PDA

View Full Version : What did I buy?

MarkK
11-08-2008, 09:28 PM
:confused: Bought the following press today but no where is it marked. Pretty sure I'm missing part(s) for the shell holder. Looking forward to responses. Regards, Mark

Jim Macklin
11-08-2008, 09:40 PM
It looks like an autoshop bearing press made from a drill press column. It has that industrial look of a Herter's press. It could designed to load 50 BMG, does tyhe top thread take 7/8-14 or does it need a bushing to reduce it to 7/8-14?

imashooter2
11-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Not sure what it is, but I can't see that linkage sizing .50 BMG. The mounting features look weak too...

ETA: Huh! After the other posts I Googled Hollywood Senior and found a picture of one sizing 20mm Lahti. Guess I was a little off on my evaluation.:oops:

mikenbarb
11-08-2008, 09:50 PM
It almost looks like an old Potter design but cant find one that looks like that. Looks cool and should work great for loading big stuff. Check and see what the hole size is where the shell holder goes because it may take Lyman Tru-Line type shell holders.

shooterg
11-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Maybe they know ?

http://www.antiquereloadingtools.org/

MarkK
11-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the quick responses! The press is set up to take standard dies but the assembly that holds the die looks to be removable. The hole where the shell plat would go is not threaded with i.d. of ~0.73". Not familiar with the Lyman Tru-Line type... Will this work on this press? Mark

jhrosier
11-08-2008, 10:33 PM
I seem to remember a Hollywood reloading press that looked like that.

Jack

KCSO
11-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Looks like a Hollywood to me I would have to check my old books for a model number. By the By these are going for $100 or more on the auctions.

Pavogrande
11-08-2008, 11:34 PM
I agree with the others -- looks like a Hollywood senior to me -- shellholders have a hollow threaded stud that goes thru the hole and a nut -- Press was rather expensive at $75 in about 1962 -- At least compared to Herter at $13.95 -- Even a Rock chucker was only $54 -- Guess what I ended up with ----

Pressman
11-08-2008, 11:46 PM
It is a Hollywood Senior press made after 1961. The vertical bar/brace was added to the Hollywood Senior and turret models at that time. Not a commonly encountered press today as Hollywood production began winding down at the same time. There is a patent for this press. do not have the number right handy.
The last news letter of the antique reloading tool collectores had a writeup on the Hollywoods.
Ken

NoDakJak
11-09-2008, 10:36 PM
It is a Hollywood Senior identical to the one that I still use extensively. I bought mine used in 1971 and considered it a bargain at $35. It was considered the Rolls Royce of reloading presses in the late fifties and early sixties. Clean it up and lube it and you will be amazed at how smoothly it operates. I have loaded umpty thousands of rounds with mine and it is still in great shape. RCBS makes a C&H type adapter for the shell holder. I just purchased one about a year for an H type press. Neil

MarkK
11-10-2008, 01:22 AM
Couple squirts of WD40 and runs pretty slick. Super smooth! Do you (or anyone)happen to have a part number for the adapter? Looks like I'm also missing the priming assembly - are these available?

STP22
11-10-2008, 05:09 AM
Mark,

The shellholder adapter from RCBS is #99200

Scott

missionary5155
11-10-2008, 05:37 AM
Can that thing reload 40mm bofor ??? There is a twin mount out front the old Post Office in.... :)

Cactus Farmer
11-10-2008, 05:47 AM
Yes you can load for a bofor but molds are heavy,expensive and hard on your lead supply(4 lbs a piece). Fun shooting though(no need for a spotting scope).

shotman
11-10-2008, 08:55 AM
watch feebay there was some parts listed last week that was for that press. I will look Ithink I have a couple of shell holders. You guys that have them isnt the primeing punch the same as the Lyman old style that was used on the true line and all american.. rick

Dale53
11-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Since the Hollywood is a single stage press, just buy a Lee hand priming tool:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=807875

This is much faster than the original and you can feel the primer seat. Lots of bench rest guys have used these for years. Inexpensive, good feel, and actually quite fast with a capacity of a full box of primers.

