PDA

View Full Version : HP older / used molds

cwlongshot
11-29-2019, 10:50 PM
Im wanting to HP a Ideal 358318 mold. Its a single cavity small mold blocks.

Where should I go, who is best? I also have a dbl cav of this mold too & I like the bullet so I feel its a good candidate. I wont shoot as many hps $& will be sharing them with a buddy.

Any suggestions or opinions?

CW

Skunk1
11-29-2019, 11:44 PM
http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

kycrawler
11-30-2019, 01:52 AM
May be more cost effective to just order a new noe mold setup for hp already ?

fcvan
11-30-2019, 02:20 AM
Years ago, Lee made HP molds and I don't know when they stopped. I bought 2, one a 450-200-1R mold, the other a C358-158 SWC. Fortunately, the 450, which is a tapered conical for percussion revolvers, actually casts at closer to 452. It also works very well with plain base gas checks.

Had I known they were going to discontinue HP molds I would have ordered more in various calibers. If I remember correctly, Buckshot, a member here used to modify 2 cavity Lee molds for a reasonable price. I always figured I would just order the mold to be modified and have it shipped directly. Maybe the OP should look up Buckshot and see if he still plies his trade. Frank

Wayne Smith
11-30-2019, 09:12 AM
Nope, Buckshot retired for the third? time and said this time was final. Send it to Eric at the above website.

fcvan
11-30-2019, 01:08 PM
Thanks Wayne, I didn't know he'd hung up his spurs. Heck, I haven't reloaded or come by here for a few years. I retired and was concentrating on grand babies. My middle daughter landed a 7 pound, 6 ouncer, 21 incher, last night.

I haven't reloaded in 5 years as I had thousands of rounds in each caliber stockpiled out west and in the Rockies as I have houses near each set of kids. I don't have much to reload, maybe 4 coffee cans full of various calibers. Reloading takes a back burner to them youngsters.

cwlongshot
11-30-2019, 02:04 PM
I havent found a exact copy offered that a HP.

Accurate had a 197 thats close made for the 38 S&W. But with larger HP. I like the 1/8”. As its a rifle not needing or really wanting gaping HP.

But your correct cost wise better to buy new than invest 100$ in old. I could even sell only & recoup 30-40$ for new mold maybe!

CW