PDA

View Full Version : Well....I'm glad I don't have to do THAT for another ten years.....

trails4u
11-22-2019, 12:01 AM
Had the great pleasure of my first colonoscopy today. Good news.....pipes are clean and functional. BEST news...I don't have to do that again for awhile. I know I'm preaching to the choir here....but good lord, that's an unpleasant experience!

Plate plinker
11-22-2019, 12:54 AM
Just think about the poor people working on you!

Kidding aside its the prep thats truly no fun.

trails4u
11-22-2019, 12:56 AM
Just think about the poor people working on you!

Kidding aside its the prep thats truly no fun.

Understatement of the decade..... WOW. Didn't know any of that was humanly possible. :dung_hits_fan:

alamogunr
11-22-2019, 01:02 AM
Be thankful that you didn't have to go thru that back in the 80's and 90's. I've had at least 6 and I'm facing another one next year. At least now I'm down to every 5 years. My dad passed away 37 years ago from colon cancer. That plus finding polyps occasionally, has had me going back. I'm expecting them to tell me I'm too old after this next one.

Winger Ed.
11-22-2019, 01:04 AM
Now you know how Kermit the frog feels all day-every day.

Southern Son
11-22-2019, 02:22 AM
I think that Foxworthy's story is one of the best.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jeff+foxworthy+colonoscopy+video&view=detail&mid=D03DD79D9D0C2789934BD03DD79D9D0C2789934B&FORM=VIRE

dangitgriff
11-22-2019, 08:20 AM
I am opting out of those procedures.
If anything serious is wrong with your body, they’ll find it with a blood screen.
R/Griff

rondog
11-22-2019, 09:11 AM
The procedure itself is a non-issue to me, I've slept through both of them. But the PREP stuff is AWFUL!!!

osteodoc08
11-22-2019, 09:15 AM
I am opting out of those procedures.
If anything serious is wrong with your body, they’ll find it with a blood screen.
R/Griff

Not true for colon cancer. If you opt out of the colonoscopy, get the DNA stool testing at least. Blood work won’t detect a lot of cancers.

For all you smokers out there, there is recommendation of low dose CT Lung Scan screening guideline suggestions now too. Most PCPs aren’t aware but it’s been out for several years now. Get screened guys. Don’t ignore your body. Dad ignored his chest pains (and my pleadings to go to the ER) and died of a massive MI at 57.

lightman
11-22-2019, 09:18 AM
My Mom had colon cancer when I was very young so they considered me at risk and had me start doing them much sooner than normal. I really don't find them that bad, you're just tied to the bathroom for 6 or 8 hours. I'm scheduled for my next one next year. I ask them to order the jug of stuff that taste like Gatorade and its not too bad.

MrWolf
11-22-2019, 10:28 AM
I pushed mine of till 51. Ended up having that and a vasectomy within two weeks of each other along with my 51st birthday. They got me coming and going. Luckily I don't need to go back for 10 years. Bad news is that is in two years.

trails4u
11-22-2019, 10:44 AM
My Mom had colon cancer when I was very young so they considered me at risk and had me start doing them much sooner than normal. I really don't find them that bad, you're just tied to the bathroom for 6 or 8 hours. I'm scheduled for my next one next year. I ask them to order the jug of stuff that taste like Gatorade and its not too bad.

The stuff they gave me was called Suprep, I think. It's a split dose...one at 6pm the night before and another in the morning, 5 hrs. before the procedure. I'm not going to lie....it's fast acting and somewhat violent, but it was done and over for me in about 2.5 hrs. for each dose. I was able to sleep throughout the night after the first dose, which was nice.

