PDA

View Full Version : Is this a reason to buy a S&W Mod 14?

Petander
11-08-2019, 04:02 PM
I was in my good old trusty gun shop today and found a bullet in my pocket while we were having coffee.

It was one of my chamber throat check slugs, a .3583 that pushes through my silhouette 586's chambers with little finger force. That gun is working nice with .358 cast.

We were talking,I found the slug and they brought some 38 Special revolvers on the table. Someone was coming to take a look at the guns. I got this brilliant idea of slugging their throats...

A Mod 15 was too tight for my slug, a better looking Mod 14-3 on the other hand felt almost perfect,I figure it has ~3585 throats. Easy push through. The gun is fine,even tight.

That 14 could most probably shoot my .358 boolits. It is not expensive,revolvers don't sell in this corner of the World right now. But I like older S&W's very much. I have no 38 but I have brass.

No real need but a potentially good cast shooter...,a nice,mild practise gun...

Do I have a reason?

https://i.postimg.cc/NGmkLm1x/IMG-20191108-141132.jpg

Thumbcocker
11-08-2019, 04:03 PM
Do you have one? If no you need one. If yes you need a spare.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

osteodoc08
11-08-2019, 04:13 PM
That’s a gorgeous example. What a great shooter it would be

Wheelguns 1961
11-08-2019, 04:22 PM
They want a fortune for them over here. I have been looking for several months without finding a decent deal. I say go for it. What -# is it?

TNsailorman
11-08-2019, 04:24 PM
A good revolver is always a treat. And if you only have one, that itself is enough to buy it. You can't have too many revolvers. james

Petander
11-08-2019, 05:32 PM
What -# is it?

3K47xxx Mod 14-3.

Can you find date/info? I forgot to ask in the shop,they often can track past sales.

I don"t know what is happening but I enjoy shooting revolvers and casting from them so much these days...

Thumbcocker
11-08-2019, 05:35 PM
3K47xxx Mod 14-3.

Can you find date/info? I forgot to ask in the shop,they often can track past sales.

I don"t know what is happening but I enjoy shooting revolvers and casting from them so much these days...It is called an awakening. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

35remington
11-08-2019, 05:35 PM
Buy buy buy buy buy if any reasonable price and it passes inspection for any issues.

But I just love those things and I am biased. What a great outdoorsmans pistol that would be.

Texas by God
11-08-2019, 06:21 PM
Have you bought it yet? They shoot SO GOOD. K38 is a legend in revolvers.

Preacher Jim
11-08-2019, 06:32 PM
Buy it before I find it.

Sam Casey
11-08-2019, 06:36 PM
I would want one with target trigger and hammer.

Wheelguns 1961
11-08-2019, 06:39 PM
I think that dates to 1971.

roysha
11-08-2019, 06:42 PM
I have seen some really dumb questions posted here on CastBoolits, in fact I have posted quite a few myself, but I believe this may be the winner!!!:-) One need NEVER ask if they should buy a good old S&W like that, just buy it.

DuaneH
11-08-2019, 06:43 PM
3K47xxx would be 1972. If you don't already have a K38, you can't possibly realize how badly you need one. There are 5 that live here, and I need a few more.
Make them an offer for the M14 and the M15. It will save going back to buy the Combat Masterpiece later.

JimB..
11-08-2019, 07:04 PM
As if not having one isn’t reason enough.

Drm50
11-08-2019, 07:05 PM
I've got three M14 S&Ws P&Rs, one NIB. Both the ones I shoot are tuned for 148gr WCs at 825fps. I've had several others too and they are the Cadillac of 38sp revolvers. No one mentioned price. They are a bit of a sleeper around here too. Hi condition k38s can be had $600-$700. Nice shooters start at $500. There are some 4" K38s that will go higher because of collector value. I also have the forerunner to the K38, a 6" M&P Target which shoots as well. Nothing but cast goes through these revolver at target velocities.

Petrol & Powder
11-08-2019, 08:07 PM
So setting aside all of the hyperbole, the K-38 or Model 14 Target, is a legendary revolver.

In reality it is just a S&W K-frame chambered in 38 Special with some extra features such as a trigger stop, target trigger, 6" barrel and target sights ......however.....that combination is epically awesome !

Some people will say that the model 14's were assembled with great care and others will say that it really isn't anything more than a 6" model 15 with a few extra target features. I will say that both of those views are correct.
A S&W Model 14 is more than the sum of its parts. That revolver may have been the pinnacle of the DA target revolvers chambered in 38 Special.

So, if it's mechanically sound and hasn't been abused, it's almost impossible to go wrong with one.

In the end, it's a 6" K-frame chambered in 38 Special but they tend to be closer to magical than just the sum of their parts.

If the price is right and it is in good condition - BUY IT !

tazman
11-08-2019, 10:23 PM
I have one that is a bit earlier than yours. Mine predates the model 14.
I have shot a ton of cast through it and it is superbly accurate.
K frame S&W revolvers are simply great guns.

rintinglen
11-08-2019, 10:43 PM
I have two--if you can afford it, buy it. you won't regret it.

