PDA

View Full Version : Boolit Suggestions for Henry Big Boy 357 Carbine

buckwheatpaul
12-01-2019, 08:57 AM
If you have one or done the research I would like to know your suggestion for a cast boolit for this gun. I cast 358429 (Keith Style) but I suspect that it will not load very well if at all......So please throw your 2 cents worth in for a boolit to fit this carbine (or rifle).......along with your load info if ya wanna share it!

Thanks in advance and soon off to testing and playing! Paul

tazman
12-01-2019, 09:31 AM
You are correct in thinking the 358429 can be problematic.
My best results as far as feeding and accuracy were with the Lee 358-158-RNFP. I suspect nearly any RNFP would work well though.

DHDeal
12-01-2019, 10:01 AM
MP makes a mold with 2 crimp grooves that I believe is called "Carbine". 180 grain solid, and 170ish with the large HP pins.

Just getting into MP molds, but they are nice! The 357 mold I bought was the Hammer. It has dropped very accurate bullets. The only problem I'm having is just finding the correct sizer, so not really a problem at all just gotta spend a few more dollars. I only shoot cast bullets from my revolvers and the FA83's can be picky on sizing.

mr surveyor
12-01-2019, 10:30 AM
.......My best results as far as feeding and accuracy were with the Lee 358-158-RNFP. I suspect nearly any RNFP would work well though.

This!

I don't personally cast, but I have a good friend that did for several years. He kept me well supplied with the LEE 358-158 RNFP. Through the last 9 years of my short re-loading experience, I've tried quite a few commercial cast as well as jacketed .357 bullets and none of them have been as accurate (on paper) as the LEE. A couple of the JHP bullets were close, but still not the same as the (somewhat inferior cast quality) LEE. I wish I could find this bullet from a commercial vendor, but haven't yet.

jd

AnthonyB
12-01-2019, 10:30 AM
I have the rifle version and mine likes the Lee 158 FN or RCBS 38-158 CM. I haven’t done a lot of testing yet, but it shoots minute of turtle at my pond. I plan on more testing in the spring and need to cast with the previously mentioned MP carbine mould along with several others from him.
Tony

onelight
12-02-2019, 12:39 AM
This!

I don't personally cast, but I have a good friend that did for several years. He kept me well supplied with the LEE 358-158 RNFP. Through the last 9 years of my short re-loading experience, I've tried quite a few commercial cast as well as jacketed .357 bullets and none of them have been as accurate (on paper) as the LEE. A couple of the JHP bullets were close, but still not the same as the (somewhat inferior cast quality) LEE. I wish I could find this bullet from a commercial vendor, but haven't yet.

jd

i also shoot a lot of commercial cast , and have found that the quality of most is not near as good as what I cast myself , so for plinkers and short range casual paper punching i use commercial and for more serious shooting I use my cast and what I consider to be better designed boolits .
My point is that the quality of the bullets' your friend cast may make as much difference as the bullet design.

brewer12345
12-02-2019, 01:35 AM
Just about any RNFP should work well. Lyman 358665 is a pretty nice one. I also shoot an arsenal mold "138 max" that drops a 133 grain RNFP that shoots very, very accurately. I imagine the Lee 125 grain RNFP would also shoot pretty well. If we are talking about full powered 357 mag loads, pick boolits with a gas check.

rockshooter
12-02-2019, 06:58 PM
I use a NOE 155gr that is designed for 9mm. It has a flat nose but sort of a taper that feeds nicely when PC'd
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=34_265&osCsid=bmfd5cihah4qgne0cbhn11j411

Loren

Hick
12-02-2019, 09:00 PM
I use the old Ideal 358156GC in my Henry 357-- loads smooth and shoots great. Lee makes a nice 150 grain roundnose that also works very well.