PDA

View Full Version : Rear sight on a Rossi.

Froogal
11-11-2019, 11:03 AM
We have 2 Rossi's. Both R92. One is a .357, the other is .45 Colt. Both have issues with the ramp for the rear sight not staying in place. Apparently the recoil is causing the ramp to move forward, which then lowers the rear sight. Other than gluing the ramp to the barrel, what other remedies might there be? We use these rifles for cowboy action shooting. The loads are very mild. 5.5 grains of Unique under a 158 grain bullet for the .357, and 8.5 grains of Unique under a 200 grain bullet for the .45.

onelight
11-11-2019, 01:40 PM
We have 2 Rossi's. Both R92. One is a .357, the other is .45 Colt. Both have issues with the ramp for the rear sight not staying in place. Apparently the recoil is causing the ramp to move forward, which then lowers the rear sight. Other than gluing the ramp to the barrel, what other remedies might there be? We use these rifles for cowboy action shooting. The loads are very mild. 5.5 grains of Unique under a 158 grain bullet for the .357, and 8.5 grains of Unique under a 200 grain bullet for the .45.
Is it possible the sights have been bent away from the barrel reducing the pressure on the elevator ramp , if not Could you file the ramp a little to give it a better grip.

Froogal
11-11-2019, 02:03 PM
I removed the ramp on the .357 and found it was NOT flat where it meets the barrel, so I flattened it on a sharpening stone. THAT did not help. I am very careful when adjusting the sights. I never lift it up any more than is necessary.

pietro
11-11-2019, 02:11 PM

My money's on the rear sight longleaf losing it's spring tension a bit - I would try to take up the slack with a shim of the appropriate thicken under the elevator.

Another thing to try would be to tighten the grip between the elevator and the slot it rides in on the longleaf.(A thicker elevator ? )

Froogal
11-11-2019, 02:23 PM
We've been shooting these rifles for maybe 2 years. Bought both of them brand new. The rear sight issues were there right from the start.

MT Gianni
11-11-2019, 03:05 PM
First things I removed on mine. One wears a scope the other a receiver sight.

Walks
11-11-2019, 03:25 PM
I replaced the cheesy sights that came on my Rossi 1892 Rifle with Williams Buckhorns and a 3/32" brass bead.
The carbine I'd previously dumped had the same problem you are dealing with.

nvbirdman
11-11-2019, 04:38 PM
Go to the next higher setting on the elevator and start filing that notch deeper until the gun is sighted in. The new deeper notch should hold the elevator in place.

Froogal
11-11-2019, 04:45 PM
Go to the next higher setting on the elevator and start filing that notch deeper until the gun is sighted in. The new deeper notch should hold the elevator in place.

Seems a bit drastic, but it might just work. I LIKE the idea.

Froogal
11-11-2019, 04:46 PM
I replaced the cheesy sights that came on my Rossi 1892 Rifle with Williams Buckhorns and a 3/32" brass bead.
The carbine I'd previously dumped had the same problem you are dealing with.

Williams buckhorns? Where did you find them?

onelight
11-11-2019, 08:33 PM
I have a rear sight from Steve's on my Rossi 92 I wanted a folding rear. The elevators seem to be a better design.
https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_16

Ed in North Texas
11-11-2019, 10:25 PM
I put on Steve's receiver rear which replaces the bolt lock. Put a green Fiber Optic front on too. Grandson shot it this summer. Shot it and the Marlin, both in .45 colt and told me the R92 is his when I kick the bucket. I was going to see about one like it for Christmas, but the Octagon rifle model is discontinued.

nvbirdman
11-12-2019, 01:07 AM
Have you tried reversing the elevator? If recoil now is causing it to go to a lower notch, reversing it would cause it to try to go to a higher notch and it may not be able to do that.
Another thought about my earlier post about deepening the next higher notch, maybe steepen the sides of the correct notch to make it U shaped instead of V shaped.

Walks
11-12-2019, 02:21 AM
I think it was Brownells.

But It's been 20yrs since I bought one. So they may have been Marbles.

rondog
11-12-2019, 02:28 AM
I just file the steps on my elevators enough to slope them the other way a tad. Ain't gonna change the aiming enough to hurt anything. The stock elevators are just stamped steel, and the steps slope downhill a bit. Make 'em slope the other way.

