PDA

View Full Version : My (new-old) S&W Model 10-5

Dieselhorses
11-14-2019, 12:39 AM
Just acquired this revolver from a friend. Starting to "up" my collection of Smith's. For some reason my friend has 3 of the same brand, model and caliber and probably has over 75 of each. He decided to let this one go and couldn't pass up for 2 Benjamins, 1 Jackson and a Lincoln. One pic with Hogue grips and one with original.

Don't know a lot about these except this one was manufactured sometime in early 60's (according to a chart I found on here). Pinned, tapered barrel and chambers not recessed. Haven't shot yet but heard they liked 150ish grain bullets.

tazman
11-14-2019, 01:17 AM
Very nice and well worth the money. I am looking for one like that myself.
You are correct about the boolit weight. The model 10 is usually calibrated for 158 grain projectiles.

pettypace
11-14-2019, 07:00 AM
Just acquired this revolver from a friend.

He saw you coming.

According to my Gun Digest you could have bought that gun brand new for just 4 Jacksons and 4 Washingtons in 1972. Now that it's old and worn out...

Wish I lived in Louisiana -- probably be warmer and I might be able to help you bail out of the that boat anchor.

Petrol & Powder
11-14-2019, 07:34 AM
You did VERY well.

And just for fun I entered $84 into an inflation calculator and used 1972 as the date. That $84 dollars would buy $517 today.

The 4" S&W model 10 may be one of the best "All Around" handguns ever made. They are fantastic guns !!!

I used a Model 10-5 as the basis for a "Kit Gun" and had it finished with NP3.
I also picked up a 10-7 a few years back and that is an awesome revolver.

I don't know how many 38 Special K-frames I've owned over the years but there have been a bunch. I no longer allow them to leave and they are all permanent additions to the fleet when I acquire them these days.

The fixed sights on those 4" K-frames are regulated for 158 grain bullets. A good 150-160 grain bullet and a standard pressure load will put a smile on your face with every pull of the trigger.

txbirdman
11-14-2019, 09:05 AM
I bought a 10-6 heavy barrel for my dad in November of 1970. The price was $79.95. I have that revolver in my safe today. It’s a marvelous example of simplicity and elegance.

Green Frog
11-14-2019, 09:39 AM
If you only had one S&W revolver, you could do a lot worse than to choose a Model 10-5. I have a bunch of guns to choose from, but when my brother who is not a gun person expressed the need for a house gun I gave him a 10-5 with 2” barrel and a nicely slicked up action. I feel like he and his wife are well equipped and defended.

The price you paid (with both sets of grips, right?) would definitely qualify as a “friends and family” price around here. I would be pleased with it. BTW, if the wooden grips are original to that gun it is likely the serial number will be stamped inside the right grip panel (only.)

Froggie

PS AFAIK, no Model 10 came with recessed chambers, since that feature was reserved for magnum and rim fire models.

Guesser
11-14-2019, 09:56 AM
The only Model 10 that came with recessed chambers was a short run of 1200, 10-6 that were specially chambered in 357 Magnum for the New York State Police. I own one of them. Marked 10-6 and 357 Magnum on the barrel. After the run was completed S&W introduced their new model 13 and no more 10-6's in 357 Magnum.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-14-2019, 11:17 AM
Great purchase. Very fine revolver, at one time just about standard for most police agencies. Here's one I purchased new in the middle '60s, still NIB. The original price tag says $71.50. The most recent one I added to my accumulation earlier this year in almost the same condition cracked $400.

Dieselhorses
11-14-2019, 12:58 PM
Hey guys, thank you for all the info! Keep it coming if you have something else to share. There is always more than meets the eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

murf205
11-14-2019, 01:46 PM
You have done well in your purchase Dieselhorses. The mod 10 S&W is one of those guns that don't get a lot of love UNTIL people shoot one. They work every time and shoot where you point them.251244 Here is mine. I have another but this one is unfired, according to the friend I bought it from, but the cylinder has been turned. It is a 1967 gun and the serial # is on the inside of the grip panel.
What ever you do, don't let those factory grips get away!

EMC45
11-14-2019, 02:23 PM
I love the Model 10. They will shoot 148-158gr bullets very well with boring regularity.

kmw1954
11-14-2019, 02:38 PM
Very nice, I myself just inherited a Model 64 from my brother that is beginning to suffer from Alzheimer's. As with you I will cherish this one.

Petander
11-14-2019, 05:48 PM
Very nice! I've never handled a 10.

These older S&W's sure are addictive. I was looking at one today,called the shop about it on my way home. "Oh,that's actually your old one,it's back here for a second time with different grips..."

I bought that 66 in -94 and sold it in 2010 about.b

Dieselhorses
11-14-2019, 06:15 PM
If you only had one S&W revolver, you could do a lot worse than to choose a Model 10-5. I have a bunch of guns to choose from, but when my brother who is not a gun person expressed the need for a house gun I gave him a 10-5 with 2” barrel and a nicely slicked up action. I feel like he and his wife are well equipped and defended.