Walks
11-08-2019, 10:50 PM
My M-14 is my Favorite .38Spl Revolver for Paper. Manufactured in 1972 it is more accurate then I am these days.

BUY IT. Heck, by both.

ddixie884
11-09-2019, 12:00 AM
A K frame with adj sights is a heck of a .38spl. The 14 is great but i'm a 4'' guy, myself. You can't go wrong with a K frame. If the price is right, that is just another reason to invest.........

dverna
11-09-2019, 12:16 AM
I would certainly purchase it.

I regret selling the one I had. That was about 15 years ago.

Mike Kerr
11-09-2019, 12:49 AM
You have a good reason to buy it. Do not hesitate anymore. Buy it.

samari46
11-09-2019, 01:27 AM
The model 14 was really a genuine match revolver and I knew an old bullseye shooter who had multiple targets with the centers shot out. The old bullseye load of 2.7 grains and a 148 grain wadcutter was all he ever fired in his 14. I must admit I have a fondness for the 38 spl. Model 36, model 10, model 14 and model 15. My only 357 magnum is a Colt Trooper MKIII made about 1975. Bought that one on a impulse buy. Very accurate as well. Still tight and hope it stays that way. Colt smiths are getting hard to find. Got lucky and got a bunch of parts like barrel, cylinder assembly and some small parts years back. Years back it was something of a cult following to get a Python or Trooper MKIII barrel on a S&W revolver because supposedly the Colt barrels were tighter in the bore dimensions and the Colt barrel twist supposedly was better for wadcutters. I did see one Trooper MKIII turned into a PPC revolver. Big long slabbed barrel with the Aristocrat sight setup. Was tempted but who knows how many rounds were shot through it and what shape the lock work was in plus the $700 price tag had something to do with it. Jim Clark and family may still do a PPC gun up there in Princton,LA. Last I heard they did them on the model 10. Sorry to wander. Frank

Petander
11-09-2019, 05:05 AM
They reserved it for me,thanks everyone.

https://i.postimg.cc/76QHzGDq/IMG-20191109-104002-548.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/QtVsj87w/IMG-20191109-104023-726.jpg

drac0nic
11-09-2019, 05:07 AM
oh goodness yes. You need that.

wgg
11-09-2019, 08:53 AM
Very nice, looking for one myself.

Petrol & Powder
11-09-2019, 09:33 AM
Petander - that is an excellent gun, I think you will be very pleased with it.

You may want to get some target grips or a Tyler T-grip adaptor for it; I find the factory grip panels to be a bit difficult to live with in DA shooting. Grips are an individual thing and one size does not fit all, so those factory grips may be just fine for you.

If you do decide to replace the grips, hold onto those originals.

Most of the Model 14's I've encountered are works of art. They will put 148-158 grain bullets into little groups with monotonous regularity :-) . As stated earlier, the 148 grain Wadcutter (both the solid type and the hollow based WC) are favorites in the Model 14.

They will also thrive on 158 grain SWC pushed at standard velocities. They really are classic S&W revolvers. .

El Bibliotecario
11-09-2019, 12:28 PM
"A Mod 15 was too tight for my slug, a better looking Mod 14-3 on the other hand felt almost perfect..."

I recall a similar story involving a little girl and three bears. This thread is a classic example of rationalization supported by enablers, but is a refreshing change from excuses for buying a huge wrist-wrenching magnum revolver to provide protection in the event a rogue elephant shows up on the lawn.

Wheelguns 1961
11-09-2019, 12:42 PM
“ rogue elephant on the lawn” that is too funny!

tazman
11-09-2019, 12:55 PM
“ rogue elephant on the lawn” that is too funny!

I once purchased a 458 Win Magnum for elephant hunting. The elephants immediately left the area.
Since I had no further use for it, I sold it. Apparently, the elephants still believe I have the rifle since they have not returned.

Petander----You have found a wonderful revolver. Use it regularly. Those were made for shooting.

35isit
11-09-2019, 01:49 PM
My cousin has a mid seventies vintage Model 14 that is single action only. He bought it new not knowing it was single action. He won't sell it to me:groner:.

Green Frog
11-09-2019, 04:58 PM
I've got three M14 S&Ws P&Rs, one NIB. Both the ones I shoot are tuned for 148gr WCs at 825fps. I've had several others too and they are the Cadillac of 38sp revolvers. No one mentioned price. They are a bit of a sleeper around here too. Hi condition k38s can be had $600-$700. Nice shooters start at $500. There are some 4" K38s that will go higher because of collector value. I also have the forerunner to the K38, a 6" M&P Target which shoots as well. Nothing but cast goes through these revolver at target velocities.

I’ve never seen a P&R Model 14... pinned yes, but not recessed. Are you sure you don’t have Model 19s?

rfd
11-09-2019, 05:10 PM
i'll take it! when can i pick it up? :)

glaciers
11-09-2019, 09:50 PM
Great guns for sure. I have a couple of 6" 14's and won't sell them. I'd love to come across a 4"

Petander
11-10-2019, 05:10 PM
I have a theory:

Here in Finland we have strict gun laws requiring quite a bit of paperwork,interviews,tests,doctors,time,money,club memberships etc for a permit to buy a handgun. And legal guns are only getting more and more controlled.

