PDA

View Full Version : I have some molds for sale, are they under ITAR?

trooperdan
11-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Pretty damn silly to have to even be concerned about molds as being "implements of war"! I have a person in Netherlands that was some molds but I'm not sure if they are under ITAR restrictions or not. Can anyone provide some current references on the subject?

Valornor
11-04-2019, 01:02 PM
Wikipedia actually has a pretty decent write up on ITAR, with pertinent examples.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Traffic_in_Arms_Regulations

In short, I believe the answer is yes. Legally you can't send them mold without getting the Mother May I from the State department.

Reverend Al
11-04-2019, 02:27 PM
Why would the Netherlands be any different than any other country? Up here in Canada I order and receive without any issue cross border shipments of both new and used moulds made by NOE, Lyman, RCBS, Old West, and many other manufacturers so they don't appear to be any issue with ITAR and our current cross border shipping regulations? It is the same with reloading dies and equipment, swaging dies, and many other reloading accessories. There are even some exemptions on shotgun reloading components and accessories being shipped to Canada. (I can order shotshell hulls, wads, and reloading tools without any issues.) Why would there suddenly be an issue with shipping a mould to the Netherlands?

I think a quick phone call inquiry to US Customs or US Trade and Commerce would answer your question and put your mind to rest ...

trooperdan
11-04-2019, 05:20 PM
Large manufacturers and distributors may have the $2,250 ITAR export license, I don't. ITAR is real and it covers more than you would beleive, I know telescopic sights are covered unless recently exempted. In the last year there has been a movement to get obvious sporting equipment removed from the list but I don't know the status of it.

mto7464
11-04-2019, 05:24 PM
I had a run in with customs several years ago. It scared the crap out of me. Reading the ITAR reg/rules what ever you call them leaves a lot of room for what they will and will not allow. Its not all black and white. I do not recall anything about bullet molds. Just leave the word Bullet off the customs form. Call them casting molds.

Petrol & Powder
11-04-2019, 05:30 PM
Sounds like you want to ship "Tools" to the Netherlands. Shouldn't be a problem.