PDA

View Full Version : Cone style flash hiders on jungle carbines etc

mickbr
11-27-2019, 07:47 AM
fellas what was the purpose and effect of the full cone type flash hiders, sometimes called 'rocket nozzles' as seen on the enfield jungle carbines and some machine guns of the era. There seems to be a bit of 'bro science' and urban myth surrounding flash supressor conversations on the net and I am trying to discern the facts. I assume reducing signature to the enemy is probably inneffective, but I can see they might reduce the impact to the firers night vision to be able to direct the flash forward? I was also wondering if since they direct the exiting flash forward they might reduce percieved noise to the firer somewhat. Sort of the reverse effect of a muzzlebrake?

Petrol & Powder
11-27-2019, 08:44 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_suppressor

Bazoo
11-27-2019, 10:54 AM
I had a Jungle Carbine for a while. It reduced muzzle flash signature but did nothing for volume. The standard flash hider on an ar15 is shaped like a cone on the inside even though the outside is cylindrical.

El Bibliotecario
11-28-2019, 12:00 AM
Having never fired my No5 rifle in darkness I have no idea how the flash suppressor works. However, there is a very good memoir, The Last Parallel, by Martin Russ, about his service as a marine in Korea. He recounts removing the flash suppressor from his Browning Automatic Rifle, then realizing during his next night action that its function was to prevent the shooter from being blinded by muzzle flash.

mickbr
11-28-2019, 06:10 PM
Thanks fellas. As to wikipedia, not as trusting of it as I used to be. Too many kids having a play at sounding like gun writers on it. Used to be more experienced types doing those articles. Now everyone has a chop at it.

Bazoo
11-28-2019, 06:38 PM
Guess it's not the norm, but I shoot a few shots occasionally at night. Interesting to see what kind of muzzle flash each caliber and gun has.

john.k
11-28-2019, 08:13 PM
The cordite Mk 7 round produces very little flash,mainly just few red particles.....Some modern factory ammo has a monumental flash ,nothing would hide it....But carbine length barrels are the norm now anyway,like loud cars , seems the need to be noticed is paramount..

country gent
11-28-2019, 08:17 PM
The flash hiders broke up the flask and were meant to relieve the long arrow pointing back to the shooter and also help maintain the shooters night vision. The M1A/M14s flash hiders slots weren't evenly spaced the bottom was solid so dirt dust and grass weren't kicked up. Most soldiers fire from close to the ground and in areas with fine sand volcanic ashes or debris this became an issue. Another benefit of the heavy flash hiders was in protecting the muzzle / crown in rough conditions.

tbx-4
11-30-2019, 09:19 PM
...also help maintain the shooters night vision.

This is what I understand the cone shaped flash suppressors were for. The No4 Lee Enfields having 25" long barrels didn't have the problem of blinding the shooter but with the No5 carbine and it's 17.8" barrel it became a concern.