That's why people who finally get a permit rather buy a modern million-rounds-a-minute gun than an old fashioned revolver. These are considered old man guns... prices are accordingly low.At 57 I'm old enough to appreciate the accuracy,quality and workmanship of these revolvers. I have had a few since the 90's.

Silhouette is not "in" any more either. I don't understand all this but well,I'm all for accuracy and others can do as they like. If becoming old means buying more old S&W revolvers for low prices,I'm all in! Not to mention casting for these...

Drm50
11-10-2019, 06:00 PM
I'm referring to era, there is always a nit picker. I got close to 50 S&W revolvers, I think I know the difference between a 14 & 19.

cas
11-10-2019, 07:22 PM
Only two reasons to buy it:

1. You don't own a S&W Model 14.
2. You do own one and want another.

I'm sure you probably fall in one or the other. ;)

I once purchased a 458 Win Magnum for elephant hunting. The elephants immediately left the area.
Since I had no further use for it, I sold it. Apparently, the elephants still believe I have the rifle since they have not returned.

I'm taking my 450/400 hunting again this year in case I see a lion or a rhino.
I mean why not, most years I see as many lions as I do deer.

USSR
11-10-2019, 08:11 PM
You may want to get some target grips or a Tyler T-grip adaptor for it;

+1.

Don

Petander
11-11-2019, 07:58 PM
Tyler looks interesting.

I like the original grips,too. There is enough room for my big,fat middle finger without the trigger guard hitting it.

About elephants,I was shooting a 500 S&W today and kept thinking about Mod 14 every now and then. It was getting dark,no elephants,that blinding flash...

Texas by God
11-11-2019, 10:21 PM
Long ago one came to us cheaply, courtesy of being rescued from a house fire. The bluing was peppered a bit and the edges of the Target grips were charcoaled a bit. Still safe and functional, brother had it bead blasted and GunKoted it. A pair of Pachymayr grips, and you could put a hole in a hole with any decent ammo. I killed a couple of called-in Rio Grande toms with it and for a few years we took rabbits, squirrels, and even some prairie dogs with that amazing gun. I just hope that whoever got it from eldest brother appreciates it. I sure did. I share your fondness for the standard grip.

Slugster
11-11-2019, 10:34 PM
Is there a reason to NOT buy a S&W mod 14?

walnut1704
11-12-2019, 10:44 AM
I have a late 60's vintage Model 14. I got it from a club member for a fair price. He saw me shooting my 6" Model 66 and asked if I might be interested another revolver....uh, yeah. If I ran into the same deal today I'd buy a second one.

Over the years I've had oh so many 6" .357/.38 revolvers of various makes but mostly S&W's with a sprinkling of every other brand. I've found the cylinder throats to be at least a bit on the tight side in all but one. I have a Taurus that's way oversized (.360+. My pin gauges stop at .360, so it might be worse!). The aforementioned Model 14 had the tightest throats I've ever seen on a .38 revolver ...0.3550-.03555. That might account for the fact that it had a bit of leading in the barrel for a gun that looked like it hadn't had more than a couple of hundred rounds through it.

Fortunately years ago I bought a throat reamer with pilots from Brownells. I've used it a dozen times. It has paid for itself compared to shipping the cylinder off to have it done and is an easy-to-do project.

rfd
11-12-2019, 10:54 AM
dolt that i am, i sure regret selling off my 14-2 ...

https://i.imgur.com/fbL5DfB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/76CtFMy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wBseXK5.jpg

JoeJames
11-12-2019, 11:41 AM
3K47xxx Mod 14-3.

I don"t know what is happening but I enjoy shooting revolvers and casting from them so much these days...From my notes it looks as though it was made in 1971. Pinned barrel, fine looking Model 14. Ne plus ultra of fine 38 Special Smith target revolvers. I would bet the trigger pull is less than 3 1/2 pounds. I have a Model 15 of similar vintage; I put away the factory stocks and use a set of Pachmayr Professional Grippers on mine for shooting.

wildcatter
11-12-2019, 05:00 PM
I would only own two S&W revolvers if had my choice of all, the Model 14 is one, and the Model 17 is the only other, I would bet both in Target configuration, with 6" barrels! K-38 and K-22 Masterpiece,, that says it all!

The 2 very best revolvers they ever made in my opinion!

tazman
11-12-2019, 06:38 PM
I would only own two S&W revolvers if had my choice of all, the Model 14 is one, and the Model 17 is the only other, I would bet both in Target configuration, with 6" barrels! K-38 and K-22 Masterpiece,, that says it all!

As it happens, I own those two revolvers, as well as others of course. The K38 target masterpiece I own predates the model 14 by a couple of years. The 17 is a -3.
They are easily the most accurate revolvers I own.
The rest are close seconds. I have no intention of selling any of them.
I took most of the 38/357 revolvers to the range today and put 350 rounds downrange. I was testing different powders under a 158 grain RNFP coated boolit. Turned out, there was little to choose between the different loads.
One powder was slightly more accurate in the majority of the revolvers than the rest. I hate to even mention it since I have never heard of anyone using it for 38 special. Winchester Super Handicap.
It worked a treat in all the revolvers.

