PDA

View Full Version : Copper clad pellets?

georgerkahn
11-28-2019, 07:48 AM
I very recently became aware of copper-clad lead pellets. Having a few .22 airguns, I am intrigued. Not so much at the claimed increase in pellet speed and accuracy, but as what may be a nifty means to "clean" lead from barrel.

Hence, I'm curious if anyone has used these, and, before I possibly elect to procure some, query your experience if they are a "plus" in airgun shooting?

Thanks....
geo

igolfat8
11-28-2019, 09:20 PM
I remember seeing a Ted’s Holdover YouTube on those pellets. He said that the vast majority of guns don’t like them but he found only one gun that liked em but darned if I can remember which gun it was.

fiberoptik
11-29-2019, 01:35 AM
Cut a few Q-tips in half. Add a few drops of Ballistol, load & shoot. Finish with a dry one. That’s how I git R done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Multigunner
11-29-2019, 08:46 AM
Cut a few Q-tips in half. Add a few drops of Ballistol, load & shoot. Finish with a dry one. That’s how I git R done.

That's exactly how I've been doing it. Thought I had hit on something new.
The breeches of my air guns don't allow for using a cleaning rod in a normal manner without risking crown damage and even a pull through is hard to use.

georgerkahn
11-29-2019, 11:11 AM
The open breech area on my Marauders is so wee, I had thoughts re the copper clad pellets -- still hoping someone who has used them remarks. Re cleaning, I do same as fiberoptic and Multigunner, except I use a 50:50 mix of Ballistol and Kroil. (I don't know if the mix is better than just Ballistol, but a couple of really "OCD" airgunners I know with multi-thousand-dollar airguns use this mix)
Anyway, with the very small space afforded at breech to clean, as indicated in my starting thread, it sure would be nice to just send a few copper-clad pellets down range as needed. (Of course, "real" cleaning would not be eliminated -- but for the cost of a tin of Cu pellets....) I may just order a tin and check it out, myself. :)
Similarly, we (friends, too) used to periodically send jacketed bullet loaded rounds down our leaded .38 S&W Special, and similar barrels to (amazingly!) clean out the lead.
geo

1Hawkeye
11-29-2019, 02:38 PM
I tried some Mauser brand copper pellets in my Beeman R7 .177 many years ago they look just like the Crossman's do they did go quite a bit faster but were not as accurate and left copper fowling in the bore by the time I was done with the tin of them. Back in the day Beeman used to make wool felt pellets for cleaning but I don't know if they still do. They did a very good job of cleaning the bore.

Multigunner
11-29-2019, 11:42 PM
I've been out of Balistol for awhile and figure most other solvents would eat up seals so I've been soaking the Q-tips in lighter fluid instead. If anything it works better.

PS
The cut down Q-Tips are fairly stable in flight and if the air or gas pressure isn't too high they make decent darts for indoor shooting at pieces of cardboard.

fiberoptik
11-30-2019, 12:56 AM
Always wondered about the felt pellets.

fiberoptik
11-30-2019, 12:57 AM
Lighter fluid is Naptha.

igolfat8
12-01-2019, 09:05 AM
I use a product called Strike Hold. Send a wet patch down the bore, let soak for a few minutes, follow up with 2 dry patches 1 more wet and 1 more dry patch and its as clean and shiny as a mirror. Amazing cleaner and dry lube. Been using it for years on my PB guns.