PDA

View Full Version : Red Army Standard Ammo and SKS-AK Rifles

Eddie1971
11-07-2019, 04:54 PM
I am having some ammo issues with my SKS and AK's. I know that the SKS is prone to slamfires, but in my entire life, I have never experienced this until now. Recently I got a batch of Red Army Standard 7.62 made in Russia. I was told this was great stuff and made at same factory as Golden Tiger.

Anyways, i have been experiencing slamfires in all of my SKS and AK rifles with this ammo. All these rifles never slamfire until now. Like I said, this is something that I ever had happen and I've been shooting SKS rifles since the 1980"s.

All my rifles have clean firing pins that have no grease in channels of bolt. Also one of the guns is a pre-1952 with the spring loaded firing pin and I got a nice 3 round burst out of that as well. I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this? I have another RAS case left but going forward I will get Wolf or Tulammo for sure.

Bloodman14
11-07-2019, 05:23 PM
I don't know about the AK platforms, but check the sear engagement angle. Surplusrifle.com had an article about checking that, but, alas, is no longer a functioning website. Maybe Google can help?

Der Gebirgsjager
11-07-2019, 05:51 PM
Although SKS slam fires are not unheard of, as you have shown an awareness of in your original post they usually result from crud in the firing pin channel or a gunky pin. Since yours are clean, it really sounds like an ammo problem. I have several SKS rifles and have never experienced a slam fire, but load them cautiously and keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. I've never used RAS ammo, but several other brands.

Gtek
11-07-2019, 06:14 PM
The single load slam can be a an issue on some with the loss of friction from underneath without rounds or mag dragging. If it is occurring across several of your weapons I would say maybe some soft primers?

Valornor
11-08-2019, 12:44 AM
If you aren’t seeing it happen in other ammo but you do see it happen with this stuff then I would strongly suspect the ammo. I’d buy a box of Wolf or Tula ammo and take it to the range just to check that something didn’t mechanically change in your rifle.

Soft primers are the usual suspect assuming it is the ammo. Though I find it odd that Russian Ammo would have soft primers since they know what type of guns will likely be shooting it...still, everyone has a bad day, and bad batches of ammo aren’t unheard of. I’d see if I couldn’t get ahold of someone in customer service, hopefully they have a state side office.

Check out my website www.theballisticassistant.com

Texas by God
11-08-2019, 10:47 AM
I have some of the Red Army Standard ammo and have fired a couple of boxes through a Palmetto AK with no problems. I'll dig out some more and try it in my x39 AR15. With your years of experience with the platforms, I suspect bad ammo as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Eddie1971
11-08-2019, 08:30 PM
Its doing mostly in my 3 SKS's. Did once in AKM. I have some Tulammo Ill try in them. I have the feeling it's ammo. I've had bad luck with that RAS in other calibers as well. I got a batch of 7.62x25 that was corrosive once. That was made in Romania. They seem to get ammo from everywhere. Ive seen 7.62x39 made in Ukraine, Russia, Romania in their boxes.

tankgunner59
11-18-2019, 02:52 AM
I bought some RAS ammo for my SKS, and have fired several times with them with no slam fires. If it's the ammo maybe it's a problem with a certain lot. Sorry to hear you're having this trouble.