Petander
11-12-2019, 06:43 PM

This thread needs a cat pic. And a Model 17.

https://i.postimg.cc/3xphvvyr/IMG-20191113-002846-703.jpg.

I've sold an AK and AR this year.And a nice 9mm carbine. I don't know where my timer is... it's just single ,accurate shots that are interesting now. And much more relaxing.

It's never too late for a reality check.

drac0nic
11-12-2019, 07:03 PM
I have a late 60's vintage Model 14. I got it from a club member for a fair price. He saw me shooting my 6" Model 66 and asked if I might be interested another revolver....uh, yeah. If I ran into the same deal today I'd buy a second one.

Over the years I've had oh so many 6" .357/.38 revolvers of various makes but mostly S&W's with a sprinkling of every other brand. I've found the cylinder throats to be at least a bit on the tight side in all but one. I have a Taurus that's way oversized (.360+. My pin gauges stop at .360, so it might be worse!). The aforementioned Model 14 had the tightest throats I've ever seen on a .38 revolver ...0.3550-.03555. That might account for the fact that it had a bit of leading in the barrel for a gun that looked like it hadn't had more than a couple of hundred rounds through it.

Fortunately years ago I bought a throat reamer with pilots from Brownells. I've used it a dozen times. It has paid for itself compared to shipping the cylinder off to have it done and is an easy-to-do project.

Yeah if there's anything I don't hesitate to pick up it's a "K" at a good price. I don't have any of the blued guns but I've got a brace of 66es and love em both. I like the 2.5" -5 better but the 3" -1 is actually a fairly rare piece as it was an order item for the Michigan State Police from my understanding. As was the S&W Model 38 (no dash) with a stainless cylinder that I have. If I ever do sell it would likely have to be as a pair. Supposedly the big gun would be on the side and the j-frame would be in a cross draw holster. I wish I could find a pic of the getup but I haven't found one on Google yet. I should start a thread I bet someone here would be the type that would have something like that.

Green Frog
11-13-2019, 06:26 PM

In my “herd” two of my favorite and most used revolvers are a late ‘40s K-22 and a K-38 of the same vintage. The third member of my beloved trinity is a K-32 custom built on a Model 14-3 that had the barrel and cylinder replaced as needed for the caliber change and virtually nothing else done. S&W had a word for them, and that word is “Masterpiece.”

Froggie

threedflyer
11-13-2019, 08:35 PM
I own several S&W's and the Model 14 is among my favorite shooter!

Rattlesnake Charlie
11-13-2019, 08:38 PM
"I want" is all you need.

murf205
11-14-2019, 03:29 PM
Petander, you need never ask "should " of we enablers here. Our answer will always be-of course you should. Especially when it looks a clean as the one you have found. How long before you can have it? I belong to the K crowd as well. I have a K-38 and a K-22, both pre 14 and 17 guns and they will both shoot better that I can...a LOT better. Count me in for the original factory grips as well. Like you, I was surprised at the price as opposed to magnum revolvers. I traded a Ruger Security Six for the K-22 and paid $325 for the K-38, but that doesn't matter now because they are home now.251258251259

Petander
11-14-2019, 06:07 PM
Excellent enabling indeed,thanks everyone! Sweet revolvers!

Paperwork should take 2-3 weeks.

My old mod 66 was back in the shop today. Like I wrote above,revolvers are not in high demand around here. I personally think my selfloader phase is passing... I don't even know where my timer is right now.

Green Frog
11-14-2019, 07:17 PM
Petander, you need never ask "should " of we enablers here. Our answer will always be-of course you should. Especially when it looks a clean as the one you have found. How long before you can have it? I belong to the K crowd as well. I have a K-38 and a K-22, both pre 14 and 17 guns and they will both shoot better that I can...a LOT better. Count me in for the original factory grips as well. Like you, I was surprised at the price as opposed to magnum revolvers. I traded a Ruger Security Six for the K-22 and paid $325 for the K-38, but that doesn't matter now because they are home now.251258251259

A K-22 and a K-38 for a Security Six and $325? You must be living right! :D

As I said in my previous post, my K-22 and K-38 are early post-War, but it's hard to go wrong with any of them. They were always well built and as a result the accuracy and good handling came naturally. Like you, my 22 and 38 both proudly wear their original, numbered grips. The Model 14-3 I bought to build my recreated Model 16-3 came with a particularly ugly set of grips by Goodyear, so it currently wears a pair of Altamont replica Ropers. :cool:

Froggie

murf205
11-15-2019, 01:05 PM
I can't blame you for wanting a model 16 but re-creating one would be the only way I could afford one. The guy that I traded the Security Six with had a big back pack full of older S&W's wrapped up in cloth rags. He told me that they were his grandfathers!! No family allegiance there. I found a mod 28 Hiway Patrolman 6" for $350 and the K38 at the same show. I was tapped out of cash but there were bargains to be had, never fails when you are out of $.

