PDA

View Full Version : Warm and fuzzy moments...

jdgabbard
11-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Well, in making runs by the local tire shops today, I ran into a bit of luck.

There were about three shops in town that I figured may either give and/or sell me their WWs. After taking the son to school, I left to make a stop at each and every shop (even though I figured if any would help me out it would be one of the three). Well, after hitting the ones I figured wouldn't buy in, I decided to hit the ones I thought might. The first one I headed to was one I thought for sure would help me out. A fellow hunter and friend of the family. Not to mention the father of my ex-wife's sister. It was a no go. Quote,"I reuse everything I can. Their too expensive to buy any more." Next I stopped by one that I though might help me out. Quote,"No, I melt them down for fishing sinkers" Dang, two down. One to go. So off to the third shop. I go in and talk to the owner. Quote,"I don't know what they give me for them when the truck comes to pick them up. I'll let you know next time they come by, and I might sell you a few. But I pretty much just deal with the truck." Dang. Three down, and no a single weight.

It was at that point I did something I just wouldn't have done otherwise. The very last shop in town. The owner and myself have not gotten along real well in the past, and I just knew the answer would be "no." SO...with great hesitation I pull into the shop's parking lot. Slowly walk up to the bay door, where he is working on his lift, and give him a hello. He comes over and his attitude towards me is great! "Good start," I think to myself. I start the conversation by asking what he does with his WWs, letting him know I know he probably sells them back to the truck. He says he does, and asks,"What do you need? Some lead for fishing sinkers?" I explained to him that I was actually getting into bullet casting, and would be willing to give him a little bit more for his pound then the truck pays him. He looked over in the 5 gallon bucket and told me he only has about a 1/3 of a bucket. Then told me that he would just give them to me! At this point I was so enthusiastic I told him I would feel bad just taking them. So I picked up the bucket to judge the weight, and said,"what do you think their worth?" He told me just to give him enough for lunch. So I gave him $10 and made a deal with him to start picking up all of his weights from him. Pretty much for whatever is a reasonable price at the time (what the truck pays, give or take a few cents on the pound).

This day just turned out so weird! I tried every place I though I had a good chance of getting some WWs, and it was the one place I just "knew" wouldn't help me out that made a great deal with me! How is that for a warm and fuzzy moment?

jdgabbard
11-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Btw, Just in case anyone wanted to know what type of price that 1/3 of a bucket came out to, I just weighed the WWs that I had got for the $10 bill. Came to 46.2 lbs. Which is about $0.216 a pound. Not a bad price in my book.

How much do you guys think a full 5 gal bucket typically weighs? About 150 lbs or more?

454PB
11-12-2008, 10:41 PM
A 5 gallon bucket will hold up to 160 pounds of WW's, depending on their size and the amount of extraneous garbage included. The smaller the weights, the more percentage of metal clips.

sundog
11-12-2008, 11:21 PM
My warm and fuzzy moment was when the reporter asked the marine sniper what he felt when he killed the terrorist (just getting ready to drop a mortar round) at 1200 yards on the first shot, and he replied, "Recoil, M'am".... end of interview, but naturally. That's warm ans fuzzy, and it doesn't have anything to do with shaggin' a bucket of WWs.

jdgabbard
11-13-2008, 01:16 AM
Leave it to a fellow Okie to respond like that. Gave me a nice giggle right before bed time. ;)