PDA

View Full Version : 1892 Winchester

DDJ
11-08-2019, 04:24 PM
I just purchased a 1892 Winchester manufactured in 1911. I have 2 Rossi 92's and have both of those a part a couple of times so I'm used to working on them. I haven't had my new gun apart yet but I'm sure the main spring is a leaf spring. My question is-Is there a way to lighten this spring or are there lighter springs available? Right now the action is pretty stiff-the rifle needs a thorough cleaning-and I can take care of the other issues so my question still is about the main spring. BTW_Rossi owners-myself included-have complained about how far their gun ejected the brass. I can see now that's not just an Rossi issue. My new gun ejects loaded 25 20 rounds at least 10-15 feet.

LawrenceA
11-08-2019, 04:45 PM
You can lighten the mainspring by removing metal, basically making it thinner but you have to be deadly careful of of not creating tin spots and keeping the scratches length wise. Not something I would do if you are new to it. Not sure if there are after market ones. I suppose if I was going to try I would get a spare or 2 and work from there. Same with the ejector spring get a spare before you start altering anything.

DDJ
11-08-2019, 06:21 PM
You can lighten the mainspring by removing metal, basically making it thinner but you have to be deadly careful of of not creating tin spots and keeping the scratches length wise. Not something I would do if you are new to it. Not sure if there are after market ones. I suppose if I was going to try I would get a spare or 2 and work from there. Same with the ejector spring get a spare before you start altering anything.

Thanks for the reply. I do have ejector springs. I may not do anything to the main spring. Once I get the gun apart and totally cleaned and any burs taken care and some smoothing done it might be just fine. Since my first post I've taken this gun out and shot it and it shoots just beautifully. I live in Minnesota and its winter so I have time to work on it. So far I'm really liking this gun

indian joe
11-08-2019, 06:47 PM
DONT GRIND THE MAINPRING!!! there should be a tension (strain screw)screw (lil grub screw) partway along that adds tension to the main - back that off till its level with the flat of the tang surface internally - if thats not enough just back off the hold down screw a little - adjusting tension on an original 92 is dead simple.

LawrenceA
11-08-2019, 06:58 PM
Thanks Indian Joe.
Should have had a look before opening my mouth.

Bazoo
11-08-2019, 07:21 PM
Neat, I'd like to see the old girl.

I'd think a gun that was made in 1911 wouldn't have any burrs left.

Ruts
11-09-2019, 01:33 AM
My 92 flings my brass way too hard also, it’s hard to control it if you want to find it, it hit me in the teeth, on my glasses, very annoying, I wish I had a weaker ejector spring. I have also a 44 40 in Winchester 94, the empties fall out nice, I like it.

rondog
11-09-2019, 08:29 AM
I don't know if the Winchester 92 uses different ejector springs than the Rossi 92's, but I put these springs in my Rossi 92's. They're quite cheap on eBay for a 6-pack, and tames the brass-flinging a lot. Relieves a lot of stress on the ejector too. But I don't know how similar the Rossi's and Winchesters reall are.

DDJ
11-09-2019, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all the replies and especially to Indian Joe for his info on the main spring. The rifle is coming completely apart today for a very complete cleaning. This gun altho in seemingly great mechanical shape has been molested before I received it. The butt stock has been replaced with an original and refinished. After inspection I can see evidence that the forearm has been refinished also probably prior to the refinish on the butt stock. The finishes don't quite match si I'm going to refinish the wood and leave the metal a lone. Rondog-I recognize you from the Rossi forum. Since I have to form my 25 20 brass from 32 20 brass finding all of my spent cases will be important. I think that this gun will be shot a lot.