PDA

View Full Version : mihec 311-410 in the blackout?????

Lloyd Smale
11-22-2019, 09:33 AM
cant seem to find a consensus if this bullet will run in an ar15 reliably as a soft hp. I don't need a hard solid bullet as the rcbs 130 does that perfectly well.

BK7saum
11-22-2019, 11:06 AM
I don't run it in the AR-15, but in a bolt action, Rem 700. The tip of the bullet at the HP is thin and fragile. I can see it possibly being damaged in an AR-15, but I honestly don't know how it would perform. It is pointy enough that it should feed fine, but it is also a short bullet and that may hinder or change the feed characteristics.

How do your jacketed bullets in that weight range feed in your AR-15? What alloy do you plan to run? Plain base or GC? If I had everything organized, I'd be happy to cast you some. I don't think I have any GC HP bullets cast at the moment. If I did, they'd be plain base for subsonic use.

I really like the 311-410 deep hollowpoint at 1050 fps out of range lead or 50/50 WW/PB. They do open up at subsonic velocities based upon a few recoveries I have.

But to answer your question, I don't know.

Brad

DAFzipper
11-22-2019, 12:22 PM
I tried it. Nose would dig into feed ramp. The only way I could get it to run was to hot glue the HP and leave a small ball on the top. It worked rather well but was more fiddling around than I liked.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Lloyd Smale
11-23-2019, 09:21 AM
kind of what I suspected. My 3 ars all run the rcbs spitizer perfectly but the round flat and lfns ive tried failed miserably. Especially when casted soft like you would do with a hp.
I tried it. Nose would dig into feed ramp. The only way I could get it to run was to hot glue the HP and leave a small ball on the top. It worked rather well but was more fiddling around than I liked.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk