PDA

View Full Version : Who else has their Christmas decorations up?

Idaho45guy
11-26-2019, 05:16 AM
Since I got divorced and bought my own little 3-bedroom home a few years ago, I put up some LED C9 bulbs in the main story windows and leave them up year round. Nobody notices them and nobody inside the house nags me about them, so, I just plug them in when it's appropriate.

Usually, I wait until after Thanksgiving to turn them on. Tonight, we had snow in the forecast and work sucks, so I turned them on early. I even added another 600 lights to my privacy fence today and plugged them in.

With all that's going on in the world, I think we could all do with a little earlier Christmas cheer.

Who else couldn't wait this year? Or do you have a rigid date that you wait for to install the lights?

I don't do a tree anymore since my roommate, a 100lb great dane/lab mix, just thinks it a new potty. But I do a table top little tree of some sort and put out a few interior decorations.

Girlfriend just suggested some cinnamon-scented pine cones... Polite way of saying my house stinks?

Anyway, I love this time of year and can't wait for at least a foot of snow blanketing everything!

RKJ
11-26-2019, 08:11 AM
My wife and DIL have our house decorated already. It's sort of nice being one of the first ones this year.

Wayne Smith
11-26-2019, 08:41 AM
Don't decorate outdoors - too much light pollution already and I see no reason to work to increase it. I'll get the tree out in a couple of weekends and LOML will put it up since she's now retired.

Tom_et
11-26-2019, 08:45 AM
We always wait till after Thanksgiving

6bg6ga
11-26-2019, 08:50 AM
I think I'm going to cancel Christmas this year due to lack of interest.

MrWolf
11-26-2019, 09:52 AM
6bg6ga I've felt like that too but Christmas is in your heart. Put up a tree no matter the size and you may be surprised. Best of luck sir.

I don't put up outside lights as I am kinda remote and don't like to advertise where I am. I do put up a fully decorated tree with a train around it and a bunch of my Mother's decorative houses she loved so much. I put a plastic fence around everything. Girlfriend and I celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday and she helped setup the tree so I gave her a special ornament to put up plus stockings for her and her dog along with mine and my dog. We had a very nice day. Happy Thanksgiving folks and be safe.

Sig556r
11-26-2019, 10:08 AM
After Halloween, a neighboring HOA wrote up a resident for putting up Christmas (I refuse to call it politically-correct: holidays) lights/ornaments in his front-yard/facade too soon & allegedly, a certain newly-moved "neighbor" complained about it as offensive to their "culture". Following week, several residents put up their lights/ornaments & followed by even more, in defiance to their HOA & offended "neighbor". This should serve as an example of standing up as a community rather than giving-in to freakin' snowflakes who move in & instead of assimilating, wants to impose. Nowhere in the constitution does it say Thou shall not be offended....smh

pete501
11-26-2019, 11:12 AM
Jeffery Epstein and Christmas Lights don't hang themselves.

375supermag
11-26-2019, 12:30 PM
jeffery epstein and christmas lights don't hang themselves.

lol!!!

375supermag
11-26-2019, 12:34 PM
My wife and son take care of putting up Christmas decorations here at The Estate.
I help by going with them to pick out a tree.
Once the tree is set up, they are on their own.
I supervise from the safety of my recliner. I occasionally offer suggestions which are routinely ignored.
All of this usually occurs around mid December. Decorations usually come down a day or two after New Year's Day.

1hole
11-26-2019, 12:38 PM
Not me. ??

Idaho45guy
11-26-2019, 01:50 PM
Jeffery Epstein and Christmas Lights don't hang themselves.

Well played!

jimlj
11-26-2019, 02:57 PM
On a warm day a couple weeks ago I put up some lights outside. I refuse to turn them on till after the yard bird is a memory.

lightman
11-26-2019, 03:02 PM
The Wife decorated a few weeks ago. We usually wait until Thanksgiving has passed but this years Thanksgiving has been canceled. All of the family is going to be out of town and the Wife was depressed about so She started decorating.

We have the usual Christmas tree, with lights. Several figures or figurines, snow houses or villages. She changes the pictures to Christmas scenes, all kinds of gizmo's on the counters and tables. The inside of the house looks like a Hallmark shop!

We built cabinets in the garage just for Her seasonal decorations!

Texas by God
11-26-2019, 04:43 PM
I quit putting them up outside because only air traffic can see them. But we'll put up the tree after Thanksgiving like always and take it down Jan 2nd like always.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

toallmy
11-26-2019, 05:41 PM
I don't put up any outside , but my neighbor puts up enough for the whole neighborhood .
So I enjoy walking the doggies after sunset looking at his yard .

Bookworm
11-26-2019, 06:50 PM
Mrs Bookworm takes care whatever seasonal decorating that needs done. She usually puts up Christmas right after Turkey Day.

