PDA

View Full Version : Concealed carry permits

xs11jack
11-27-2019, 10:51 PM
Here is the thing, both the wife and I have Missouri Conceal carry permits and they are coming up for renewal next month. Missouri has passed a law that says you don't need a permit to carry concealed. So is there any advantage in dropping the state permit and just carry without?
Ole Jack

edler7
11-27-2019, 11:04 PM
You won’t be able to CC in states that have reciprocity with MO without a valid permit.

Todd N.
11-28-2019, 12:34 AM
You won’t be able to CC in states that have reciprocity with MO without a valid permit.

Not completely true.

Some states such as Arizona, Idaho, and I believe Alaska, base the reciprocity on the standard of the home state of residence of the person. A police officer in Arizona couldn't care less if you have a permit or not when carrying concealed- provided you are not a prohibited person- as Arizona is also a "no permit needed for residents" state.

JBinMN
11-28-2019, 02:11 AM
Personally, I would obtain the card( & did) even if MN was to change to Concealed Carry without permit ( Const. Carry).

The fact that one who has a permit has to retake the firearms training every 5 years is one that I would think is good for more than a couple of reasons.

1) Demonstrates that the CC permit carrier is relatively "up to date/current" & "caught up on" on any changes in Laws that may have been made in the previous 5 years since they last took the course of instruction.

2) Demonstrates that the permit carrier is inclined to be a responsible CC Permit carrier due to the fact that they are not required to take such a course, but did so anyway.

3) It doesn't hurt to take the course anyway.

^ The top 2 of which would be likely be helpful in placing a "positive light" on ones character & knowledge, if one is ever in a situation where they had to draw( & possibly fire) their firearm in self defense & were then charged with a crime & had to go to court & have an attorney defend them. Vs. a person who had not gone the extra steps to get a CC permit & just carried a concealed handgun without taking the training & staying "up-to date/current". ( < That is a presumption & not guaranteed, but it could help anyway)

So, while it is not required, I would think that a D.A. of a jurisdiction, the judge, jury or all, would take into consideration that one took the extra step, even though it was not legally necessary, as a consideration in favor of the person who did take that extra step, vs someone in the same situation who did not.

A negative reason might be that it might be used as a way to ID you are a firearm owner if the gubment ever decides that is a good thing to do. (like registration/confiscation)

Another might be the cost/inconvenience if you had to travel & stay some where to take the course & if the course had a fee & the issuing LEO agency had a fee as well.

Anyway, G'Luck! in your decisions about this!

ETA - I see that Missouri does not require one to retake the class again, while MN does. But the reasons I offered for getting a permit remain possibilities anyway.
;)

abunaitoo
11-28-2019, 03:39 AM
Your lucky to be able to get one.
It will be a cold day in Hell before we ever do.
I would renew it just to have the card.
That way there will be no question you can carry.

MrWolf
11-28-2019, 08:09 AM
We have Constitutional carry here. I ended up getting my WV concealed and let my Florida one expire. Let's me go to PA and carry. Only problem is I still have to cross MD and they are ridiculous with their ccw laws.

Froogal
11-28-2019, 10:22 AM
Here in Iowa, you need either a permit to acquire, or a concealed carry permit if you want to purchase a firearm. The permit to acquire requires the same paperwork and background check as the CC permit, so a person might as well get the CC permit and be done for 5 more years. The permit to acquire is good for just ONE year.

Geezer in NH
11-28-2019, 10:39 AM
Same here in NH Constitutional carry, Members in my family still get the carry permit for use in other states. Our permits have always been shall issue

Outpost75
11-28-2019, 11:09 AM
After WV passed Constitutional Carry I maintained the permit for reciprocity reasons.

When you buy a gun the state police computer instant background check goes through much more quickly when you have the permit than if you don't.

Bazoo
11-28-2019, 11:18 AM
I kept mine even though Ky went constitutional carry. Reason was 3 fold. First, for travel if needed. Second, sorta a friendly headsup to Leos that I'm law abiding. I figure they are less likely to hassle me about carrying this way. Third, they might change the law back, to whit, I don't want to take the class again.

waksupi
11-28-2019, 11:19 AM
In Montana it makes it so they don't have to call in to NICS for a background check before a purchase. You still need to do the 4733.

redriverhunter
11-28-2019, 12:03 PM
I don't know your states laws but in Texas ccl allows me to walk out the door with a firearm I just purchased.

country gent
11-28-2019, 02:36 PM
One thing the permit might help with is if your checked or questioned its a voucher to your back ground and training. Might not mean a lot then again it might.

higgins
11-28-2019, 03:29 PM
I've seen ads on local websites where a seller in a private sale requires a valid HCP for the buyer.

