PDA

View Full Version : Ideal 452423 4 cavity

James Wisner
11-29-2019, 12:38 AM
About 18 months ago I found a Ideal 452423 4 cavity mold in really nice condition, the price was OK so I picked it up.

Have been looking for a Blackhawk Convertiable or a Smith 625 for about 2 years.
About 3 months ago I stopped at the local gunshop and OMG here was a model of 1989 Smith 625-2 with a 5 inch barrel in really nice condition
Needless to say it did not take me long to put it on layaway
Of course once the wife found out, I had to sleep on the couch a few nights but that was OK

So I now have 300 new Starline cases in 45 AR, and a new RCBS shell holder
Also some Wilson full moon clips for the excess 45 auto ammo that I have

I dug out the Ideal mould and degreased it and fired up the furnace this morning.

Just love those old moulds.
Once I got the temp worked out and the candance figured out, WOW
It was pour, count to 15, tap sprue plate, tip mould over to drop sprues on table, swing the mould over the 5 gallon bucket, open mould and watch the beauties just drop from the mould

They come out at .453 to .4535 on diameter.

So now need to do some sizing and lubing, then get to reload some shells and take the gun out for the first time

Just love it when a plan comes together.

J W

Walks
11-29-2019, 01:05 AM
I have an old 1cav Ideal mold, lost my 4cav some years back.
Replaced it with a N.O.E. 5cav
#453-247-SWC. It turns out perfect bullets like it was working under a Magician's spell.

Use it for both .45AR and .45Colt, the bullet is a bit shorter then the #452454, which doesn't always work in the Italian clones.

Congrats on your New Revolver.

StrawHat
12-05-2019, 08:56 AM
I use that boolit in a few revolvers.

Here is a good article on that boolit.

http://www.sixguns.com/crew/cba.htm

Kevin