PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4500 problem

Oldtimer45
12-13-2005, 03:04 PM
Hy,folks. I need a little advice. I just started using a 4500 Lyman sizer and I have a problem. The push rod hits the bottom of the sizing die before it pushes the bullet out of the die. I am using an RCBS die because there or no Lyman dealer around here. Anyone have this happen and what can I do about it?

26Charlie
12-13-2005, 09:58 PM
One of my Lyman H&I dies had this problem. I drilled the bottom of the I punch, tapped the hole, and put a little screw in there to extend the length of the punch.

pdgraham
12-14-2005, 08:43 AM
I guess I don't understand the problem.

Does the push rod appears to be to short and doesn't have enough upward travel to force the piston up as far as it wil go? The piston should top out about 1/8" from the top of the die.. - If that's the case.. hmmm. I'm stumped... how did the push rod get to0 short..??.. I'd call Lyman custome service...

Or

Is the threaded sleave down too far? - If so.. the sleave needs to move up

Oldtimer45
12-14-2005, 11:57 AM
To pdgraham
The push rod is not to short,the die stops th upward travel. If anything is to short it is the eject pin inside the die. The threaded sleave is adjusted to stop the depth of the bullet in the die. The problem is the head of the push rod butts up to the bottom of the die and stops the upward travel before the bullet is far enough out of the die. 26Charlie came up with a good fix. My fix was to make a push rod that would fit into the .452 die and push the bullet up another 3/16 inch. It is the same long as the factory rod and works just fine. I do not want to make a rod for every die I use. I think the thing should work the way Lyman designed it and can't see why it does not.

Bullshop
12-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Oldtimer45
I dont know if this is possible with the Lyman but I had a similer problem with an RCBS I bought used. The problem was that the linkage was assembled backwards. I have two others to compair to and shure enough it was backwards. Took it appart got it wright and problem solved. May not apply here but thought I should mention it.
BIC/BS

Cherokee
12-14-2005, 04:49 PM
I have Lyman 4500 and have not had that problem. But, I use Lyman size dies, not RCBS. That may be the problem. You can order from Lyman over the phone if no store is near you.