375supermag
11-22-2019, 12:34 PM
Hi...
Colonoscopy...not my favorite topic.
Had two so far... One in 2016 while in the hospital awaiting my first chemotherapy treatment for Burkitt's- like lymphoma. Second a couple of months ago. Both came up with a couple of non cancerous polyps...next one in 5 years.
I hate the prep but it's a necessity to avoid dying from colon cancer.
Having been declared terminal with other cancers twice and surviving three total bouts with cancer, I have no intention of succumbing to a preventable cancer if I can avoid it.

poppy42
11-22-2019, 12:52 PM
Yeh the thing They don’t tell you about the Colo guard test is that any microscopic traces of blood in your stool will give you a positive result . So if you have hemorrhoids you’re probably going to wind up with a positive result . Ask me how I know.

Ickisrulz
11-22-2019, 01:00 PM
I had my first one a year ago. I didn't find anything that objectionable or hard.

My mother had colon cancer, so I guess I'll be doing it every 5 years or so. The colonoscopy sure beats what she went through.

Winger Ed.
11-22-2019, 01:39 PM
I ask them to order the jug of stuff that taste like Gatorade and its not too bad.

I had it done last year and they encouraged the 'purge' with the instruction sheet from one of the big name famous hospitals-

It's basically Miralax from the grocery store and Gatorade.
Done like they say, it really cleans your pipes,
and doesn't have a flavor that redefines the word 'nasty'.

alamogunr
11-22-2019, 01:42 PM
My wife had to have one a couple of years ago and that was the same stuff she used. Hope my next one is as easy.

Tom W.
11-22-2019, 04:08 PM
Get checked. I had a few when I was about 50, and nothing showed. Then I started having problems a few years after I married Lori. I'd just pass out at work, grateful that some big guys would catch me before my head hit the concrete.

Finally a female German resident doctor told me that something was wrong and she was going to find out.
The doctor that did the colonoscopy said that he found something, but wouldn't say what. When I got back to my room there was a doctor there that I had never seen before. I said hello and asked what was going on, as he had a lab coat that said "oncology" on it. He snapped at me and said he was going to ask the questions. I politely told him to take a hike, as I was paying the bill and was not going to be treated as a child.
They sent me another doctor who was a lot more personable. He also took out most of my colon.
A year later the same guy that gave me my last colonoscopy gave me another. He said that he couldn't see anything on the inside but noticed bumps on the outside, and said that there was nothing more that could be done for me.
My buddy called me and mentioned the Cancer Treatment Centers of America, and there is one in Newnan, about 85 miles away. So I called. They said that if I didn't have lung cancer they could do something, but if I had lung cancer, well, get my affairs in order.
The biopsy showed no lung cancer so they'd prep me and whatever. The prep took about two months, but most of it was here at the house.
The day the president was inaugurated was when my surgery was done.
They took out a bit more large and small intestine, and then that was really it, they couldn't take out anymore.
Other than almost dying from internal bleeding I did pretty well, except when I told the nurse that I felt bad. He said that after what I just went through I should feel bad. I said no, I feel bad, turned my head and puked blood clear across the room and onto the wall. So they had to cauterize my stomach.
A power port was put into my left shoulder, as I insisted because if I lived I'd like to shoot a rifle again.
Then the chemo....We were offered a deal if I would take experimental chemo, the hospital would not charge for it and would pay my BC/ BS payments.
I asked if the chemo would ( hopefully) make me bald, but no such luck.
I'm still kicking, although not as high as I used to. And get tired pretty fast, as well as having a side effect from not having enough innards to digest the food properly. But the only meds I'm taking are something to slow the green apple quick step, and my epelepsy meds.
All the preceding babbling to saw this.....
Let the guy shove the camera up in the nether area. It will give you a whole new meaning of the term UP YOURS !

Winger Ed.
11-22-2019, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE=Tom. He snapped at me and said he was going to ask the questions. I politely told him to take a hike, ![/QUOTE]

I don't do well at being treated like that either.

The wife & I have had to fire a few each of doctors, dentists, and even vets. over the years.

