PDA

View Full Version : I talked to an atheist the other day

Boaz
11-21-2019, 11:22 AM
About a month ago A friend died . We had another friend that is a devout atheist . My friend died in the morning and I stayed with the family till the body was taken to the funeral home . I had already called a few out of town letting them know .

The mutual friend of the deceased and myself lived in town and shortly after noon leaving the facility I drove to his house to tell him in person as I prefer to do if possible . He saw me pull up in his drive and came out to my suv . I got out and explained the situation , I told him the arrangements for the service had been made at our friend's church .

He went straight into a rabid tirade with his opening line;

I know how I feel about that ! I'm not going to no church ! When we die we are just a piece of dead meat ! I ain't listening to no sermon !

He was going into a long drawn out speech I had heard too many times . I was leaning against the suv and held up both hands to him looking serious . I said ;

Don't shoot the messenger ! I just came to tell you ! I'm not trying to get you in a church and whether you go to the funeral or not is up to you ! I don't want to hear your excuse not to go . Many would go to show respect to the family if nothing else . That's your decision !

He chewed his tongue a second an calmed down . We talked a bit and I left .

He came to the service . He was nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs . He walked in and just sat down by me . He did not speak unless spoken to . When the service was over he left immediately .

Hickory
11-21-2019, 11:36 AM
It would appear that he has no respect for the feelings of others in their time of grief and it would have been better if he would have stayed away.
Atheist are as dead in their heart as they are in their soul.

Hdskip
11-21-2019, 03:33 PM
Sounds a lot like conviction to me. Man needs prayer.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-21-2019, 04:06 PM
Well...he did attend the service, didn't he...so he must have thought things over, and it's a bit unfair to say that he has no feelings for others. There must be a spark of something there, and only time will tell what may develop.

Markopolo
11-21-2019, 04:46 PM
good for you Charlie!!

MrHarmless
11-21-2019, 05:14 PM
Atheist are as dead in their heart as they are in their soul.

Gross over generalization. This person lacked empathy, or was over reacting to the loss.

That sort of silly, childish, black and white logic will only serve to ostracize you from others.

Hickory
11-21-2019, 09:12 PM
That sort of silly, childish, black and white logic will only serve to ostracize you from others.

I know several atheists, I call it as I see it.

dverna
11-22-2019, 12:04 AM

I know several people that call themselves Christians...but are repulsive excuses for humanity.

trails4u
11-22-2019, 12:15 AM
I guess I'll take a more positive spin..... He showed up. He 'darkened the door' of a church, and he didn't burst into flames nor suffer any terribly ill effects from his seemingly first exposure to the Word of our Lord and Savior.

Maybe it's his first step.... And may we all pray that it is.

Trails.

Dieselhorses
11-22-2019, 12:17 AM
Pride and the enigma of an inscrutable lifestyle is the result of someone either being raised in an Atheist background or prolonging the belief of "not believing" regardless of intuition, conviction or plain "knowing better". Regardless, your friend (as a friend) should of not thought twice about respecting the one who passed.

Papercidal
11-22-2019, 12:18 AM
I’m a atheist and have no respect for churches or sermons but a funeral is about honoring the deceased not about your feelings about their beliefs.

MrHarmless
11-22-2019, 12:23 AM

Then I humbly suggest you check a mirror and start following the words of your lord and savior more closely.

Hickory
11-22-2019, 12:23 AM
I know several people that call themselves Christians...but are repulsive excuses for humanity.

I've known Christians like that too.

rl69
11-22-2019, 08:11 AM
Good job Charlie ... You did well... We should whenever posable talk face to face ... Yep it's harder.. Yep it takes more of our time and effort ... But it's not about us... It's about Gods glory.... People see and respond to effort...just a simple thing like remembering and using a persons name can be huge ...

I see conviction in this man .... Only a man who thinks he may be wrong will fight that hard to be right

Wayne Smith
11-22-2019, 08:36 AM
I would read him as extremely defensive - and when you are defensive you are under attack (conviction). You did not attack, so he is responding to something well beyond you. I agree, prayer is strongly suggested, and lots of love, which may be giving him space to wrestle with the Holy Spirit.

