell because I was swamped by oil sheikhs from Saudi Arabia wanting to bank transfer me for my used boat and junk email address harvesters asking idiot questions like "I have qrstiuon about item you listing?" ...

Then - last time I tried to buy something on CL, it was ALL time waster sellers who were lying about condition or couldn't be bothered to meet up so I could give them money....

Compare this with Local Sale Papers.... They MAKE MONEY off their sale papers - so they work to make sure scammers aren't clogging up the works... They also drop adds pretty quickly when somebody "Posts and forgets".... And they won't post an ad without valid contact info..

The next part is.... There's a REASON car lots, gun shops, and the like exist... People get ground up thinking about the "Hair cut" on price - but they DO offer an important service.... They deal with the constant stream of tire kickers and looky-loos... They take their cut for having a store front to deal with the transactions...

Where I live craigslist charges $5 to run a vehicle for sell ad.
They don't where you live?

Todd N.
12-04-2019, 01:42 PM
Where I live craigslist charges $5 to run a vehicle for sell ad.
They don't where you live?

Craigslist charges for vehicle ads everywhere. One fee for private parties, a different one for dealers.

This has nothing to do with accountability for CL, this is simply a way for them to make money from high-volume categories. Craigslist as a company appears to have no conscience whatsoever.

Texas by God
12-04-2019, 01:51 PM
Many years ago I had a Chevy Suburban, 4x4, stick shift with an extra set of almost new snow tires on rims for sale. I listed it at $1800.00 firm. I got lots of calls but all of them wanted me to lower the price. I let the add run out, waited two weeks and re-advertised it for $2700.00 OBO, the first caller offered me $2200.00 (after he looked at it) and I accepted his offer. I did not have the heart to point out that 2 weeks earlier he could have had it for $1800.00.That's hilarious I love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

truckjohn
12-04-2019, 02:10 PM
This has nothing to do with accountability for CL, this is simply a way for them to make money from high-volume sellers. Craigslist as a company appears to have no conscience whatsoever.

I think it's the opposite... Too much so called "Conscience" and not enough business sense.... Altrusim is great. It's very good to hope the best and do good for your fellow man... But remember that almost every charity and religious benevolence organization asks for financial information of people... And they almost always cap the amount someone can get in a certain period.... Why? Because the scammers are WAY more effective than actual people in need at fleecing folks for money.....

Most of Craigs List's problems are obvious and predictable results of NOT doing any sort of buyer and seller registration, vetting, or rating...

kerplode
12-04-2019, 02:19 PM
Craigslist is full of liars, scammers, and thieves. I would rather throw something away than screw around with selling it that way.

Also, hagglers are annoying...Go waste somebody else's time with that noise.

fatelk
12-04-2019, 03:01 PM
Reminds me of a anecdotal story I read a long time ago, in the Readers Digest. The writer was telling about a garage sale she had. An early bird came along at opening, an older gal, professional garage-saler, and started rummaging through all the goodies.

She holds up an item and asks “Will you take 50 cents for this?”

The seller replies “Actually, everything on that table is only 25 cents each.”

The shopper stopped and stared at the item for a few moments, deep in thought, then asked “Oh. Well, will you take 10 cents for it?”

Some people are just not happy unless they feel like they got a bargain!

RogerDat
12-04-2019, 04:04 PM
the whole thing with a "firm" price is people have traveled to examine the goods, taken time to be there to show the goods, if the "firm" price is not what I am willing to pay then why wouldn't I make an offer before I leave? No harm no foul. A ridiculous low ball offer isn't what I am talking about. But even then one can just say nope, price is firm.

If you want $1,800 firm for a vehicle and on looking it over I think there are a couple hundred worth of work to make it into an $1,800 vehicle I don't see it as disrespectful to tell you I'm willing to pay you $1,600 for it. You can decide if having my $1,600 now beats having the car and waiting for a buyer willing to meet your asking price. Or not. Good grief! Why would anyone take offense?

Heck I might decide with front end work and half the exhaust system replaced it is worth $1,800 so most I would pay is.... $1,200 It seems to me the greater courtesy to tell you what you might sell it for if you wish to accept that price.

Don't like the offer, then just say so and state your price is firm, or counter offer. Up to me then if I want to meet it or move on. No one owes each other anything except basic courtesy which I don't see as being violated by telling someone what I would be willing to pay. Tough it out! Play through the pain!