Daver7
11-28-2019, 03:46 PM
I don't know your states laws but in Texas ccl allows me to walk out the door with a firearm I just purchased.
Same here in Kansas, but some stores have a policy of running a check same as not having a ccl.

Bazoo
11-28-2019, 04:06 PM
In ky the ccdw license allows stores to skip the ATF call, but you still have to fill out the 4473. But in the state, it also allows you to carry any deadly weapon, not just handguns. So, now that we went constitution carry, it's still required for switchblades and boot knives. At least that's the understanding, as it's a gray area at present.

Larry Gibson
11-28-2019, 04:28 PM
I also recommend keeping the CCW for reciprocity.

bob208
11-28-2019, 05:02 PM
I would keep it up. just on the out side chance you run into a cop that does not know the law.

I live in pa. and when we go to visit family in va. that 12 mi. stretch through md. I fell like a pilgrim in a evil land.

Froogal
11-28-2019, 05:22 PM
Same here in Kansas, but some stores have a policy of running a check same as not having a ccl.

Same here in Iowa. I mostly buy from vendors at gun shows, or directly from a licensed dealer.

xs11jack
11-29-2019, 12:35 AM
I have been converted to getting the permit renewed. It will will be good to have for travel and ID. Thank you everyone for your input. God bless you all.
Ole Jack

samari46
11-29-2019, 02:33 AM
Keep the permit, too many reasons not to do so. Frank

firefly1957
11-29-2019, 04:42 PM
Personally I like having the CPL even if Michigan were to go Constitutional carry I would keep mine up as extra I.D.

JoeJames
11-29-2019, 05:00 PM
In Montana it makes it so they don't have to call in to NICS for a background check before a purchase. You still need to do the 4733.Same for Arkansas; to me that makes it worthwhile, along with reciprocal coverage in Mississippi and Tennessee (unless its been changed).

Chief Ten Beers
11-30-2019, 01:23 AM
I kept mine even though Ky went constitutional carry. Reason was 3 fold. First, for travel if needed. Second, sorta a friendly headsup to Leos that I'm law abiding. I figure they are less likely to hassle me about carrying this way. Third, they might change the law back, to whit, I don't want to take the class again.

Do you think they might change the law back now that Andy Beshear was elected?

stubshaft
11-30-2019, 02:09 AM
I keep mine up to date for the reciprocity when I travel.

MostlyLeverGuns
11-30-2019, 10:50 AM
Wyoming has 'Constitional Carry', but Reciprocity for travel is important to me, since Nebraska is very close, also the pass on background check when purchasing a firearm makes a difference.

1911sw45
11-30-2019, 01:37 PM
Chef Ten Bears,
I would not put anything pass Andy Beshear.

Idz
11-30-2019, 01:45 PM
New Mexico CCW requires NICS check, FBI fingerprint check, mental health check, shooting qualifications, classroom instruction, and a written test. Even so the NM government refuses to request a NICS exemption for CCW licensees and the Bloomberg bought crooked dem Governor even requires another NICS check for CCW holders for private sales. I wish the residents would wake up and see lies the dems have been telling for decades and vote them out.

David2011
12-04-2019, 05:43 PM
I just escaped New Mexico for the land of freedom. CHL in hand.

Bazoo
12-04-2019, 06:12 PM
Do you think they might change the law back now that Andy Beshear was elected?
Personally I think they will. I've not talked to any cops that agree with constitutional carry, nor does the folks at the local gun store. The FOP was complaining about it on the news when it passed. I don't see much support for it other than the few people I'm friends with that are pro gun, and not all of those.

Ky went back democrat on the governor cause Bevin was too prickly to the sissies. I think Trump will be out because of the same. I think Beshear knows he won because folks couldn't stand Bevin. I expect him to not do anything rash, at least at first.