PDA

View Full Version : (alleged) Squirrel Hunting

WRideout
11-21-2019, 01:52 PM
I was at State Game Land 203, hunting squirrels during the small game season, and also checking the woods for deer sign. I had not often seen squirrels there, but I knew there were some, so I was hopeful. I did the usual, walk and wait, while listening for the leaves to rustle, or the tell-tale bark of a bushytail. After an hour of walking without any trace of squirrel, I finally saw one climbing head-down on a smallish beech tree. I raised my scoped 22 rifle, but the crosshairs on the scope would not settle due to shaking hands. My breath came fast and my heartbeat sped up. Bang! Miss. I tried once more to get a bead on the creature, but he circled several trees, hit the ground and took off. You would have thought I was looking at a twelve-point Buck.

Later down the trail I ran into another hunter. He was also after small game; "Meat is meat," he said, and he didn't care if it was squirrel or pheasant. He had one squirrel, and was looking for another. I asked him why I had not seen many squirrels here. "The hide in the thick stuff in the bottom," he said. "There were so many squirrels here I thought the Game Commission had planted them instead of pheasant." And with that cheerful news I went on my way. I did see one more squirrel running across the road, but I had pity on him. Also I was sure I could never make the shot.

Wayne

Thumbcocker
11-21-2019, 02:05 PM
Just pretend to be deer hunting. Squirrels will materialize to annoy you.

smoked turkey
11-21-2019, 02:17 PM
Ha. Thumbcocker that is funny. But a lot of truth to that statement. Seems I see deer when I'm turkey hunting, and turkey when I'm deer hunting. Speaking of squirrel hunting, I need to do that as I haven't done it in a few years, and I used to enjoy it. I have to say that cleaning one of the little buggers is a challenge for me.

40-82 hiker
11-21-2019, 02:22 PM
How many times have I had a squirrel or chipmunk start barking at me while deer hunting, as if on a mission to alert every deer in the area that I'm there! At least that is what it seemed like at the time. I thought they might as well have been the noon siren at the fire station!

Still, it was fun to watch the squirrels and chipmunks while deer hunting. Though aggravating, many was the time they put a smile on my face watching their antics. Wish I could have some of those days back... Deer hunting for me was putting the meat on the table. Squirrel hunting was a passion!

osteodoc08
11-21-2019, 03:33 PM

This right here

richhodg66
11-21-2019, 08:20 PM

Truth!

BrassMagnet
11-21-2019, 09:26 PM
They KNOW what is in your wallet!

Bookworm
11-21-2019, 09:42 PM
I remember years ago, I was out hunting with a friend. He was deer hunting, but I had already tagged out.

I had a 410 H&R single shot, and went looking for squirrel. I saw, and shot one squirrel. I saw at least 6 deer, 2 if which were close enough that I probably could have killed them with that 410.

When we met back up that afternoon, I felt certain he had tagged his doe, there were deer everywhere. I asked him how he did, he said he never saw a deer - all the squirrels must have scared them away.
Go figure.

WRideout
11-22-2019, 07:37 AM
I have seen nice deer during every hunting trip unless it was legal deer season.

Wayne

lightman
11-22-2019, 09:27 AM

Ain't that the truth! I got a nice picture of a black squirrel last week just outside of my deer stand. Another day a little grey squirrel jumped up on the window of my stand and stood there looking at me from about 3 ft away. I ofter hear them running around on the roof on my stand. Noisy little buggers! They have eaten a few holes in that same stand.

nagantguy
11-22-2019, 09:54 AM
As a young hunter I had a large fox squirrel barking at me while I was in my tree stand- for a long time- so when he finally climbed down to gather his acorns I arrowed him- and heard a noise to my right and saw a large buck high tailing it out of the oak stand and into the river bottom!

gwpercle
11-22-2019, 10:27 AM
20 gauge helps even the odds when you get older... I know !

Bring your gun and NO ammo...squirrels will be crawling all over you ...they will even laugh .
Gary

fiberoptik
11-22-2019, 12:15 PM
Ha. Thumbcocker that is funny. But a lot of truth to that statement. Seems I see deer when I'm turkey hunting, and turkey when I'm deer hunting. Speaking of squirrel hunting, I need to do that as I haven't done it in a few years, and I used to enjoy it. I have to say that cleaning one of the little buggers is a challenge for me.

Ever hear [emoji101] crunch, crunch, crunch behind you and finally find out they’re eating your pogybait from your coat pockets???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nelsonted1
11-22-2019, 01:43 PM
Had a possum come down a trail toward me while sitting on alog. He got so close I poked him with slug gun muzzle. Of course, I hadn't a camera. A very bleak day without witness.

Thumbcocker
11-22-2019, 07:08 PM
I had a squirrel come down a tree head first once and put his paw on my head. (Full cammo). When I chuckled he almost turned wrong side out and sat on a nearby tree cussing me for 5 minutes after.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

redhawk0
11-22-2019, 07:24 PM
All I can say is.... NEVER talk to a red squirrel when deer hunting. They will tell the entire world you're there for a minimum of 45 minutes....ask me how I know.

BTW....I HATE red squirrels.

redhawk

WRideout
11-22-2019, 09:28 PM
The surest way I know to bring game running is to drop your pants and answer nature's call.

Wayne

rockrat
11-22-2019, 10:55 PM
Was deer hunting once. Sitting on the ground with my legs stretched out. Covey of bobwhite quail came along and jumped up on my leg as they were traveling. Must have though I was a downed tree. Few even stopped to look at me a bit.

robg
11-23-2019, 03:46 PM
Same as cops when you need one there are not about 10 mph over the limit they are right there.