PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 464???

bruce drake
11-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Questions I have for anyone that has bought the new Mossberg 464 Lever-Action Rifle.:coffee:

How was the overall finish of the rifle?

Was the out of box accuracy of the 30-30 chambered rifle worth it?

I'm thinking that the price is all right to get one in the future but was curious about quality of this new lever rifle.

I'm also on the lookout for an donor Lever Rifle to build a 35-30 Wildcat on and I was thinking that this Mossberg might get a new barrel in the future should I buy it.[smilie=1:

Bruce

runfiverun
11-07-2008, 09:41 PM
i looked over the 464 as i was needing a 30-30. you can find a used 94 for the same or better price.
which is what i did, did i mention the front bbl band is plastic?

bruce drake
11-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Ugh, plastic

I did like the look of the rifle until you mentioned that. Perhaps we could find an aftermarket product to replace the plastic.

Bruce

clodhopper
11-27-2008, 12:54 AM
I bought one. It is my first lever gun. Local store had a very nice price on it.
Still gathering proper loading tools. I cleaned the copper out of the barrel from the proof shots. This rifle may never see a jacketed bullet again.
The lever has an interlock and must be pressed closed to drop the hammer.
Kinda annoying. But may insure consitant hold.
I bought because I wanted to play cowboy silhouette.

Junior1942
11-27-2008, 09:31 AM
I don't like the 1 - 10" twist.

jlchucker
11-27-2008, 11:08 PM
I looked one over very carefully at my local gunshop. That was when they first became available. It's nothing I want, not even for free. I'd rather have a Marlin or Winchester any day. I haven't read of too many people posting favorable comments about the Mossberg, in any of the 4 gun-related websites that I'm a member of.

lar45
11-30-2008, 02:49 PM
I saw on Mossberg's site that they are polling opinions for what cartridge to chamber it in next.
I looked at one several weeks ago, but didn't notice the plastic barrel band. It looked similar to the Win 94 except for the round bolt. Anybody know what steel they use?

Four Fingers of Death
11-30-2008, 07:13 PM
I don't like the 1 - 10" twist.

I thought pretty much all 30-30s had a 1 in 10" twist Junior?

The plastic Bbl band might not be kosher, but it should aid the accuracy by not interfering with bedding or bearing against the bbl.

I kinda like the look of them from the pics I have seen, but the way the Aussie dollar is going, I won't be getting one at this stage ( I have 2x 94s in 30/30, should keep me out of mischief at the moment).

northmn
12-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Is the rifling normal or microgooved as some Mossberg 22's had.

Northmn

corvette8n
12-04-2008, 12:31 PM
I looked at one in my local gun store, picked it up and cycled the action, I didn't like the way it felt, it wasn't solid like a Marlin or light and handy like a Win 94.
Its kinda like Mossberg missed the mark.

handyrandyrc
12-07-2008, 12:19 AM
I was just given one of these beautiful Mossberg 464 rifles for my birthday. It's also my first lever rifle. I am very excited to give it a spin. I will take some pictures and let folks know how things go. My dad also has one, but he has not yet tried his, either. Anyone have a Ranch Dog mould that wouldn't mind selling me some boolits?

clodhopper
12-07-2008, 01:25 AM
Is the rifling normal or microgooved as some Mossberg 22's had.

Northmn

My mossberg 464 has a 6 grove barrel, loaded 16 rounds with RCBS 180 FP
weighing 198 grains, Hornady GC, 23 grains of IMR 3031, winchester prime.
That bullet is long, Seated one in unprimed case crimped in the groove and sectioned the bullet and case with a hack saw. The gas check came off when the saw cut through the sides and started scratch in the bottem of the gas check.
Tried crimping in the next groove down and the bullet engaged the rifiling on closeing the lever.
Going to the range in the morning.

handyrandyrc
12-09-2008, 02:41 AM
I made up three dummy rounds to cycle through the action and get a feel of how a lever rifle works/feels.

I've broken the extractor.

I'm not kidding -- I literally ran those 3 rounds through it probably 3 or 4 times! I've not even been out to fire it yet.

Extractor looks like a metal leaf spring from a pen lid. You know how they curl it over on itself at the tip, in order to assist you in a snag-free slide into a shirt pocket?

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm159/handyrandyrc/mossberg2.jpg

Look, it even bends like a metal shirt hanger from a pen cap! I pulled it out like this with my thumbnail.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm159/handyrandyrc/mossberg3.jpg

I am interested to hear what Mossberg has to say about it. Does the extractor on your Winchester and Marlin rifles have that much flexibility? I'm used to beefy, stiff extractors on Soviet rifles (Mosins, AK, SKS) so perhaps my expectation is a little high, but come on...

More info to follow, I am sure...

12-09-2008, 09:02 AM
The rest of the rifle might be wonderful, but the extractor pictured above would prevent me from ever buying one. Too bad. Seems like a rush to production came at the expense of good design. There is a solid place in the market place for a "94". This sure looks like an attempt to meet that demand rather than design and produce a reliable rifle. Maybe they will design a viable refit.

9.3X62AL
12-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Winchester 30-30s are 1-12" twist--are Marlins 1-10" or 1-12"? Not sure here.

Scrounger
12-09-2008, 12:44 PM
1 in 10 inch.

handyrandyrc
12-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Update, my father also has one of these rifles. His serial number is a bit higher, about 150 or so apart from each other. His extractor is very hard, doesn't hardly move with thumb pressure -- more like a real extractor should work. I am hoping it was just a bad parts run on a few early ones or something. On the phone with Mossberg (waiting in queue) so I'll update with what they have to say.

Old Ironsights
12-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Never buy v.1 of anything. There's a reason they call it "bleeding edge" tech...

35remington
12-09-2008, 07:15 PM
handyrandy, they forgot to temper your extractor. It should be springy - as in spring steel.