Green Frog
11-16-2019, 10:02 AM
I can't blame you for wanting a model 16 but re-creating one would be the only way I could afford one. The guy that I traded the Security Six with had a big back pack full of older S&W's wrapped up in cloth rags. He told me that they were his grandfathers!! No family allegiance there. I found a mod 28 Hiway Patrolman 6" for $350 and the K38 at the same show. I was tapped out of cash but there were bargains to be had, never fails when you are out of $.

The number of bargains I encounter in any given situation is inversely proportional to the amount of cash in my pocket. [smilie=b:

I’ve tried to plan ahead. I’ve tried to keep a “slush fund” hidden in my wallet. I’ve tried a variety of other strategies, but the physical law stated above always seems to come back to haunt me. I think a guy named Murphy has something to do with it! :groner:

OTOH the stars will sometimes align and the amount of cash on hand becomes insignificant... your trade of a R*g*r for a K-22 is a perfect example.

The impetus for my faux Model 16-3 build was an e-mail from someone I didn’t know on the S&W Forum offering me an original NOS barrel for it at a give-away price. It was so cheap I even volunteered to pay the shipping! Of course this was only the beginning of what the project cost, but that’s how I was able to get the K-32 to complete the trio. :D

Froggie

Der Gebirgsjager
11-16-2019, 12:17 PM
One needs no excuse to buy a Mod. 14! It's almost obligatory.

murf205
11-16-2019, 12:46 PM
The number of bargains I encounter in any given situation is inversely proportional to the amount of cash in my pocket. [smilie=b:

I’ve tried to plan ahead. I’ve tried to keep a “slush fund” hidden in my wallet. I’ve tried a variety of other strategies, but the physical law stated above always seems to come back to haunt me. I think a guy named Murphy has something to do with it! :groner:

OTOH the stars will sometimes align and the amount of cash on hand becomes insignificant... your trade of a R*g*r for a K-22 is a perfect example.

The impetus for my faux Model 16-3 build was an e-mail from someone I didn’t know on the S&W Forum offering me an original NOS barrel for it at a give-away price. It was so cheap I even volunteered to pay the shipping! Of course this was only the beginning of what the project cost, but that’s how I was able to get the K-32 to complete the trio. :D

Froggie

Speaking of the stars aligning, yours must have been all lined up when you found the cylinder for that project.
As for as the guy named Murphy, I wish they had named that law after someone else!
David Murphy

Hickory
11-16-2019, 01:47 PM
If I remember correctly, Froggie had a 22 lr cylinder rechambered to .32 long to close the 32 loop.

Petrol & Powder
11-16-2019, 04:25 PM
One needs no excuse to buy a Mod. 14! It's almost obligatory.

/\ Agreed /\

Green Frog
11-17-2019, 11:12 AM
If I remember correctly, Froggie had a 22 lr cylinder rechambered to .32 long to close the 32 loop.

That’s right. Truth to tell I had had the K-22 cylinder in reserve for a couple of years before “the stars aligned.” The limiting factor for the K-32 project was the barrel. Of course, a K-38 donor was no problem.

Froggie

Petander
11-17-2019, 11:23 AM
I didn't know that "obsolete" 38 Special has such a following.

I tried some 38's in a 357 and liked it. But I rather shoot my 38's in a 38 gun... then I just happened to check those throats in the shop and they fit great,the gun feels great,all this workmanship...well...

I've been planning 38 Special reloading already and grabbed a SWC mold in Ebay.

Petrol & Powder
11-17-2019, 11:32 AM
There's a reason the 38 Special cartridge has been with us since 1898. :-D

Der Gebirgsjager
11-17-2019, 01:50 PM
Just rambling here....... the most accurate "from the box" .38 Special that I ever encountered was actually a Mod. 19 .357 6" barrel. But that was an unusual specimen, I believe, and in general like you noted I'd rather shoot a .38 in a .38. I have around a dozen of them, all S&W or Colt.

Also, the .38 Special is such a really great cartridge because due to it's popularity it is available in so many factory loadings, and lends itself so well to handloading. Also, perhaps of interest, it was designed to replace the .38 Long because of a perceived lack of power, but the Special itself was overshadowed by the .357 Mag. when it was also found wanting in police use. This was eventually corrected by improvements in bullet design and propellants, but the semi-auto pistols had edged out the revolvers. Today, for us hardcore revolver fans, the .38 Special remains popular because loads exist for everything from low recoil target practice to hyper velocity self-defense loads, and everything in between.

I see that you are located in Finland. I wonder if you could tell us a bit about the availability of guns where you live, the variety and types available, and what the requirements are to own firearms and shoot them in your country? What are the storage requirements (if any), and are there any restrictions on ammunition? Are you at all governed by the European Union firearms laws?

Drm50
11-17-2019, 02:32 PM
I have two shooters in m14 and m19, all 6" guns. For target shooting with WCs I could never get the accuracy of the K38 out of the 19s. I have run into the same thing with M24 vs M29. I just got a new HBWC 44 mold and am going to see if that makes a difference. In 357 I hardly ever shoot my m19s any more. Even though I'm shooting target loads with cast WCs the m27 shoots better for me. In both 19 & 27 I have loaded in 38sp and 357 brass. In 19 it does a little better in 357 cases. In 27 it doesn't seem to matter. This is with 148gr WCs and with various powders.

murf205
11-17-2019, 05:17 PM
Man alive. You guys have got me wanting to go burn some powder even more than usual. I have GOT to get this &^*%$ cast off!

