PDA

View Full Version : Lee 6 cavity sprue plate wear

Brother_Love
11-09-2008, 10:13 AM
The corner of the sprue plate on my 6 cavity Lee mold is wearing at the corner where the mold release handle is attached. It has deformed the corner and makes it hard to push the sprue plate back in position.

I found the fix for the blocks on this forum and installed a screw in the blocks at the leverage point.

Is there a fix for the sprue plate? If so, someone tell me how.

Thank you, Malcolm

billyb
11-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Order a new sprue plate from lee about 13.00$ shipped. Bill

dubber123
11-09-2008, 10:58 AM
One of the first things I do to my new 6 cavity moulds is use a sanding block to put a gentle bevel on tthe edge of the sprue plate to help it slide over the blocks. It really seems to help.

Springfield
11-10-2008, 12:54 AM
File it down, that part of the plate doesn't do anything. Not sure why yours is deforming, none of my 20 moulds do that, and the 44-40 moulds have over 50,000 bullets apiece. I don't do anything to the part of the mould that hits the sprue release lever either. Sounds like you need to cut the sprue sooner and relieve some pressure on the mould parts.

flinchnjerk
11-11-2008, 02:37 AM
Check that the nut/bolt that attaches the lever to the sprue plate hasn't loosened. Had it happen to me... when cutting the sprue, I was putting just enough downward pressure on the handle to pivot the lever upward enough that the top edge of the cam was catching the bottom edge of the sprue plate rather than passing under it. Gouged the bottom edge of the sprue plate in short order.