I've learned they are basically mechanics for people.
Like the mechanic that works on your car- if you have problems with one, there's more in the phone book.

kootne
11-22-2019, 05:01 PM
I've had 2, the last one had polyps so now they want to run one every 5 years. That's OK, I made a promise to the best man I ever knew (my Dad) as he was on his deathbed with colon cancer. He told me and my brothers, "promise me one thing boys, that you kids will get colonoscopies. Might save you a lot of bother later on".
Besides, I had a procedure to reduce my prostate last year and that was a LOT more and a Lot longer PAIN. Puts a colonoscopy right in there with a flu shot, bother for a day, and done.
And there are those who would gladly trade their health issues for a prostrate reduction.

Adam_Selene
11-22-2019, 05:07 PM
Get checked. I had a few when I was about 50, and nothing showed. Then I started having problems a few years after I married Lori. I'd just pass out at work, grateful that some big guys would catch me before my head hit the concrete.

Finally a female German resident doctor told me that something was wrong and she was going to find out.
The doctor that did the colonoscopy said that he found something, but wouldn't say what. When I got back to my room there was a doctor there that I had never seen before. I said hello and asked what was going on, as he had a lab coat that said "oncology" on it. He snapped at me and said he was going to ask the questions. I politely told him to take a hike, as I was paying the bill and was not going to be treated as a child.
They sent me another doctor who was a lot more personable. He also took out most of my colon.
A year later the same guy that gave me my last colonoscopy gave me another. He said that he couldn't see anything on the inside but noticed bumps on the outside, and said that there was nothing more that could be done for me.
My buddy called me and mentioned the Cancer Treatment Centers of America, and there is one in Newnan, about 85 miles away. So I called. They said that if I didn't have lung cancer they could do something, but if I had lung cancer, well, get my affairs in order.
The biopsy showed no lung cancer so they'd prep me and whatever. The prep took about two months, but most of it was here at the house.
The day the president was inaugurated was when my surgery was done.
They took out a bit more large and small intestine, and then that was really it, they couldn't take out anymore.
Other than almost dying from internal bleeding I did pretty well, except when I told the nurse that I felt bad. He said that after what I just went through I should feel bad. I said no, I feel bad, turned my head and puked blood clear across the room and onto the wall. So they had to cauterize my stomach.
A power port was put into my left shoulder, as I insisted because if I lived I'd like to shoot a rifle again.
Then the chemo....We were offered a deal if I would take experimental chemo, the hospital would not charge for it and would pay my BC/ BS payments.
I asked if the chemo would ( hopefully) make me bald, but no such luck.
I'm still kicking, although not as high as I used to. And get tired pretty fast, as well as having a side effect from not having enough innards to digest the food properly. But the only meds I'm taking are something to slow the green apple quick step, and my epelepsy meds.
All the preceding babbling to saw this.....
Let the guy shove the camera up in the nether area. It will give you a whole new meaning of the term UP YOURS !

Glad you're still with us, Tom.

Stephen Cohen
11-22-2019, 05:33 PM
I think that Foxworthy's story is one of the best.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jeff+foxworthy+colonoscopy+video&view=detail&mid=D03DD79D9D0C2789934BD03DD79D9D0C2789934B&FORM=VIRE

My lord I near had a clean out watching that, a true comedian. Regards Stephen

popper
11-22-2019, 05:42 PM
Miralax from the grocery store and Gatorade- yup, in a small bottle with 6 glasses of water and some anti- bloat pills - magic - gone. Miralax is basically plastic. Beats the gallon of yucky cherry stuff they used to push. If pollups are benign, once again later then no more.

lefty o
11-22-2019, 05:43 PM
you guys crying , just quit. if your lucky you never get that same camera shoved in the front, yeah same sized camera, and yes its no fun. it is all better than dying of cancer. lots of ways of dying, but long suffering from cancer because of a camera up your butt for a few minutes. choose wisely

Texas by God
11-22-2019, 05:46 PM
Back in the day when they DIDN’T put you under? No thanks, got the tee shirt. No big deal nowadays. Get checked, people!

alamogunr
11-22-2019, 06:39 PM
Back in the day when they DIDN’T put you under? No thanks, got the tee shirt. No big deal nowadays. Get checked, people!