Petander
11-17-2019, 05:22 PM
I see that you are located in Finland. I wonder if you could tell us a bit about the availability of guns where you live, the variety and types available, and what the requirements are to own firearms and shoot them in your country? What are the storage requirements (if any), and are there any restrictions on ammunition? Are you at all governed by the European Union firearms laws?

I'll scratch the surface:

We have a good selection available. The laws are changing all the time,making things more complicated,little by little. EU is coming in and there's a continuing "guns are bad" atmosphere from certain political corners. Just like everywhere else these days. You can get a handgun buying permit / license for an acceptable reason, like being a gun glub member and a hobby/ sports/competition proofing paper from an instructor is required. No handgun hunting here. You can't buy a legal gun (of any kind) for self defence,either. You have to prove your activity every five years,also with every handgun buying application. Proof is certain amount of training within the last two years,signed by a qualified instructor.

Hunting is an acceptable rifle/shotgun reason. Club membership is required,also a big game shooting test for big rifles is becoming required now. It's good, yest is required for moose/whitetail/bear hunt anyway.

No full auto for civilians unless a qualified trad arms collector. Very rare. Hollow point handgun ammo needs a special buying permit. AP can't have for rifles. Suppressors are legal without any paperwork. All this paperwork means appointments,letters,driving,schedule tweaks for the average working man.

Guns have to be stored in proper gun safes at home. Certain codes accepted,they are good safes.Transported in car trunks,not inside.

What else? There is a certain anti-atmosphere, also being a gun owner you really can't get speeding tickets,not to mention get in a fight or any other problem. Gun permits are the first to go. If someone breaks in your house to take your guns,you have to let them take them. Shoot and you will spend life for murder. You really shouldn't show gun or hunt photos in Facebook. May lead to trouble when someone reports "being afraid of you". There have been cases,guns gone.

We have plenty of (dying) shooting ranges,many are unden enviro threats. But things being complicated,young peple rather choose an easier hobby than hunting or firearms related.

I have been active shooter/ hunter since early 90's , things have changed and in some ways the recent paper-filled rules are good because they are fair and clear and the same to everyone. You can get a gun for an acceptable reason.

Of course you pay in every turn. One funny thing: new guns are inspected and CIP proofed right before they go to shops for sale. You get the permit and buy the gun. Next you have to take that gun to police to be inspected. After inspection you get the real permit.

All these little twists make a hobbyist's life full of appointments,driving,mail checking,paying ... But it could be worse and I like it.

Alstep
11-18-2019, 03:42 AM
WOW! And I thought things were bad here in New York State. I hope our governor doesn't read this and get any more ideas.

I recently read a book entitled "The White Sniper". It's the story of Simo Hayha, a sniper in the Winter War with the Soviets in 1939-40. A remarkable story. Apparently shooting & hunting were respected in your country back then. Sadly, the anti-gun attitude in both our countries seams to be taking over. When I grew up here, every school had a rifle club. Those days are long gone.

Sorry to digress off the main topic.

USSR
11-18-2019, 08:51 AM
If you've never traveled overseas, you have no idea how difficult or impossible firearm usage is. When I was in Ukraine this year, a police officer told me of how one of his fellow officers was knifed and then shot the guy. Upon being released from the hospital, the officer was taken to prison. We are truly blessed.

Don

rfd
11-18-2019, 09:04 AM
WOW! And I thought things were bad here in New York State. I hope our governor doesn't read this and get any more ideas.

I recently read a book entitled "The White Sniper". It's the story of Simo Hayha, a sniper in the Winter War with the Soviets in 1939-40. A remarkable story. Apparently shooting & hunting were respected in your country back then. Sadly, the anti-gun attitude in both our countries seams to be taking over. When I grew up here, every school had a rifle club. Those days are long gone.

Sorry to digress off the main topic.

back in the late 50's to early 60's i'd take my cased .22 rifle on the bus to school, for rifle team practice and matches. the rulers of the world know that the firearm is the Great Equalizer that they fear most, so it makes perfect sense they have 'em, we won't. just a matter of time and the proof is in the progress that's been made in the last 50 years worldwide to that effect.

having been through pretty much the gamut of popular handgun types and cartridges, i've come to realize and appreciate the value and worth of the "lowly" .38spl cartridge, and guns that are expressly chambered for them alone. i have one and soon i'll have two, both S&Ws.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-18-2019, 12:40 PM
Petander- Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions, and for doing so very comprehensively. Your situation is very interesting. As you are no doubt aware we have 50 states in our country, and all 50 have different firearms laws with some being more restrictive than others. Although it seems like the walls are closing in on us, I'm thankful that we (and you) are still able to pursue our hobby.

DG

Petander
11-18-2019, 04:01 PM
I'm interested in The World. The Humankind and nature,everything. I follow things.