Right after we were married, she asked me about outdoor lights. I told her I was fine with whatever outdoor lights she puts up and takes down. That put a stop to it at the beginning:twisted:

There's a housing addition not far away, when she wants to see lights we go drive through there.

xs11jack
11-26-2019, 08:51 PM
There is a long street in my neighborhood that seems to be in a race to get the first lights up and turned on. And there is a guy who's house is on a corner and on the main drag that has every known wire figure with lights on it. His light bill must be in the thousands. My contribution is one of those solar lights. It is the figure of a cow.
Ole Jack

redhawk0
11-26-2019, 09:02 PM
I don't do outside anymore....its to dang cold in New England to take them down...and I hate just leaving them up....so......

We always decorate the inside of the house the Saturday AFTER Thanksgiving.

redhawk

Kev18
11-26-2019, 09:18 PM
Couldnt really care less about other holidays. I love Christmas. Two trees up in the house. One mini one in my room and one in the living room.

bayjoe
11-26-2019, 09:33 PM
I love Christmas
I put my outside lights up Veterans Day and we put up the tree last weekend.
Snows a blowing and the lights are blinking. Just luv it

Driver33
11-26-2019, 10:32 PM
Our tree has been up since Halloween. Outside decor about a week later

Winger Ed.
11-27-2019, 12:10 AM
The wife changes the fall wreath on the front door to the Christmas wreath after Thanksgiving.

We've only lived here 2 years, and the first holiday season, a neighbor asked if we were going to decorate for Christmas.

I told him I might put a string of lights on the chainsaw, but that'd probably be about it.

His expression would have made a dog laugh...……….

smoked turkey
11-27-2019, 02:12 AM
I love the sights, sounds, smells, and most of all the true meaning of Christmas, when we celebrate the incarnation of Jesus Christ. We used to pick out a cedar tree from the field but a few years ago went the artificial route. It is not the same as a real tree, but I am more comfortable with the artificial tree due to the fire hazard of the cedar tree. We have a Mary, Joseph, the wise men, shepherds, and of course the baby Jesus that we put in the front yard each year as well. I like our assortment of Christmas music that fills the house too. I could go on and on, but you get the idea that I LIKE Christmas.

Thundarstick
11-27-2019, 06:32 AM
We don't do outside lights, but it's as Christmas as it gets inside! Tree, check, lights, check, decor, check! We are working Thanksgiving, so tomorrow is a bust as far as food and celebration.

Maineboy
11-27-2019, 06:49 AM
Our outdoor lights went up last Sunday and the inside decorations and tree will go up this weekend. Mrs. Maineboy is pretty big on Christmas decorations and will never allow an artificial tree in our house. The house looks really nice when she is done decorating and I look forward to helping her. Our three children and their families all live in different parts of the state and do their own thing Christmas day, but we will all be together at our place someday between Christmas and New Years when we will spend the day opening presents and having a feast. The saddest thing about Christmas at our place is that our six grandchildren have no idea what the Nativity scene is all about. None have them have been raised going to Church and all they know is the commercialized Christmas. I hope someday they will appreciate it's true meaning.

Beagle333
11-27-2019, 08:04 AM
Our tree went up a couple of weeks ago. We like Christmas. We don't have any children, but we celebrate it just for ourselves. :-D

lightman
11-27-2019, 09:09 AM
I forgot to mention lights in my previous post. But we do a few on the front porch. We used to put a string along the flower bed borders on each side of the porch, wrap a string around the support columns on the porch, a few in the yard, ect. Now its just a lighted reef and a few figures on the porch. Years ago I made up a heavy duty extension cord with a commercial quality timer on it just for Christmas lights. I think I have it set to turn on about 4:30 and off at 10:00.

abunaitoo
11-28-2019, 03:49 AM
I was just checking the lights tonight.
Getting them all to work. Replacing bulbs.
Still the old style, with the small glass bulbs.
Wii put them up on Dec1.

Idaho45guy
11-28-2019, 02:04 PM
Couldnt really care less about other holidays. I love Christmas. Two trees up in the house. One mini one in my room and one in the living room.

I've noticed lately that more people seem to go all out for Halloween than they do for Christmas. Sad.

Idaho45guy
11-28-2019, 02:10 PM
I love the sights, sounds, smells, and most of all the true meaning of Christmas, when we celebrate the incarnation of Jesus Christ. We used to pick out a cedar tree from the field but a few years ago went the artificial route. It is not the same as a real tree, but I am more comfortable with the artificial tree due to the fire hazard of the cedar tree. We have a Mary, Joseph, the wise men, shepherds, and of course the baby Jesus that we put in the front yard each year as well. I like our assortment of Christmas music that fills the house too. I could go on and on, but you get the idea that I LIKE Christmas.

