PDA

View Full Version : Lone Wolf Barrels

siamese4570
11-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Thinking about getting a Lone Wolf barrel for my glock 45 so I can shoot cast boolits. Anybody got any experience with these barrels with boolits? J boolits getting to dang expensive! Thanks

Siamese 4570

missionary5155
11-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Before you buy one... have you seen actual evidence in your barrel that cast boolits are clogging up your rifling ? I have a 40 Glock (md 22) and have shot at least a thousand rounds CAST (MINE) through it and there is /was not any more leading in that barrel as my .40S&W P9 ( Springfield). Shoot a tight fitting boolit... give it a try. I would not be suprised to find out all the Glock / Cast "problem" is from undersized boolits.. but I will not experiment will my barrel to find out. I think there is a long thread here somewhere all about this subject.
I also have a Lone Wolf barrel for my Glock 22 but so far have not even mounted it in the slide.

mooman76
11-08-2008, 08:34 PM
I had a Wolf barrel in mine (Glock22) Alot of people claim they are really good. Mine didn't shoot any better but I didn't play with the loads all that much to be fair. It didn't shoot bad either. I was having issues getting it to chamber rounds. I was shooting as cast to keep the leading down in the Glock barrel and never did have a leading issue but the wolf chamber was tighter so they wouldn't feed as well.

truckmsl
11-08-2008, 11:39 PM
I use one in my Glock 23 .40 with cast. what I like most about it is it doesn't swell out the brass like the looser stock barrel. Brass seems to last a lot longer.

missionary5155
11-09-2008, 05:00 AM
Good morning Siameze4570..
Look at the first STICKY in this section... The Truth about Glocks and Cast... Good READING I thought it was hanging about...

exile
11-09-2008, 01:24 PM
I have a Storm Lake barrel in my Glock 26 and a Jarvis in my Glock 17. You might check out the Storm Lake barrel. It is about the same price as the Lone Wolf, but supposedly better quality. I have never shot a Lone Wolf barrel, however Storm Lake apparently makes the barrels for the Sig 1911. Armchair advice since I have no experience with Lone Wolf, but like I said, you might check it out.

Exile

yondering
11-09-2008, 05:49 PM
I had a Lone Wolf barrel for my Glock 23. No more accurate than the factory barrel, but no worse either. The only advantage was being able to shoot lead. My factory barrel was terrible with lead.

seagiant
11-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Hi,
I have a LW in my Glock 20 (10MM). My reason for getting it was not the lead problem but the oversize chamber in the OEM barrel. When I went to resize my fired brass the web of the brass was so blown out that the die would shave brass off of the casing at the bottom! Not good! The LW eliminates this problem and with the price of brass now, is a cheap fix. Of course when I chose to carry that pistol I put the OEM barrel back in for reliablity!

Jimlakeside
11-10-2008, 10:05 AM
I bought a G34 for IDPA competition and replaced the factory barrel with a LW barrel. I have been very happy with the barrel, no problems and no leading. Then at a match my front sight popped off (my fault, didn't use locktite) and so I bought another G34 to have a backup. I decided not to replace the factory barrel until I had leading problems. So far the new G34 has not seen a factory round through it. The factory barrel does not lead. Like the others said I can't tell any difference in accuracy, reliability, etc. between the two barrels.

practical_man
11-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Thinking about getting a Lone Wolf barrel for my glock 45 so I can shoot cast boolits. Anybody got any experience with these barrels with boolits? J boolits getting to dang expensive! Thanks

Siamese 4570

Siamese,
I have a Lone Wolf barrel in a Glock 21. It's money well spent for me. I have no problems with chambering. Accurace is a little better than factory at 25 yard slow fire. The Lone Wolf chamber is a little easier on the brass than the glock "golfish belly" chamber.

That said, I have shot thousands of lead boolits in factory glock 9mm and 45 barrels. With properly fitted boolits (.357 for 9mm and .452 for 45) i get no leading at all in the factory barrels.

YMMV.