I have lived in NYC,Brazil,India... travelled quite a bit,too. I then settled down here in the countryside, now The World can be reached from a hammock with a smartphone.

There was a small gun board called "Shooter's Legacy" in 2000-2004 or so. I miss some folks,we were sending things back and forth,molds,knives etc.

But now I'm rambling. Life is good.

Petander
11-19-2019, 09:26 AM
Now look what the cat dragged in, a NEI 358/145 GC. I'm thinking Mod 14 coated without GC. Might try GC for carbine loads. Nice to have options.

I thought I was buying a used mold but this is like new.

https://i.postimg.cc/8kKD5cY0/IMG-20191119-140430.jpg

Petrol & Powder
11-19-2019, 09:56 AM
That's a nice mold.
You don't need a gas check for a 38 Special (in fact you rarely need a GC for any revolver bullet) but if it shoots well for you - great!

A SWC that runs around 150-160 grains is about as close as you can get to a "universal" bullet in 38 Special.
Some folks claim the round nose types are more accurate than the SWC due to the RN design helping to align the cylinder as the bullet enters the forcing cone. I'm not sure I buy into that explanation. I've had good results from the "Keith" style SWC types and never saw an improvement with the RN types. YMMV

I shot a ton of Speer Hollow Based Wadcutters [HBWC] before I started casting my own and that swaged bullet performed very well. When I started casting, I went on a search for a wadcutter design. Most of the clones of the H&G #50 seem to be about equal. The RCBS 38-148WC produces a great WC bullet that runs 153-155 grains with my alloy and shoots well. The 2 cavity restriction of RCBS molds is a bit of a pain but that's the price you pay for that great RCBS quality.

My favorite 38 Special bullet has become the SAECO 382 in a four cavity mold. I think any SWC of that same weight and design will excel in a S&W chambered in 38 Special. After all of these years, most of the secrets concerning the 38 Special have been uncovered.

If you haven't read Glen Fryxell's, "From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners", I can HIGHLY recommend it.

Thumbcocker
11-19-2019, 11:04 AM
The lee 158 grn rnfp is available in 6 cavity and works well in revolvers and levers.

Petander
11-19-2019, 08:50 PM
I've had that Lee mold for years,it's the old flat base version.

https://i.postimg.cc/SQVmhcjz/IMG-20191028-212707.jpg

Just wanted to try a GC design,even though I may never need the checks... and couldn't pass this mold/handles/checks -package.

I'm just breaking it in, not perfect bullets yet but nothing major,only the tiny seam.

https://i.postimg.cc/3JMVzRFD/IMG-20191119-222100.jpg

Petander
12-19-2019, 11:37 AM
I would want one with target trigger and hammer.

Got it today. Aren't these target versions?

https://i.postimg.cc/VL39v8Sp/IMG-20191219-172117-968.jpg

An extremely well balanced shooting experience. Steel was ringing good!

https://i.postimg.cc/9fWH6sBw/IMG-20191219-172511-132.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/SQ3K8NyS/IMG-20191219-173259-597.jpg

tazman
12-19-2019, 02:54 PM
Got it today. Aren't these target versions?

https://i.postimg.cc/VL39v8Sp/IMG-20191219-172117-968.jpg

An extremely well balanced shooting experience. Steel was ringing good!

https://i.postimg.cc/9fWH6sBw/IMG-20191219-172511-132.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/SQ3K8NyS/IMG-20191219-173259-597.jpg

I am sorry, but no, those are not the target hammer, target trigger, or target grips. Here is a picture of hat the target versions should look like.
Notice how much wider both the trigger and hammer are than yours. Also the grips are larger and fill the space between the trigger guard and grip differently.
Important to note that the target hammer, trigger, grip combination do not improve the accuracy of the gun. They only change the feel of the gun in your hand.
The standard trigger, hammer, and grip that you have work just as well as the other style.
Your revolver is a fine example of a Model 14 S&W and should serve you well. It is obviously accurate as proven by your results.
It is in considerably better shape than the one I just purchased.

Petander
12-19-2019, 04:12 PM
Now I see,thank you Tazman.

I knew the grip isn't a "target" version,funny that the standard trigger feels wider than it is because of those grooves. I like these grips even though they are small... but they suit this gun.

tazman
12-19-2019, 05:36 PM
It isn't important that the trigger and hammer be the target style. Your gun is perfect the way it is because it suits you and your hands.
I prefer the standard trigger and hammer for my uses. I get better control with the standard trigger and the standard hammer doesn't catch on things as much as the target hammer does.
There is no difference in the rest of the gun as far as function.

Petander
12-20-2019, 06:39 AM
This still has quite a bit of tooling marks. I'll give it a quick diet of J-bullets first.

https://i.postimg.cc/s2qvrV86/IMG-20191220-123443-341.jpg

jonp
12-20-2019, 07:18 AM
"hey honey, i have a bullet in my pocket so i have to buy that revolver right there for it" I'll have to remember that one.

I've got one, it's a piece of art and no, you should never ask that question on this site.

Congrats on the revolver, your going to love it with cast.