I had a couple that I was conscious. I even got to watch it on the monitor. Can't say it was very entertaining.

DCP
11-22-2019, 08:00 PM
Just a tip, I heard the Dr talk through the whole procedure. So I told him. He said what did I say. So I told him and I watched most of it on the monitor. He didn't say much. But when I am being wheeled in the operating room the Dr is telling the anesthesiologist that I overheard everything he said last time. That best not happen again. Man did they knock me out.

Freightman
11-23-2019, 03:02 PM
To old for that and prostate exam guess they think after 80 you need to die anyhow. I amgoing to fool them going to stick around just to annoy everyone. :brokenima[smilie=s::bigsmyl2:

GOPHER SLAYER
11-23-2019, 03:47 PM
I have had the procedure twice. I think it is rather like giving berth in reverse. I was awake both times. When I was going through prep I told my wife to take the kids and be gone for at least five hours. When I was getting rid of the air I was left in a room alone but the nurse kept knocking on the door and yelling at me to hurry, she needed the room. I have heard cows and horses that were not that loud when they were passing gas. Not fun but very worthwhile.

Elkins45
11-24-2019, 11:35 AM
I had the Miralax prep and it wasn’t bad at all. The instructions I was given said to grease up the area with Vaseline to prevent it from becoming raw, and that really worked. As far as the actual procedure went the most unpleasant part was the IV needle, and that’s nothing. I went to sleep on the exam table and I woke up in the recovery room a few minutes later. It felt like the deepest and best sleep I ever had, so I asked the nurse what they used. She told me it was Propofol, so it turns out Michael Jackson and I have exactly one thing in common.

farmerjim
11-24-2019, 11:55 AM
My 4th is in Jan.

bob208
11-25-2019, 10:20 AM
I had two in one year firs one they found two palps they were not cancer on the outside. they sent me to a different hospital to get them out. they did have cancer in them but a latter cat scan I was clean. as said the prep is the worst. although the wife like making me drink that stuff.

dbosman
11-25-2019, 10:08 PM
Gads, You've started making me reconsider my decision to not have one again.

bob208
11-25-2019, 10:24 PM
well it is better then waking up with a bag because they took out your colon.

buckwheatpaul
11-25-2019, 10:35 PM
Had the great pleasure of my first colonoscopy today. Good news.....pipes are clean and functional. BEST news...I don't have to do that again for awhile. I know I'm preaching to the choir here....but good lord, that's an unpleasant experience!

Just hope ya never have to have a prostate sampling when they take 12 to 15 samples from you prostate via needle collection....it is barbaric.....got one coming up in two weeks.....

trails4u
11-25-2019, 10:39 PM
Just hope ya never have to have a prostate sampling when they take 12 to 15 samples from you prostate via needle collection....it is barbaric.....got one coming up in two weeks.....

Prayers, Paul.... That does NOT sound like a good time.

Winger Ed.
11-25-2019, 10:39 PM
When I was getting rid of the air I was left in a room alone but the nurse kept knocking on the door and yelling at me to hurry, she needed the room..

I didn't, but they finally let me go since it was getting late and they wanted to go home.

I heard the wife telling them, "I don't know what it is..... Usually, even a glass of ice water gives him gas".

William Yanda
11-26-2019, 07:57 AM
I've done it twice, scheduled again five years from the last time. I will be about 74 at that time and even if they found something, my life expectancy would be over 12 years. I am beginning to doubt the value at that age. My experience was not so dramatic-don't remember a thing except going, wearing the gown with no back and waking up a couple hours later.

abunaitoo
11-28-2019, 04:05 AM
First one I had, they put me out.
I guess they had to go into deep space.
Last two I had, I was up, and watching on the monitor.
When the Doc finished, he asked how I was doing.
Reply....................Violated.
Room cracked up.
I think I'm due again this year.
UGGGGGG!!!!!!

rondog
11-28-2019, 04:24 AM
You wanna talk about fun? Look up what TUMT is. I don't recommend it.