PDA

View Full Version : The Winchester 1894 .32 Special smokeless rear sight.

David LaPell
11-30-2019, 07:13 PM
I found another Model 1894 Winchester today, this time a .32 Special rifle that has the original smokeless rear sight. I was wondering, looking at the sight, how does it adjust? I am looking at it trying to figure out the rhyme and reason of why Winchester ever made it in the first place.

cwtebay
11-30-2019, 07:19 PM
There should be some serrations on the vertical part of the rear of the ramp that the wings of the buckhorn / semi buckhorn will grab when moved up or down.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

cwtebay
11-30-2019, 07:26 PM
Cool that you have one! My understanding is that there were less than 100 in 32 WS made, and I think that they were all pre-1915?
I'd like to see a couple of pictures!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

pietro
11-30-2019, 07:53 PM
I found another Model 1894 Winchester today, this time a .32 Special rifle that has the original smokeless rear sight.

I was wondering, looking at the sight, how does it adjust ?

I am looking at it trying to figure out the rhyme and reason of why Winchester ever made it in the first place.

Winchester designed the sight to cope with the trajectory of the then-new smokeless loads - which trajectory was out of the adjustment range of sights designed for the black powder loads of the day.

Look at the side profile of the sight, at the rear, and you will see serrations on each side - that is the elevation adjustment.

Pull the sight blade to the rear to disengage it from the serrations, move it, then ensure it re-engages the serrations in the new position.

In a perfect world, that's how easy it should be, but over the years many of the parts wear and/or rust internally, causing difficulties.

Windage is drift-adjustable, like a longleaf rear sight.

https://winchestercollector.org/wp-content/sp-resources/forum-image-uploads/1892takedown/2015/01/DSC_0151.JPG