PDA

View Full Version : 15 minutes home improvement project-

nagantguy
11-03-2019, 09:29 PM
The Sheild Maiden- my wonderful wife wanted one of those fancy programmable thermostats to complement our new furnace. So being that it’s hunting season and I spend extra hours in the stand and she never complains about extra chores or running the kids to this and that I bought a nice one- wired it in and nothing- 3 times I tried and nothing- put the old one back on and it worked - so the new one was broken out of the box - took it back to the store got a new one- before I mounted the bracket on the wall I wired this one in and put the battery in and WOW it worked so I unwired it to mount the bracket and dropped it on the title floor and broke the led screen into 1000 pieces- so back to Lowe’s - a 25 mile round trip and got a 3rd thermostat and this one is now installed and working.
My 15 minute project took about 7.5 hours! Ever had those days?

lefty o
11-03-2019, 09:53 PM
if it was just one day, id be a happy camper. LOL

WRideout
11-03-2019, 09:57 PM
I once tried to replace a faucet that fed the washing machine in our house. It looked pretty simple, and I had done plumbing before, so a trip to the store to get flexible copper tubing and a new valve. I thought it would take about an hour of a Saturday afternoon and I would still have time to get to the office to finish a project I was working on. At 1:00 am I was sitting in the garage praying, "Please God let me get this water back on." A few minutes later I found a copper shutoff cap, which I soldered on and restored water to the rest of the house.
CONCLUSION: plumbing makes men very religious.

Wayne

quilbilly
11-03-2019, 10:56 PM
There is no such thing as a plumbing (or electrical) job that requires just one trip to the hardware store.

Winger Ed.
11-03-2019, 11:01 PM
There is no such thing as a plumbing (or electrical) job that requires just one trip to the hardware store.

Yep.

One time when I was doing something simple like moving a plug for the welder in the garage to another wall--
The lady at the hardware store said, "Oh, you're back again".

I replied, "Yes ma'am, 2-3 more trips and I should get this project done".

NyFirefighter357
11-04-2019, 07:40 AM
Make sure you only use Duracell or Energizer batteries in it as well. I'm sure it came with them.

NyFirefighter357
11-04-2019, 07:44 AM
The old mercury t-stats were the best, these new "fancy" t-stats are all junk, made in China they don't last very long.

buckwheatpaul
11-04-2019, 07:46 AM
Virtually every day.....thanks for the post......it reasured me that I am not the only person in that boat....so row harder!

Ole Joe Clarke
11-04-2019, 07:56 AM
Been there done that. The older I get, the longer it takes.

I'm still using the programmable thermostat that I gave $8.00 for at Wally World 20 plus years ago. When we had the AC/heating unit replaced, it came with a rinky dink thermostat that I had them remove and put my old one back up. Works like a charm.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

square butte
11-04-2019, 08:19 AM
Just another day in paradise - or pair-o-dice

lightman
11-04-2019, 08:48 AM

It sounds like we all have had those projects. Like the others, mine usually involves plumbing! Electrical has never been much of a problem but I was in the electrical business. Except that it takes me a lot longer.

waksupi
11-04-2019, 11:00 AM
I can turn a 15 minute plumbing project into a three day ordeal.

Hossfly
11-04-2019, 11:16 AM
T-87 F Honeywell t stat best ever invented.....

Slugster
11-04-2019, 11:29 AM
Plumbing...mm...yeah. I had a leak in my water coming into the house, water bills for two months 140.00 each. Usually were 24.00. Found a wet spot in between house and meter, yeah! I found it, not. Kept looking & digging. Finally threw in the towel and rented a trencher, and here is where the story gets good. I had to lay 391 feet of water line to do the entire job. Putting all the dirt back into the trench was not too bad as I used my tractor and grader blade. Still have some low spots here and there.
Moral of the story, if any, is that privacy has a cost. That is OK though as I am more than willing to pay for it. Happy plumbing!

blackthorn
11-04-2019, 01:07 PM
If I have learned one thing in my 80+ years on this old rock is if I have a plumbing problem it is time to---CALL THE GUY ---

jakharath
11-04-2019, 01:30 PM
It's not a project until you have to go to Lowes 3 times.

Winger Ed.
11-04-2019, 01:40 PM

I can beat that:

Projects I used to do after work in the evening, or rush through and get in & out of over the weekend---

Since I retired, and have all this extra time on my hands-- Now, I can stretch them out for about a month.:smile:

bob208
11-04-2019, 02:08 PM
plumbing is at least three trips to the hardware store . electric I get it figured out after I get shocked twice. we are remodeling the master bedroom. tore out 4 stupid built closets . had to take out two receptacles got shocked once.

Texas by God
11-04-2019, 02:26 PM
Sometimes a commode makes a nuclear reactor seem simple.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sig556r
11-04-2019, 03:44 PM
The old mercury t-stats were the best, these new "fancy" t-stats are all junk, made in China they don't last very long.

