PDA

View Full Version : Problem with a Lyman Orange Crusher

mtgrs737
11-08-2019, 01:07 AM
I set my son up with reloading equipment which included a nice Lyman Orange Crusher press. He reports that the pin that connects the ram with the handle toggle works out one side and he needs to push it back in every 15 strokes or so. I am not so familiar with the Lyman press but my Rock Chucker has a clip on each end of the pin in that area of the press. Since I bought the press second hand I didn't get any paper work on it or diagrams on that area of the press. Anyone else had that problem and how did you solve it?

onelight
11-08-2019, 02:48 AM
I have not had that problem , I just looked at mine , the pin that goes through the ram has no clips that I can see.
I bought mine about 1982 or so and do not know if there have been any changes through the years.
This looks like mine.
https://www.lymanproducts.com/accessories/replacement-parts/orange-crusher-crusher-ii-press-replacement-parts

Petrol & Powder
11-08-2019, 08:44 AM
I'm not familiar with that press but I would suggest looking at the bottom of the ram to see if there is a set screw on the end of the ram that locks that pin in place.

Maven
11-08-2019, 10:38 AM
Have and still use that press and had the same problem as you. I solved it by using a cold chisel to score both sides of the press body with the pin in place. The pin hasn't worked loose in 10 or more years.

redhawk0
11-08-2019, 11:20 AM
Have and still use that press and had the same problem as you. I solved it by using a cold chisel to score both sides of the press body with the pin in place. The pin hasn't worked loose in 10 or more years.

This ----^^^^^-----

Same problem for me until I scored both sides.

redhawk

mtgrs737
11-08-2019, 09:50 PM
OK guys, no set screw in the bottom of the ram, I had my son check. I thought I would see if I could get a 5/16" clevis pin long enough to put a washer and a cotter pin on it. It would be easier to do the score/swage process but my son is 8 hours away from me.

My thanks to all that replied! This is a great place with great folks!

Blackhawk357
11-09-2019, 03:54 AM
Have and still use that press and had the same problem as you. I solved it by using a cold chisel to score both sides of the press body with the pin in place. The pin hasn't worked loose in 10 or more years.Thank you I have the same problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mdi
11-09-2019, 12:11 PM
Have and still use that press and had the same problem as you. I solved it by using a cold chisel to score both sides of the press body with the pin in place. The pin hasn't worked loose in 10 or more years. Old mechanic's "trick". I have used a center punch to raise a small divot, just like Maven does with a chisel, to tighten a pin in a hole...

ulav8r
11-09-2019, 04:06 PM
Use the center punch or chisel on the pin, not the frame. If you ever need to change the pin, it will probably e easier to get out and less apt to damage the frame.