Boaz
11-22-2019, 08:46 AM
Good job Charlie ... You did well... We should whenever posable talk face to face ... Yep it's harder.. Yep it takes more of our time and effort ... But it's not about us... It's about Gods glory.... People see and respond to effort...just a simple thing like remembering and using a persons name can be huge ...

I see conviction in this man .... Only a man who thinks he may be wrong will fight that hard to be right

Ronnie .......you nailed it .

My friend can't deal with it . Even mention of GOD's name puts him on the defensive in any situation . He is struggling against GOD . Seen it too many times .

Boaz
11-22-2019, 08:48 AM
I would read him as extremely defensive - and when you are defensive you are under attack (conviction). You did not attack, so he is responding to something well beyond you. I agree, prayer is strongly suggested, and lots of love, which may be giving him space to wrestle with the Holy Spirit.

I agree Wayne . I pray for him daily , as I said ...he is my friend .

Pine Baron
11-22-2019, 11:09 AM
I don't see this as a non-belief in God, so much as a lack of understanding of a true meaning of God. He seems to be struggling...hard. I will be praying for him. May the Holy Spirit soften his heart. In Jesus name. Amen.

Boaz
11-22-2019, 11:28 AM
I didn't make this post to bash atheists . I posted it to perhaps help us understand them better and possibly ways to help them . I personally have no problem with them unless they are 'preaching' against GOD . GOD gave us choice , this country gives us choice . There are too many 'reasons' someone can end up an atheist to apply a ...'one size fits all' remedy .

In my time here on the forum many non believers have come to the Chapel to show concern or encouragement to ones in need . They generally use something like....I 'hope' your situation gets better , I will be thinking of you .

I have no problem with them coming to try and encourage the best they can and think it's a good thing .

GhostHawk
11-22-2019, 11:42 AM
I think the point here is that we should deal with everyone as Jesus would. With love, and understanding.

Be they aithest, agnostic, or obnoxious Christian.

It is up to US to take the higher standard. Well done brother Boaz!

pworley1
11-22-2019, 02:01 PM
Either now or later, but at some point "every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord". For those who die before they do it, it will be too late when they do.

catmandu
11-22-2019, 08:00 PM
. I posted it to perhaps help us understand them better and possibly ways to help them. .
I think you did the right thing as best you could, can’t ask more than that.
Thinking back to my pre-saved days my thinking and how I processed life around me was always self centered. What I though or how it affected me or what I had experienced. The Spirit has shown me it was God all along working and He does it all. Good and bad. He shows how it’s him working around and through me and He is Able.

Paul in WNY

Boaz
11-22-2019, 08:40 PM
Thank you Paul .

USMC87
11-23-2019, 01:44 PM
I have to agree that being so offensive he is under conviction and is trying anything to escape hearing the word, We are going to hold this man up in prayer for salvation.

Wag
11-23-2019, 01:52 PM
Pretty rare that I post on any online threads about religion any more. Occasionally, though, something comes up that prompts some thoughts that could be useful.

For the most part, my initial thoughts with regard to some of the responses to this thread have been articulated by others already so, at the risk of repeating things above......

I grew up in a cult Christian religion and was raised from the cradle to believe that atheists, all other religions and even other sects of Christianity were either delusionally deceived at best or guided by Satan, at worst. Catholicism was particularly badly lambasted! The cult was rife with racism and other forms of bigotry and ultimately, all of these things were among the many catalysts to finally convincing me that it was a sham. Twenty years ago, I booted that cult to the curb.

It's pretty clear, though, that in spite of the problems of the organization, the majority of the people in that cult were wonderful people. A small few were scumbags. It's true of all churches and religions, including atheism. There are good and bad. The majority are good. It's impossible to say otherwise. If you look at any group within society, there are problems but they are an exception.

As far as Christianity goes, living as a Christian means you're not going to prejudge others and what they are thinking. That is, unless you've somehow come up with the ability to read minds. Which you haven't. Stereotypes are inappropriate in any case. There is no way to truly understand "them" whether "they" are atheists or Christians or Asians or....Whoever. We can only judge an individual by his words and actions. Some individuals deserve to be judged harshly but until you've walked a mile in their moccasins, you can't know.

