PDA

View Full Version : Deer in the yard

Bazoo
11-05-2019, 04:52 AM
I live in the country by Kentucky standards. Not like folks in the back woods but, 18 acres with neighbors in sight, unfortunately. Well we let our property grow up, saplings, briars, weeds. We let some of the yard grow normally. Folks say we live like hicks and the property is unkempt. I have a shop 80 yards from the house. About 15 yards from the front door, between the house and shop 3 deer are bedded down right now. Does. I went out earlier with my boxer and walked to the building. To the side of the deer about 15 yards. They looked but, as normal, didn't give us much mind.

Thought I'd share. I always liked critters. I won't shoot these come season, plenty of others in the back. I ain't got them to eat out of my hand or let me touch them yet. That'd be neat. I shoot in the yard and they don't pay it no mind.

Bazoo

winelover
11-05-2019, 06:39 AM
Watch them out my kitchen window, every day. Bella the Boxer, enjoys them too.

Winelover

Shepherd2
11-05-2019, 07:02 AM
It's a rare day when we don't see a deer. One afternoon last week there were 6 bedded down in the back yard. They don't pay much attention to us. Some keep their distance and some come up and look in the windows.

kungfustyle
11-05-2019, 07:13 AM
We just bought our place in Tennessee, last April. We've had about 9 does in the back yard and I was very temped to get a bow till I saw they were eating the poison ivy. They are welcome members of the family now, but I'm still temped when I see the boys pop in for a visit.

Camper64
11-05-2019, 10:49 AM
... but I'm still temped when I see the boys pop in for a visit.

Well you've gotta protect the girls some how.

jsizemore
11-05-2019, 11:12 AM
I live in the old barnyard of a farm. Not much farming but horse pasture now. The barnyard is a bit grown up. The deer bed and feed as close as 5 yards from the house/shack I live in. They don't mind Mozart, Led Zeppelin or Hank at volume. Good size white oak 10 yards from the house. Across the road from the farm is a subdivision and town. Kids and pets I have to chase off. Shooting on the range behind the house, an old dirty truck, and an unkempt appearance keeps them away. Me and the deer need a little space. Don't forget the rabbits and fish in the pond.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-05-2019, 12:20 PM
I really enjoy watching the deer come and go, but now, with it being anywhere from +4 to +20 at night they are migrating away again. I haven't actually seen one for 2 weeks now. They'll be back in the late Spring.

HATCH
11-05-2019, 07:51 PM
I don't live in the city but its not the country for sure, but I have a regular group of a 6 to 8 deer that come eat in my back yard.
I live on a acre with 1/2 that being on a unusable hill.
There is a spot that is on the county drainage lot next to me that has a creek running thru it.
Couple years ago they removed some trees and left a very nice little spot. The creek runs like a flipped ? with the top part being connected to my back yard.
I park my landscape trailer. I planted some grass see last year and keep in mowed on the highest setting my rider will do. They come in and eat there at least 4 or 5 times a week.