PDA

View Full Version : Question on TL Lubing

jdgabbard
11-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Alright, I am getting ready for my first attempts at casting. And I am currently looking at lube options. I was considering using a home brew lube. And have been looking at the option of pan lubing.

My questions are: Has anyone experimented with pan lubing the Tumble Lube variety? If so, did it hold well? Was the end result as good as the Lee Liquid Alox? And finally, since I will be sizing with a Lee Size Kit should I lube before I size them, or wait until after I size them.

Thanks 'a bunch.

docone31
11-07-2008, 11:56 PM
I have not lubed the tumble lube castings, however, I know it is so much simpler to lube them first and then size with the Lee Push Thru Sizing Kits.
First, not lubing and useing these kits, you can lead the die. I have had it happen. Lubing makes it so simple. In addition, the sizing dies compress the lube in the lube groove. Excess lube is wiped off entering the die. I use this lube to dab onto any missing lube on the castings to be sized.
I have no experience with tumble lube grooves, however, if the casting is warm enough and the pan lube is able to really enter the lube groove, I do not see why it could not be used that way.
If it were me though, I would go with conventional pan lubing. A mold for that is not that expensive.
I have had such great luck with conventional lubing, in my 38spl, .357, 9mm, and .45ACP.
I went to paper patching for my .303 British, and .308s. I now do not lube them, just paper. The JPW prior to sizing seems to be enough.
With pan lubing, it is efficient to have the castings as warm as the lube, then cool down. If that is adhered to, I do not see why, with proper alloy, and good pan lubing, it could not be done with the tumble lube castings.
If you haven't gotten the mold yet, I would go with conventional lubing. If you have the tumble lube style, try it. Who knows. Let us know, we will all learn.

jdgabbard
11-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Yeah, I already have the mold. Though I am going to be buying another mold shortly. Looking at a RNFP. This is for the .38/.357 mag.

Something else I just thought about, do you guys suggest cutting them out of the cake with a fired case? Or just popping them out from the bottom side?

docone31
11-08-2008, 12:31 AM
Just pop em out.

DanWalker
11-08-2008, 01:30 AM
You might first try shooting some as cast and unsized, provided they will chamber.
I've been using Liquid alox as a lube for around 7 years now, and just last year switched to a 50/50 mix of johnsons paste wax and liquid alox. I've had GREAT results with this lube at velocities up to 2000fps.
I thin my alox with mineral spirits to about 1/2 it's original viscosity.
My method for lubing ALL types of cast boolits(not just TL styles) is as follows:
I preheat my boolits in the over at 200 degrees for 15 minutes in a metal coffee can.
I then take out the can of boolits and add equal amounts of my thinned liquid alox and johnsons paste wax. I swirl the boolits around until they're all coated with this lube mix, then I pour them out onto a paper plate and let them cool. The latent heat in the boolits actually speeds the drying process and the boolits are dry and ready to load in about 30-45 minutes.
I actually sold my lubrisizer after discovering this method.

copdills
11-08-2008, 06:20 AM
Great information , Thanks Dan

jdjabbard sounds like DanWalker has it down pat I like the TL method and have used it for about 6 months now , but I am going to try to heat the boolits in the oven method that dan has described , sounds like the way to go thus far I have has great accuracy with TL boolits in 38 spl,357 mag,44 mag,45acp all I load is handgun boolits

Good Luck copdills

DLCTEX
11-08-2008, 07:35 AM
If you pan lube the TL boolits I think you will have to cut them out as the lube grooves are shallow and rounded, which will make it problematic for pushing them out and retaining any lube. DALE

Cloudpeak
11-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Instead of lubing with LLA first and then sizing, I'd recommend that you spray a light shot of Hornady One Shot case lube over the bullets (in a Cool Whip container, for instance), tumble them a bit and then size using the Lee push through. Then, lube with LLA. Much less messy, cheaper (aren't using LLA twice) and doesn't "gunk" things up.

Cloudpeak

TAWILDCATT
11-09-2008, 01:13 PM
the simplist way is put bullets in plastic container( ice cream bucket) squit some lube on and shake to cover,place on wax paper( I use alum foil) and leave over night to harden.then load,dont wipe them.size if you have to.:coffee:[smilie=1::Fire:

jdgabbard
11-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Wow. Somehow this went from advice on pan lubing to advice to tumble lube. I will keep the cookie cutter thought on the stove in case they don't take the lube well when poping them out.

As to the advice to tumble lube. I'll look back at it in the case that the pan lubing doesn't "pan" out. (pun intended). Thanks guys. I'll let you all know what kind of results I get with pan lubing.