When I first booted religion to the curb, I was hugely angry that I'd wasted so much of my life trying to believe. It took a while to get past that anger. I hope I didn't overly offend too many people but one of the things that happened was that eight of my nine younger siblings have ostracized me, spread false rumors around the extended family about me and generally behaved in a very un-Christian manner. It's pretty clear that the concept of unconditional love is not something they understand.

I've learned that I don't hate them, though. And learned that I don't hate anyone, really. I've learned how to despise people's actions and words but the people themselves? No. We live and choose how we are going to act, choose our beliefs, choose how we are going to treat others. For myself, I'll help anyone if it's within my power to do so.

My late wife, the beautiful soul that she was, also booted the religion to the curb but she remained agnostic and believed in an afterlife. Personally, I don't believe in an afterlife but the effect of that on me is that it means I have this one chance, this one life to make the best life I can. That means taking care of others, taking care of myself, and living like I'm NOT the only one around.

In other words, my core belief is that we take care of each other. I believe most people feel the same way. While the exceptions are rare, they do exist and I find that sad, for them and the people in their lives.

When my wife passed, it devastated me. When someone claims that atheists have no heart or that their heart and soul are dead are absolutely incorrect. To believe that is counter to the teachings of the New Testament. I suggest a more correct study. Nevertheless, it's certainly your choice to believe such a thing.

Keep the peace, my friends. Keep your compassion alive, if nothing else.

--Wag--

Thundarstick
11-25-2019, 07:49 PM
WAG, I'm deeply sorry you where involved in such a devastating Christian experience. I experienced much the same, but have been able to move through it, because I'm convinced God is alive and real, and he sent his Son. It's still up to me to find and follow the way, I hope you are found and find, in spite of the pain you endured. Many of the things you say are true, because unfortunately Christians are people, and we are flawed.

lefty o
11-25-2019, 08:29 PM
always amazed to see how others can tear down a man because he doesnt believe the same as them.

wv109323
11-25-2019, 10:09 PM
The deceased has the right to arrange his services, how and where he wants.
I don't understand why an atheist expends so much energy trying to tell others that something does not exist. If a Zuddor automobile does not exist( which it does not) why would I make a big issue to someone who believes it does.
It is a process to get to the point that that you believe there is no God and it is a process to get back. I will prsy for your friend.

buckwheatpaul
11-25-2019, 10:38 PM
All ya can do is plant seeds.....God will provide the rain......good job Charlie!

WRideout
11-25-2019, 10:49 PM
Anyone who shows that much emotion over discussing God, actually does believe in God at some level. The opposite of love is not hate, but indifference. For a time, I considered myself a humanistic agnostic, who believed that people were inherently good. A tour in the US army quickly dispelled that idea.

Wayne

a danl
11-26-2019, 08:41 PM
i believe darwin became a believer the moment after he died

fast ronnie
11-26-2019, 09:20 PM

Don, I have read many of your posts, and being a devout Christian, I have to say that in many instances you are absolutely correct. None of us are perfect, and some of the staunchest believers have many things wrong in their life. King David was a very good example of this. He committed adultery with one of his leaders wives, then when found out she was pregnant, tried to cover it up. When that didn't work, he had her husband killed. As poor as his parenting skills were, the Bible still called him "A man after God's own heart". We are not perfect and fall very short of reaching that, but it is our goal to be more Christlike. Yes, many of us fail miserably at times. Does that mean that I do not love God? It also does not mean that I do not try to love others as Christ loved me but I still live in this world. One day I shall be perfect, but for now, I'm still learning and trying.

Char-Gar
11-27-2019, 01:44 PM
Faithful people do not understand faithless people. The faithless can be discribed, but not understood. Neither can the faithless understand the faithful. The faithless feel duty bound to attack the faithful and there is no reason for the faithful to return attack with attack.

When I meet a faithless person, I shake their hand, wish them well and on down the road. Filling my head with their faithlessness serves no good purpose.