PDA

View Full Version : Besides old Goex

Potsy
11-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Last week I was putting my speed loads together and realized I was low on 2f Goex (for my old Knight BK-92) and 3F (for my old CVA Hawken).
Goex is the only powder I've run through these rifles and it gives very good accuracy in both of them. As far as speed goes, I've never bothered to chronograph them.

I was just wondering if anyone had played with any KIK, Goex Express, or any of the black powders that are rumored to provide more speed, accuracy, etc. and what the results were in your muzzleloaders.

My loads (in case you were wondering) are 85 grain 3F and a round ball in my CVA .50, and 100 Grain 2F with a Knight Sabot and 240 grain .44 XTP (I know, J-Word) in my Knight. The CVA gets #11's, the Knight gets musket caps.

Just thought I'd check around before I buy a couple of pounds of Goex.

Thanks for any replies!!

KCSO
11-07-2008, 02:12 PM
I have used or tested Goex, Goex Ctg, Dupont, Scott's, Curtis and Harvey, Elephant, Wano, Swiss, and Meteor Powders. There are some advantages and disadvantages to each except Meteor which is as close as you can get to combustible guano. If you want clean burning with good velocity nothing beat Curtis and Harvey, too bad they don't make it anymore. Goex gives good velocity but is a drier powder and leaves crusty fouling as compared to say Elephant. Elephant gave a softer fouling but less velocity and more quantity of fouling. Velociity varies between lots of the same brand of powder so I don't consider that too much when choosing a powder. If you MUST have the most velocity per grain of powder Swiss seems to be the best right now.

My personal choice for ctg. use is Swiss and for M/L I will be shoooting Elephant for some time to come. Upper Missouri still has some Elephant in stock, I have about 20 pounds left from one old lot. For your usages I think Goex will be as good and anything.

JeffinNZ
11-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Swiss. And Swiss only. I pay a premium for it. You don't want to know how much but it is worth every cent.

northmn
11-07-2008, 07:51 PM
I have always been too cheap to buy Swiss but have tried the Graf's (Wano?) It is about the same as far as velocity. GOEX served very well for many years.

Northmn

mainiac
11-07-2008, 09:03 PM
I shoot schuetzen fff in my .32 and my .50 Get really soft fouling with it. The swiss powder is very clean, but the accuracy aint there, for the extra money youll pay!

Old Ironsights
11-07-2008, 10:11 PM
I haven't shot cartridge, but the best ratio of clean to power to accuracy in commercial powder my testing has come from Schutzen/Graf... both rebranded Wano powders.

KiK is good but not as good, and Swiss is better, but not enough to be worth the money.

Personally, I buy cheap bulk Chinese and reprocess it myself - which makes it cleaner & more consistant than all of the above... but there is a chunk of work involved.

boommer
11-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Swiss purdy well smokes them all. The 1.5 works well in 50 -54 cal , and for velocity much higher
I ran some slugs through the crony and they were 90 gr loads, 50 yards
Goex Cartridge 395 gr plains conical 1275 fps avg good accuracy 1.5
Goex 2F 395gr plains conical 1364 avg not great accuracy little over two"
Swiss 1.5 395 gr conical 1487 avg best accuracy clover leaf.
I've try others wano and such not over the crony but Swiss has performed the best for me.
Don't take me wrong here ! Swiss works the best Ive found in frontstuffers and BPCR.