PDA

View Full Version : Rim ease

salvadore
11-12-2019, 12:51 PM
Can anyone tell me which .22 ammo is easiest to ignite?

Der Gebirgsjager
11-12-2019, 02:25 PM
I'll be watching this thread with interest! :shock: I'd almost bet that there has never been a comprehensive study done on this, as a rim fire either fires when the rim is crushed -- or it doesn't. To determine the information you seek one would have to attempt to crush the rims with strikes of incrementally increasing pressure until the cartridge fired. Considering how many different brands of .22 ammo is out there, the study would be a monumental endeavor. I feel certain that there is a minimum amount of pressure set by the industry, as firing with an extremely light strike would be a great hazard.

NyFirefighter357
11-12-2019, 11:14 PM
https://www.coxmanufacturing.com/assets/images/blog/Industrial-HT-February-2017-Cox.pdf

uscra112
11-13-2019, 12:07 AM
By far the easiest in my book is(was) the copper cased .22 that we had before WW2. The most difficult are these new .17 Magnum rounds, which have thicker brass in the rims than your typical .22, due to higher pressures.

There are some "boys' rifles" of the 1900 - 1930 era that have light hammers and (by present standards) weak springs. This is because it didn't take the hammer of Thor to ignite that old copper cased ammo.