PDA

View Full Version : Lee mold identification

cwlongshot
11-22-2019, 09:35 PM
Hello guys!!

I borrowed a couple molds one is a 35 cal 100 g. Truncated Cone profile. The blocks appear to be LEE. But there are no markings. I cleaned it up and still nothing found.

Here is a pic before cleaning;

Any help identification is helpful!

CW

JBinMN
11-22-2019, 10:05 PM
Lee pistol mold configurations: https://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/hand-gun-bullet-molds/

https://leeprecision.com/files/products/PistolBulletMolds.jpg

Lee Rifle mold configurations: https://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/rifle-bullet-molds/

https://leeprecision.com/files/products/RifleBulletMolds.jpg

You can use which ever one works to ID the mold.

Here is the image of where to look, etc. to help ID the mold:
https://leeprecision.com/files/categories/bulletmolddesignation.jpg

Just a guess, but it looks like the 358 - 105 - SWC
http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-358-105-swc.html
https://leeprecision.com/images/P/90316.jpg

G'Luck! Hope ya get it figured out...
:)

P.S. - If you have some Lee handles for the 6 cavs you could see if they fit, or try to see if other mold handles fit. That might help.

Once again, G'Luck!

joe leadslinger
11-22-2019, 10:18 PM
Maybe the top has been milled off ? So no markings.

Walks
11-22-2019, 10:19 PM
If there is no catalog # (5 digits) or mold description # then it might be a special order/group buy.
I don't think it's a 105gr SWC, as your bullet has no shoulder. From the pictures it is definitely a Truncated Cone design.

cwlongshot
11-23-2019, 05:36 AM
Yup, I checked that chart first, Its NOT there.

It could be milled off sure, but does not appear to be. Most of that was soot as how poorly it drops Im sure the PO had same
Difficulties I am and that was his attempt to cure it.

Bullet drops under 100g my alloy. This was unknown alloy too. Was gifted 500 44/225 GC bullets I melted them to make these. They where not soft but I did not test. Odd how out of round they are. I just grabbed a handful so not at all sure which cavitys they came from or if I even checked every one.

I sized 356 and made a 350 Legend, 380 & 357 Sig dummy rounds.

CW

JBinMN
11-23-2019, 05:50 AM
Yup, I checked that chart first, Its NOT there.

It could be milled off sure, but does not appear to be. Most of that was soot as how poorly it drops Im sure the PO had same
Difficulties I am and that was his attempt to cure it.

Bullet drops under 100g my alloy. This was unknown alloy too. Was gifted 500 44/225 GC bullets I melted them to make these. They where not soft but I did not test. Odd how out of round they are. I just grabbed a handful so not at all sure which cavitys they came from or if I even checked every one.

I sized 356 and made a 350 Legend, 380 & 357 Sig dummy rounds.

CW

OK. Well I tried to help ya out as asked in the OP.

Perhaps as was mentioned, possibly a "special/custom" mold set?

If the PO did mill it down, then would it be a closer match in profile to that 105gr, as well as gain some grains in weight, were it Not milled down?

That it was milled down would also explain the lack of ID on the top.

Lat thought. Did ya try to fit some handles to it & see what worked, as that might help with the ID as well? Or, maybe better put since I re-read your post & see you used it already,

"What type of handles worked to fit the mold?",

and what types of handles will fit the molds like the handles you used. ( like which "interchange".)

Anyway, G'Luck! finding out what it is/who made it.

cwlongshot
11-23-2019, 08:00 AM
No offense ment or implied JB!!! I dont play that way!!! I appreciate all imput. My bad for caps on not. Just ment to be clear. I always appreciate your posts!

The deep grease groove and TC profile immediately separate this from that smallest lee.

I agree could be custom or group buy many older ones used these Lee style blocks. I have a few with no markings. I checked dimensions and blocks are same height so it being milled is unlikely. But still possible.

I was kinda assuming it was simply a old lee offering. I hoped someone might recognize it. Its strangely fermilular to me but I cannot place it. I have a good friend I visit Sunday mornings for coffee who has forgotten more than many know. Im hoping he remembers or knows it.

CW

Bookworm
11-23-2019, 09:10 AM
It does look like the 358-105-SWC with part of the bottom band milled off.

Perhaps an early custom mould, prior to Lee cataloging the boolit? If the blocks measure the same as current, that's the way I would bet.

Maybe an email to Lee would help?

bikerbeans
11-23-2019, 10:06 AM
CW,

The base on that lil' boolit probably will not like much pressure. It might work on bunnies in the garden with a light charge of fast powder out of a 38 revolver.

BB

JBinMN
11-23-2019, 11:49 AM
No offense ment or implied JB!!! I dont play that way!!! I appreciate all imput. My bad for caps on not. Just ment to be clear. I always appreciate your posts!

The deep grease groove and TC profile immediately separate this from that smallest lee.

I agree could be custom or group buy many older ones used these Lee style blocks. I have a few with no markings. I checked dimensions and blocks are same height so it being milled is unlikely. But still possible.

I was kinda assuming it was simply a old lee offering. I hoped someone might recognize it. Its strangely fermilular to me but I cannot place it. I have a good friend I visit Sunday mornings for coffee who has forgotten more than many know. Im hoping he remembers or knows it.

CW

No worries! I understood ya. Offense did not even enter into my head.
:drinks:

Once again, G'Luck!

onelight
11-23-2019, 11:56 AM
Maybe I can't see the picture right but , that looks like a truncated cone and not a SWC and the lube grove looks larger than the 358-105-SWC

mdi
11-23-2019, 12:14 PM
Don't look like Lee to me. The mold has the pin type alignment rather than the bars of the old molds (new Lee molds use the pin). The bullet has a huge lube groove and looks more like a black powder revolver bullet. IIRC, don't bullet molds, including Lee have their ID numbers on the side, and won't be removed if the mold is modified?

fatelk
11-23-2019, 12:42 PM
My first thought was that it looked like a bullet meant for a black powder cartridge of some kind. Exactly what diameter are the bullets out of the mold?

cwlongshot
11-23-2019, 01:01 PM

The bullets drop a out of round about 359-366 dia.

I agree! Light loads and it does resemble a BP bullet design.

Yes, this is a TC design/ profile not a SWC.

OOH, LEE handles fit perfectly.

CW

Littlewolf
11-23-2019, 01:26 PM
it is a lee made mold it was a custom made group buy several years ago i had one of those molds for some time it works in things like .380auto or 36cal muzzle loaders hence the big deep lube groove.

tazman
11-23-2019, 01:27 PM
Interesting design in that it has a crimp groove.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-23-2019, 01:49 PM
Most of the Lee Group buys were before my time.

It does look a little like a 35 cal version of the 45 cal Collar button mold, which was a Lee Group Buy.

For more info, you could search the GB archives, try using keywords like: Deep lube groove, collar button, gallery bullet, Black powder cartridge bullet

EMC45
11-23-2019, 06:22 PM
Similar to the old "Collar Button" bullet.