Just a suggestion...

Dale53

mikenbarb
11-10-2008, 10:26 AM
Arent all Hollywoods marked somewhere? If so you should be able to find the name somewhere on it but I think it was always embosed on the side of the frame on them. All the shell holders should be a shank type with threads on the bottom that hold it in the press. Im going thru a tough time finding parts for my Hollywood Universal press but the C&H shell holders with a shank are the same one for these types. Its worth investing in an adaptor but I want to keep mine as close to original as possible because their a great press and still bring top dollar for them when you find one. I was fortunate enough last week to step in a BIG pile of poo and get a bunch of high end vintage reloading equipment that included a Hollywood Universal press in mint shape with a 12 station turret and two other lower turret assemblies for priming rods and shell holders. Look on e-bay from time to time for parts but dont expect to get them cheap and original Hollywood shell holders are bringing over 20 bucks plus shipping.:( I may be getting a couple extra primer rods soon and if so I will let you know. Good luck with it.
PS- I was the winner of the primer assembly last week.LOL. I got it pretty cheap for 18 bucks!

MarkK
11-10-2008, 10:44 PM
I know what you mean about originality. I'll keep my eyes open for the Hollywood holders and parts when I go to shows, shops and surf the web. I trust these are marked? Speaking of which, there are absolutely NO maker markings on this press anywhere. Weird. Possible prototype?

There is small S near the hole where the shell holder goes. This hole is ~3/4" in diameter - no threads. The RCBS part number mentioned shows a part that doesn't look like it will work. Pretty sure I need the threaded one that attaches with a nut.

See additional pics below. And thanks again for all the replies - you guys are great!

mikenbarb
11-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Its not a prototype and theirs too much finished work to be one. Im still confused on the Hollywood model this is and trying to find some pics and if anyone has some can you please post them with what primer rod parts this uses.

jrgift
11-11-2008, 07:57 PM
I have been using a Hollywood turret press for years now and have never found name on it.Did have at one time a parts list ,since we moved I have a hard time finding any thing.

mikenbarb
11-11-2008, 08:08 PM
I was looking around and I found a Texan that looks almost identicle to this style but its a turret press.

Pressman
11-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Three primer posts mounted on a Hollywood Model B Special. That's teh tripple turret press based upon the Universal frame. The same posts will work on the Standard presses or most any of the 1/4" threaded posts used by Redding, Hollywood, C-H, Herter's, Texan and others.
Ken

mikenbarb
11-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Markk, They have the exact one on e-bay but minus the stiffener rod in the front. It would be good to watch to see what they are going for.
Pressman, Wanna sell those primer assys?? LOL.

quasi
11-13-2008, 01:34 PM
your press id definitely a Hollywood Senior, long stroke model . If you remove the 7/8" bushing, it will accept 1 1/2" thread dies.

MtGun44
11-13-2008, 10:42 PM
The 99200 RCBS part has no pic on their site. Is this a adaptor with the
hollow threaded stem with a nut on the bottom and a RCBS/std press T-slot with
spring clip on the top? I have a Hollywood 12 hole turret and would like to
use calibers beyond the few shellholders that came with it.

Thanks.
Bill

unclebill
11-14-2008, 01:00 AM
:confused: Bought the following press today but no where is it marked. Pretty sure I'm missing part(s) for the shell holder. Looking forward to responses. Regards, Mark

that is a hollywood senior.
I found it in an old GUN DIGEST i have.
it weighs 43lbs. stripped and cost
$75 in 1968

MarkK
11-14-2008, 01:03 AM
I'm having CH4D make me a bushing for their Universal H-ram shell holder (part #407190) so that it fits with my press. You'll have to measure your particular press since apparently Hollywood made some different diameters (mine is 3/4"). Talk to Dave at CH4D.

http://www.ch4d.com/

My order from CH4D arrived today - see pic. Great fit and service! Now I need to hunt down a primer seater...