Walks
11-12-2019, 03:30 AM
I think it was Brownells.

But It's been 20yrs since I bought one. So they may have been Marbles.

Yep, I went out to Look. Foreign Lever guns have Marbles.

Old Winchesters have old Williams, BBL & FP-Peep.

phonejack
11-12-2019, 07:06 AM
Previous post of reversing the elevator makes sence

Froogal
11-12-2019, 09:31 AM
Have you tried reversing the elevator? If recoil now is causing it to go to a lower notch, reversing it would cause it to try to go to a higher notch and it may not be able to do that.
Another thought about my earlier post about deepening the next higher notch, maybe steepen the sides of the correct notch to make it U shaped instead of V shaped.

Thanks! I will try that.

Montana Slim
11-12-2019, 03:22 PM
As others mention, the rear sight doesn't have enough "spring" to it. I would remove the rear sights and give them a bit more downward bend, then reinstall.

Froogal
11-12-2019, 04:00 PM
As others mention, the rear sight doesn't have enough "spring" to it. I would remove the rear sights and give them a bit more downward bend, then reinstall.

I wonder if I can do that without removing the rear sight? Just remove the ramp, place something under the spring, and then push down on it?

superior
11-25-2019, 03:21 PM
251866251867251868The rear sight on my 45Colt 20” was fine, however I decided to improve it with a peep from Andy Larson @ Skinner Sights from Montana. It works with the standard front sight ta boot!

cwlongshot
11-25-2019, 03:31 PM
Mine flat suks!!!

Stamped steel. I swapped in a Marvels rear and a Lyman ivory beade front.

I had to fit it as the dovetail was not properly cut or sized. But I got it!!

I really like the rifle it smooth up even more then the PO had gotten it!

VERY VERY happy with my Blue Dot/454424 load! Also shoots the LEE RD 300 well! ZERO FEEDING issues with longer bullets that my Marlins REFUSE to cycle.

CW

Texas by God
11-25-2019, 04:13 PM
I installed a vintage wheel elevation Dockendorff on one of mine and it was perfect for my eyesight. It was on the gun when I sold it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

brewer12345
11-26-2019, 12:20 AM
I bought mine used and it came with what I believe is a Marbles tang mounted peep, which is really nice. The trouble was that I could not really see the front bead well enough. Bought a fiber optic front sight and a steel follower from stevesgunz and now it works really well. I dialed in my best 38 cast load for 25 yards with the peep for squirrel hunting and it is more than accurate enough for that.

onelight
11-26-2019, 12:35 AM
I bought mine used and it came with what I believe is a Marbles tang mounted peep, which is really nice. The trouble was that I could not really see the front bead well enough. Bought a fiber optic front sight and a steel follower from stevesgunz and now it works really well. I dialed in my best 38 cast load for 25 yards with the peep for squirrel hunting and it is more than accurate enough for that.
I have the Marbles on mine to it will easily shoot 5 shot clover leaf groups at 25yards with 130 rnfp and a light load of Red Dot in 38 spec. Cases a lot of fun to shoot.

brewer12345
11-26-2019, 02:04 AM
I have the Marbles on mine to it will easily shoot 5 shot clover leaf groups at 25yards with 130 rnfp and a light load of Red Dot in 38 spec. Cases a lot of fun to shoot.

Yeah, I am using a 133 grain RNFP with 4.4 grains of HP38. Tight little groups at 25 yards and essentially no recoil.

grantharris1945
12-06-2019, 12:28 AM
How would you compare these to a 94?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

superior
12-07-2019, 09:31 PM
How would you compare these to a 94?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Compare? Both nice actions. How they differ? The 92 was produced is an answer to Winchesters request for your pistol caliber rifle. It was a scaled down version of the Winchester 1886. The 86 was produced for the purpose of making a lever rifle that could handle large powerful cartridges like the 45-70. Scaling the design down to the 92 resulted in an action even stronger than the 86. It’s two locking lugs give it superior strength to the 94 and with big bore hot pistol loads like 45Colt, 44mag, and such, these rifles are excellent companions to Blackhawks. The 94 was designed for longer cartridges . The Rossi M 92 is available 454 Casull. That should give you an idea as to how durable the action design is.