The price you paid (with both sets of grips, right?) would definitely qualify as a “friends and family” price around here. I would be pleased with it. BTW, if the wooden grips are original to that gun it is likely the serial number will be stamped inside the right grip panel (only.)

Froggie

PS AFAIK, no Model 10 came with recessed chambers, since that feature was reserved for magnum and rim fire models.

Sure enough, the SN IS stamped on inside of right grip except without the letter "C" at beginning. There is also another number stamped in grip frame (on left side) "81699". What dat be? Also has stamped under Made In USA>>>"Marcas Registradas" which I think is Latin for Registered Trademark. Hope I don't have a counterfeit.

Petrol & Powder
11-14-2019, 06:48 PM
Marcas Registradas is Latin for Registered mark (or marks). S&W got tried of all of the fakes circulating in South America and added that marking. South America accounted for huge numbers of their sales in the early 1900's and the name was well respected in those countries.
That's a real Smith and Wesson.

I can't help you with the number on the grip frame. Maybe an assembly number? not sure.

Green Frog
11-14-2019, 07:03 PM
Sure enough, the SN IS stamped on inside of right grip except without the letter "C" at beginning. There is also another number stamped in grip frame (on left side) "81699". What dat be? Also has stamped under Made In USA>>>"Marcas Registradas" which I think is Latin for Registered Trademark. Hope I don't have a counterfeit.

The lack of the C in the serial number inside the grip panel is correct. Frequently the number will be stamped with the first 3 digits in line over the last three, but this is variable.

As for the second number, "81699" which will be visible at several places, it is a fitting number meant to keep the major parts of the gun-in-progress together until the final assembly. Once the serial number is applied and it leaves the factory, that number becomes redundant.

Marcas Registradas is Spanish for Registered Trademark and is found on all S&Ws made over a period of several decades... its legit... don't worry about it.

Regards,
Froggie

Petrol & Powder
11-14-2019, 07:20 PM
Technically ......Marcas Registradas is Latin
Spanish is a Latin based so; close enough.

Dieselhorses
11-14-2019, 09:59 PM
Thanks fellows! Gonna try it out this weekend.

Texas by God
11-15-2019, 01:04 AM
I had a 5" M&P m10 once. It cost me $75 from a coworker. That length must be scarce because I haven't seen another. 4" police trade ins were $125 20 yrs ago......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

walnut1704
11-15-2019, 12:03 PM
Pretty sure "Marcas Registradas" is Spanish, not Latin. They were having problems with Spanish and South American fakes so it makes sense they'd do it in Spanish...not Latin.

For the record I always thought it was Latin until somebody that actually knew both languages corrected me. She pointed out some grammatical reason why that was very linguistically technical that I can't recall the full details of, had something to do with the use of "-as".

Petrol & Powder
11-15-2019, 03:05 PM
Spanish for registered would be "Registrado"

Latin is Registradas. Spanish is a Romance (Latin Based) language.

murf205
11-15-2019, 08:06 PM
The best thing about those K frame Smith&Wesson's is the "shootability" especially in 38 Special. A pencil barrel shoots as well as a heavy barrel and just about anybody can handle the recoil. Naturally the HB guns are easier to control but the slim barrel guns are just as accurate. The best thing S&W ever did was bring out the 586 and 686's. They digest full house 357's a lot easier than K frame guns although the 19's and 66's are a lot more comfortable to tote.

Mr_Sheesh
11-16-2019, 04:15 AM
M10's are a delight to plink with, enjoy!

Green Frog
11-16-2019, 09:08 AM
Spanish for registered would be "Registrado"

Latin is Registradas. Spanish is a Romance (Latin Based) language.

Not to put too fine a grammatical point on it Petrol & Powder, but in Spanish it is customary for the adjective to match the noun in both gender and plural basis. Therefore the word “Marcas” which ends in an “A” and an “S” would demand agreement with “Registradas.” I have to admit my Spanish is fifty years rusty, but La Senorita Upshur would never forgive me if I wrote “Marcas Registrado.” ;)

La Rana Verde

Petrol & Powder
11-16-2019, 09:23 AM
Not to put too fine a grammatical point on it Petrol & Powder, but in Spanish it is customary for the adjective to match the noun in both gender and plural basis. Therefore the word “Marcas” which ends in an “A” and an “S” would demand agreement with “Registradas.” I have to admit my Spanish is fifty years rusty, but La Senorita Upshur would never forgive me if I wrote “Marcas Registrado.” ;)

La Rana Verde

I'll accept that as fact and explain that my interpretation came from a S&W rep about 30 years ago. He explained that S&W chose to use Latin over Spanish because it was more universally accepted across different countries. Brazilians speak Portuguese, Peruvians speak Spanish, Argentinians speak a little bit of every European language......
Now, he may have just been making that all up, I really can't say.

If the Spanish is grammatically correct, then I will say that I'm wrong and that marking on S&W revolvers is Spanish and not Latin.

ShooterAZ
11-16-2019, 09:42 AM
It's in Spanish, the reason S&W did it was to counter the numerous copies being produced in Spain (google Eibar revolvers as an example).