PDA

View Full Version : Stihl chainsaw

rl69
11-26-2019, 08:19 PM
I lost fire in my saw. Flywheel and coil was clean the gap was good cleaned them better still no spark. I disconnected the kill switch no spark flywheel had strong magnet ?

Bad coil? Put on a new coil no spark ? Took it back to the shop they put a diferent flywheel on. Problum solved runs like a champ????? What I'm I missing the flywheel is clean and in good condition strong magnit ?

What could go bad? The guy at the shop didn't have a clue???

Winger Ed.
11-26-2019, 08:39 PM
If there was a even a small crack on the underside of the flywheel at the mounting hole, that'll do it.

I've had that happen a couple times with Briggs & Stratton and Tecumech small engines.

You'd think since its just a wheel and a magnet, it wouldn't matter, but it did in my experience.

georgerkahn
11-26-2019, 08:40 PM
Bion, I'm kind of a "Stihl" man -- I have fourteen Stihl chainsaws, albeit one is used as the power-head on my Lewis Winch (great Canadian tool!!!). My only three (only 3?) complaints are that, side by side cutting with fellows using Huskie's and Jonsereds (sp?), my Stihls seem to use about twice the fuel to do same cutting; I don't know if it's unique to Stihl's with today's "gasoline", but most have carbs which need cleaning/adjustment if a saw is not used almost daily; and third, they all seem to be bar-oil-leakers -- e.g., one of my 026Pro's is such that it's habit for me to simply pour out left over chain oil before putting it away...
Conversely, I've only had one sort-of-electrical problem -- this on a H100 pole saw -- where a wire came out of its connector and I could not use switch (until repaired) to turn motor off.
I generally reckoned the electrical system as one of Stihl's best features.
I know OMC (Evinrude outboard people) would sometimes use two incompatible with each other flywheels on some of their models -- notoriously their 9.9/15 hp models - one used on pull start, the other on electric start models. But, I know of know need/reason with chainsaws. Unless, perhaps, the magnet dropped out of yours?
What is the model number of the saw you have?
Curious george ;)

trails4u
11-26-2019, 08:40 PM
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/has-anyone-ever-seen-a-bad-flywheel-cause-no-spark.276325/

apparently you're not alone....

rl69
11-26-2019, 08:59 PM
On the bottom side there is a small bit of the plastic worn down

kfd518
11-26-2019, 09:08 PM
FW dropped, hit, bad kickback that set the brake, magnet still decent strength but not strong enough. An impact can change the poles of a magnet. Magnets could be cracked. Any number of things. I’ve seen all of the above cause it thought the BAD kickback was on an old saw that I suspect the magnet was weak in to begin with.

rl69
11-26-2019, 09:18 PM
How can I check the poles ? The magnetic is strong ?

rl69
11-27-2019, 10:47 AM
Well I put a compus on the flywheel the lead magnit is south the trailing one is north but what I can't find is what it's supposed to be ?

Reverend Al
11-27-2019, 05:56 PM
Maybe it was caused by cold weather? Do you know what happens to chainsaws in cold weather?

[smilie=l:

https://i.imgur.com/2uoOMf7.jpg

jonp
11-27-2019, 07:56 PM
If there was a even a small crack on the underside of the flywheel at the mounting hole, that'll do it.

You just helped me solve a problem with an old Husky 41 I rebuilt but wouldn't run without a lot of help. :drinks:

higgins
11-28-2019, 03:33 PM
On my almost 40 year old Stihl 031av, after much swearing and carrying on, and trips to mechanics, I replaced the on/off switch and it ran.