Petander
12-20-2019, 09:43 AM
Thank you Jon,

I just sent another hundred downrange. The more I "smooth" this revolver with j-rounds, the more brass I'm getting for loading cast rounds! What's not to like?

Accuracy is here,clays on a snow berm show a lot. I'm still 4" high.

I just noticed that of course my 17/22 has target trigger,hammer and grips. They are HUGE.

Petander
12-28-2019, 10:34 AM
Just another good day with the 14. Plates @ 75 don't cling as loud as with a 357.

https://i.postimg.cc/dtp2FtcK/IMG-20191228-162511-814.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/x8qmrBsC/IMG-20191228-162443-206.jpg

Wayne Dobbs
12-28-2019, 12:09 PM
I'm no fan of cold weather and especially Finland cold, but that place of yours is clearly beautiful!

Lance Boyle
12-28-2019, 12:32 PM
Agreed! It is beautiful. Our Adirondack mountains have some similar views, including black pine and tamerack swamps, and scattered rustic hunting camps akin to the Finnish summer house I guess.

An acquaintance of mine offered to sell me a police .38, you know standard cop gun. I was interested thinking it was a 4” model 10 or better yet a 4” model 15. He finally rembers to dig it out, a model14. A 6” of course. I already have a slew of 6” guns so I passed without asking price. I know he was thinking $2-300 based on conversations the year before.

Yea, I know, I am a dummy.

tazman
12-28-2019, 12:54 PM
Model 14 S&W, or any K frame S&W for that matter, is a good revolver to own and shoot.
I just can't seem to walk past them in the gun store.
If I can get one for under $400, I can't pass it up.
I am currently trying to stay out of gun stores because those K frame revolvers have been showing up recently.

mart
12-28-2019, 03:29 PM
You enabling scoundrels have got me jonesing for a 14 now. I have a 10 cavity H&G #50 mold, a big pile of range scrap and a lead pot that will hold 125 pounds of lead. I just don't have a model 14. I have to work out a little before I start casting with that 10 hole steel mold. It weighs a little more than my 4 and 6 cavity aluminum molds.

Petander
12-28-2019, 03:59 PM
It's been a bit chilly but once you get out there shooting,wearing proper clothing, everything is fine.

You enabling scoundrels have got me jonesing for a 14 now. I have a 10 cavity H&G #50 mold, a big pile of range scrap and a lead pot that will hold 125 pounds of lead. I just don't have a model 14. I have to work out a little before I start casting with that 10 hole steel mold. It weighs a little more than my 4 and 6 cavity aluminum molds.

125 pounds lead pot? Wow.

About H&G #50, yes you need a 14 because you have a #50. I have a four cavity one in a mail,it cleared our customs already. I wanted it because of mod 14. I have a Pro Melt full of almost pure lead and new colours to coat with just came from Hi Tek Joe, Australia.

And a John Wayne movie on TV right now.

mart
12-28-2019, 06:34 PM
I built the lead pot 25 years ago when I was working for a well driller. We had a short piece of 12 inch casing. Too short to do much with so I welded a bottom on it and have used it for years for making big patches of a particular alloy or for marathon casting sessions. For instance, last week I made 100 pounds of 50/50 linotype and range scrap. I use a turkey fryer burner for heat. Works pretty good. It's nice not to have to stop to melt more lead if I'm casting a lot of bullets. I have a couple of the 10 pound Lee bottom pour and a 20 pound hand pour Lee. I think I'll order a 20 pound bottom pour Lee since I have a few molds that seem to turn out better bullets from a bottom pour than they do from a hand pour.

That's a beautiful 14 you have and congratulations are in order. There is a lot of enjoyment to be had with a mild recoiling revolver and a simple bullseye target or a steel target. The steel target is kind of instant gratification and the bullseye delayed gratification. Both make for a fun day on the range.

atr
12-28-2019, 07:42 PM
I have a .38 model 14....superb firearm
deadly accurate...handles heavy and light loads equally well...
light weight and easy to pack
a fine revolver

Green Frog
12-29-2019, 10:06 AM
Petander, since the 32 S&W Long is so popular in Europe for competition, I wouldn’t be surprised if a K-32/Model 16 showed up there. A little free advice; don’t ask on this board whether you should buy it, report how you did buy it and make everyone green with envy. I don’t regret at all completing my “Trifecta” at all, even though I ended up having a recreation of a 16-3 built. :smile:

Happy New Year,
the Green Frog

Petander
12-29-2019, 03:28 PM
There was more lead and carbon than I thought.

But everything else is very good,alignment,headspace,endshake is 2, gap is 6,nonexistent turning slack when locked... any closer to "vault" feel and it would have to be a solid piece.

Observing all this made me load a bit milder 500 S&W today...

https://i.postimg.cc/wxrLqK0X/IMG-20191229-192705-723.jpg

Petander
12-30-2019, 02:12 PM
Still some old memories.

Dirt in the front is only oil and lint from VFG wads. Carbon / lead in there is old...

https://i.postimg.cc/5yKVLqcP/IMG-20191230-190429-140.jpg

Lance Boyle
01-25-2020, 12:21 PM

I was buying my molds in brass. I like how they heat but damned if I want any large ones!