We used to go out and cut down a live tree in the woods. Then when we moved to Arizona, I just went down to the local Home Depot and got a $70 8' tree. Beautiful trees!

The last year I lived there, I went to get rid of the tree after New Years and despite it being watered, I noticed that it was pretty dry.

I took it outside and set it upright in the fire pit and lit it.

Holy cow! That thing went like pure gasoline and shot white hot flames 20' in the air! Haven't had a live tree in the house since.

smoked turkey
11-28-2019, 09:08 PM
Idaho45guy, that is exactly what I see when I cut and pile cedars here from time to time. They go up quick if they are allowed to get a little dry. Kind of scares me when I think of the cheap string of Christmas lights on that tree!

Tom W.
11-28-2019, 10:47 PM
Lori ordered an artificial tree and this year we started before Thanksgiving putting it up. We finished up today with her sweet touches. If it was up to me I'd get a little two foot tree that you pull from a box and set on an end table, if I did that much. I'm an old curmudgeon now.....

samari46
11-29-2019, 02:35 AM
Our tree never comes down. Wife goes in the living room and sits in a chair just watching the lights. Then adds more lights. I used to pretty indifferent about Christmas after my Dad and sister died right before and after Christmas. When my two daughters it was all about them. Over the passing years have come to enjoy the Christmas holidays and basically with one grandson it it's fun to see him tear through the wrapping paper. May not sound much but there it is. Frank

smithnframe
11-29-2019, 08:28 AM
Don't decorate and never will!

6bg6ga
11-29-2019, 08:47 AM
Christmas to me lost its true meaning many years ago. Now its nothing more than the big stores trying to turn their bottom line a little blacker. It takes the fun out of things when Christmas trees are up in stores before Halloween has even passed. Have no desire to celebrate Christmas this year after having our son and his family leave and return to Iowa before Thanksgiving. The only thing I have looked for a decent meal with family and friends. I don't care for any gifts as I have everything I need and no need for anymore junk.

Idaho45guy
11-29-2019, 11:59 AM
Yes, Christmas has lost it's meaning to most Americans.

I remember a few years ago that I was walking downtown in my Idaho hometown a few days before Christmas. There was snow on the ground and all the lights were up. People were hurrying by with shopping bags full of gifts.

I remember growing up, that this time of year just felt different. It was magical. Dare I say spiritual. People were smiling, they were more patient, they were more gracious. You could just feel the "goodwill towards all men" in the air. For a few magical weeks, people were just happier and more "merry".

But I remember that one cold December late afternoon that the feeling was gone. There was a sense of impatience, of stress, of competition in consumerism that had taken over.

It was about the same time that the phrase "Happy Holidays" gained popularity. People started feeling guilty and self-conscious in saying "Merry Christmas".

I sincerely believe that leftism/liberalism/progressiveness/political correctness is a disease that sucks the joy out of people. It destroys, like a cancer, everything that it wraps itself around.

It has long focused it's tentacles on the Christmas season and we are feeling the effects of its disease.

So I tune my car's radio to Christmas music, I wish people a "Merry Christmas" ever chance I get, I decorate my home with lights and wreaths and crosses in an effort to try and ward off the evil that has enveloped our nation.

I hold open doors for people more often, I smile as much as possible when shopping, I try and be a more decent human being.

Those of us who still remember what it used to be like need to hold on to those feelings and stand up for the magic of Christmas and the timeless message of triumph that it signifies.

Minerat
11-29-2019, 12:08 PM
Wife said do it, last weekend. Me nope not till Friday after Thanksgiving. Now 18" of snow on ground and Roof covered too. I don't do snow covered roofs any more. The ground is too far down now if ya slip off. May be a while till it melts enough to get them up.

coloraydo
11-29-2019, 05:14 PM
Wife said do it, last weekend. Me nope not till Friday after Thanksgiving. Now 18" of snow on ground and Roof covered too. I don't do snow covered roofs any more. The ground is too far down now if ya slip off. May be a while till it melts enough to get them up.

But the ground is 18"closer to the roof, not as far to fall, and it is a lot softer now.:kidding:

Minerat
11-29-2019, 05:59 PM
^^^lol^^ it still hurts. Thanks for the laugh.

abunaitoo
12-06-2019, 02:14 AM
Gout still bothering me, but I got the lights up.
I checked them, and got all the lights to work.
Of course once I get them up, one color didn't work.
Not going to take them all down just to fix it.
Not much of a xmas guy anyway.

Mal Paso
12-06-2019, 07:28 PM
Christmas decorations have been put up and taken down already this year. New Years decorations have to come down this weekend as Easter prep starts next week. Not sure if I'm keeping up or falling behind.