:kidding:

After all a counter offer is not a counter attack. Rudeness, not keeping appointments without contacting the person, or badmouthing the item in a rude manner to drive the price down are all good reasons to walk away. Offering a lower price is called negotiating. One can say no with grace and courtesy. Heck one can even say "Out your mind? No!" with grace and courtesy.

David2011
12-04-2019, 05:02 PM
I recently sold a lathe and a milling machine, both advertised on CL and Facebook Marketplace. All of the CL responses were scams. The prices were more than fair and they sold from FB at the posted prices. Wish I could replace them for what I got for the ones I had. Too expensive to move them, though. Sold my nice old radial arm saw and got tons of extremely lowball offers. Tried to buy an item on FB and the seller ignored my messages (confirmed that he saw them) but it was still for sale two weeks later. Manners are nonexistent with many sellers, never responding.

RogerDat
12-05-2019, 02:39 PM
I recently sold a lathe and a milling machine, both advertised on CL and Facebook Marketplace. All of the CL responses were scams. The prices were more than fair and they sold from FB at the posted prices. Wish I could replace them for what I got for the ones I had. Too expensive to move them, though. Sold my nice old radial arm saw and got tons of extremely lowball offers. Tried to buy an item on FB and the seller ignored my messages (confirmed that he saw them) but it was still for sale two weeks later. Manners are nonexistent with many sellers, never responding.

Radial arm saws have become very uncommon. Lot of cheap table saws but lower price radial arm saws are not often seen. Some of their duties have been taken over by the power miter saw. When a radial arm saw "kicks back" on a piece of wood the blade comes toward the operator. Had a bad habit of cutting off thumb or fingers when operator was holding wood in line with the saw blade.

They have become something of a specialty tool. You want one then you probably want one bad enough to buy the high end models.

Sold mine for a modest price, did inquire of the buyer if they understood the dangers and they said their father and grandfather both had them so a lot of experience using them when they were growing up. Knew how they could come back at the operator.

Can be something of a challenge to sell things one knows can be dangerous if handled incorrectly. Or if not repaired. Car for parts that isn't safe to drive for example.

GOPHER SLAYER
12-05-2019, 02:54 PM
We had a large yard sale in 2007 when we were really downsizing for a move. I had three radial arm saws, two 10 inch Craftsman, one Delta and three table saws. Not one person even asks the price of any of them. What did sell was horse gear, saddles, bridals & bits, antiques and power tools. There are few people who work with wood anymore. The price of wood has gotten so high it is cheaper to but the chest or table already made than try to make it. I should point out that there are few younger people who even care about learning how to do the work.

Winger Ed.
12-05-2019, 03:16 PM
My Dad had a buddy that tried to sell 2 cars on Craig's List because its free, and he was too tight to pay for a classified ad. in the newspaper.

One was a Corvette. A guy came up on a giant, spit shined Harley Davidson. He took it for a test drive.
After awhile the guy hadn't come back. After a couple hours, he called the Police.
They came out, and after a minute, the Officer told him the Harley was also stolen.
He never got the 'Vette back.

Another time he sold a 4-5 year old Caddilac. He advertised it as being in 'mint condition'.
A couple guys came up in some crawling hunk of junk that looked like it had escaped from the crusher.

After pointing out several minor cosmetic flaws, Pop's buddy told them it as little things for a 4 year old car, and the price was good.
Bubba told him, "Well, the ad. does say 'mint condition', and look at all this...."

The story ends with Pop's buddy standing out in the yard with a .45, and the two rednecks going around the block a few times
chugging smoke from their worn out, smashed up clunker......

Handloader109
12-05-2019, 03:22 PM
Radial arm saws have become very uncommon. Lot of cheap table saws but lower price radial arm saws are not often seen. Some of their duties have been taken over by the power miter saw. When a radial arm saw "kicks back" on a piece of wood the blade comes toward the operator. Had a bad habit of cutting off thumb or fingers when operator was holding wood in line with the saw blade.

They have become something of a specialty tool. You want one then you probably want one bad enough to buy the high end models.

Sold mine for a modest price, did inquire of the buyer if they understood the dangers and they said their father and grandfather both had them so a lot of experience using them when they were growing up. Knew how they could come back at the operator.

Can be something of a challenge to sell things one knows can be dangerous if handled incorrectly. Or if not repaired. Car for parts that isn't safe to drive for example.way more kicking back of the wood with the cheap chopsaws. I've two RAS and they perform great. I've had three chopsaws and I'll not buy another

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

megasupermagnum
12-05-2019, 11:24 PM
I'm surprised at how many people have had problems selling things. My experiences have been the opposite. Sure I've had a few idiots and no shows here and there, but for the most part selling has been no biggie. I've sold boats, reloading stuff, cars, and more on craigslist. It's usually easy. I had one car where one person would call, say they're on the way, except never show up. This went on for 3 or 4 people. The odd thing was one person did show up, drove it, and didn't want it. I asked what they didn't like, but never said. The next guy to show up, drove it, and bought it. I saw it on the road not too long ago.

Now buying things, that has been the real funny business. I kind of get why so many sellers are dinks, there are some weird people out there. Too many sellers are just flat out terrible people. My absolute #1 pet peeve is a seller who sets up a foot race. You call, they say come on out. Next thing you know it's gone. The one that tops the list wasn't even a high dollar item. I called about a freezer that was very reasonably priced, however, they were about an hour drive away. They said sure I can have it, I'm the first one to call, no surprise as the add was only posted for 15 minutes at that point. I had the cash, got in the truck instantly and got on the road. An hour later I arrive to some people loading up a truck, the sellers were in the process of moving. I introduce myself, and the woman just looks blankly at me like I was unexpected. I say, aren't you the ones selling the freezer? Again blankly, she thinks for a second, "Oh, the big chest freezer? It's gone." I know it's gone, I'm here to pick it up. "No, the neighbor came by and we let him have it." At this point I'm trying to hold back, but ask why didn't you call me? No answer at all, we just stare at each other. She just turns around and heads back up the hill, nothing else said. 2 hours of my life thrown away for someone too lazy to pick up a phone.

I love the swappin and selling section here. 100% positive.

Winger Ed.
12-06-2019, 12:17 AM
I've had a few deals buying and selling on Craig's list. They all went well.
I've sold a big farm tractor, 2 jet ski lifts, a 8' bush hog mower deck, and a gently used wheel barrow. They went quick without any hassle.

I bought the salvage boat on there too.
Before that, I was looking for just a replacement used out drive.
I went to look at one a old guy was selling as he parted out a crashed boat for his son.

I went a hour away, got there, and he said he didn't know anything about them so I needed to really check it over.
I did, and the one part I needed, was cracked on that one too. I showed him, and thanked him as I was leaving.
He told me to just take it at no charge anyway, in case there was something else on it I could use.
I thought that was pretty cool.

I've sold a couple things here too.
The deals couldn't have gone any better if I bought my own stuff myself.

Petander
12-06-2019, 03:56 AM
I've had a recording studio since the 80's,I circulate stuff quite a bit.

I'd rather sell something nice to a young aspiring musician for a cheap price... but the sharks attack, white collar BMW driving folks calling aggressively,dumping the already low price down. Only to sell the item for profit the next day.

Makes selling really tiring,I have given stuff instead of selling because of these middlemen.

fatelk
12-06-2019, 03:19 PM
This reminds me of a story a guy told me once. As I recall, it was back in the ban-scare years, when AKs and such were in really high demand. He had an extra, cheap AK rifle, and a “buddy” who really wanted it. The guy kept bugging him to sell him the gun, give him a good price, a “buddy” deal”.

So he gives in and sells it to him for what he originally paid for it. A week or two later he finds out that the guy turned right around and sold it for double. He asks his former “buddy” WTH? The “buddy’s” response was “What’s the big deal? It’s just business!”

truckjohn
12-06-2019, 04:35 PM
That's always a risk. The thing is - once you sell it, it's gone. So if you can't stomach the thought of the buyer turning around and selling it for beer money next week - then don't sell it to him...

The other side is also - there is value in "Cash right now" vs wait around for months and months to see if you can get a better price.....

So say you sell it low to the 1st guy that comes along.... Well it's gone and you don't have to deal with any more scammers, tire kickers, or looky loo's.... Take your cash and smile.... If the guy can turn around and sell it for double - good for him.... If he ends up sitting on it for over a year because he is trying to sell it for double - good for him...