Those old-school mercury analogs aren't as accurate.
Get some US-made programmables such as Honeywell, Danfoss or ABB, its like upgrading from a rotary to a smartphone.

redhawk0
11-04-2019, 04:03 PM
I agree with Sig....I have Honeywell programmable 5/1/1 day...can't remember the model 8000? maybe....anyway...I had a set that lasted me 20 years and I got tired of reprogramming it twice with every time change (I'd switch the time in March...then three weeks later I'd reprogram the time again in Apr when it switched automatically)...it was programmed for the old Apr/Oct switch...the new ones that I've had for 10 years now switch Mar/Nov...I never have to touch them. I just change the batteries at the Nov time change.

redhawk

robg
11-04-2019, 04:54 PM
My wife says I'm a diy werewolf! What can go wrong will for me .

marek313
11-04-2019, 05:03 PM
Recently my local gas company had some sort of a special where they were giving away Google Nest Thermostats for the price of shipping plus you got one of those Google Home aka Alexa speakers with it too so for $15 I gave it a shot. It actually is really nice I can control my temperature from work now and its actually saving me money so for now I'm happy with it. Install was only about 20mins which was a plus. Get monthly usage reports via email, you can see how you compare to your neighbors. So far I'm impressed.

jimlj
11-04-2019, 06:15 PM
Ever change a oil pan gasket on a 4X4 F150?

pcolapaddler
11-04-2019, 06:30 PM
Ever change a oil pan gasket on a 4X4 F150?No but a 1970 Maverick wasnt much fun. Especially without much in the way of tools and on my back.

At 16 yrs old, it wasn't terrible until the engine had to be lifted to get the pan off.

Sent from the largest mountain range in Florida.

SciFiJim
11-04-2019, 08:46 PM
I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE! I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!

I thought I was the only one the it took a minimum of three trips to the hardware store to get any project done.
My Brothers, I know and feel your pain!

Winger Ed.
11-04-2019, 09:03 PM
I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE! I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!
I thought I was the only one the it took a minimum of three trips to the hardware store to get any project done.
My Brothers, I know and feel your pain!

Oh no, everybody does. For those that say they get everything they need and nothing extra on one trip----

Johnny Carson said it best:
"People that say they take a cold shower every day,,,,,,, they will lie about other things too".

WRideout
11-04-2019, 10:51 PM
The most terrifying words a wife can hear; "Honey, I can fix that!"

Wayne

Winger Ed.
11-04-2019, 11:14 PM
The most terrifying words a wife can hear; "Honey, I can fix that!" Wayne

One of the most terrifying things I can hear is a conversation that starts out with, "All ya gotta do,,,,,,,"

Geezer in NH
11-05-2019, 08:40 PM
Sounds normal to me. Way it goes.

clintsfolly
11-05-2019, 09:41 PM
The wife would take the kids out somewhere when I was working on the plumbing so they wouldn’t learn the Plumbing Words!

popper
11-05-2019, 10:22 PM
I can fix that isn't the worst, are you done yet is worst!

DocSavage
11-05-2019, 10:29 PM
I've had my share of DIY experiences the worst was 8 hrs and 4 trips to Home Depot to install a dishwasher. Now as I'm older,retired and loads of time I call a professional for my DIY projects.

nagantguy
11-07-2019, 11:21 PM
So the virus must spread- my best friend who is always there for us and helped out last year when my brother was so sick called this morning and asked for help which he never does; his hot water heater had gone out so we took old one out installed new one- and the new one don’t work?!?!?!? It turned out to be a problem with his electric service; sort of like a brown out- effected all three houses on his dead end street- which we didn’t know till mid day- so his old water heater was fine- $600 well spent!

lightman
11-08-2019, 09:33 AM
That sucks! I'm a little surprised that he didn't notice some other problems in his house. Bright or dim lights, other 240 volt appliances not working, ect.

Hossfly
11-08-2019, 10:07 AM
Sometimes you can loose 1 side of 220 and not realize it if 1/2 of house is wired in such a way that you have not tried other appliances such as oven or lights on that side of house. My case was 1/2 of house circuits went dead and other side worked fine. Found with volt meter at main breaker. Sometimes chain of events just happen, and most times at the wrong time, like when your sick or freezing cold or blazing hot. Add an automatic Gen. Set and you multiply the problems. Call in the pros when the DIY fails, to and fast.

Arlin
11-08-2019, 10:15 AM
Was thinking about replacing the valve to the water heater. After reading this I think I'll have a beer instead.

Wayne Smith
11-08-2019, 10:42 AM
Well, years ago I told LOML that she should expect that each project would cost a tool or two. Last four or five projects, no new tools!

Ickisrulz
11-08-2019, 10:49 AM

When doing plumbing I usually buy a bunch of extra fittings that I might need and just take them back if I don't use them. So, if everything goes perfect...it's just two trips.

sundog
11-08-2019, 11:11 AM
So, if everything goes perfect...it's just two trips.

Is that what's called a pipe dream?:p

higgins
11-08-2019, 01:22 PM
I normally go to the local Lowes. I have learned to get everything that I might possibly need, if I'm not sure of the size of whatever I need, get both sizes, get extra this and that ( to a reasonable point), and when I'm done return what I didn't need, in unopened undamaged packaging of course.

I commuted to work at a power plant for several years with an electrical assistant superintendent. He advised ordering four of everything you needed: one for the warehouse people to lose, one for the craft people to tear up installing, one for the inspectors to tear up testing, and one for everyone to get it right.

country gent
11-08-2019, 01:35 PM
On plumbing projects I first sit down and sketch up what I want to do. I then make a parts list of what Ill need to do the job, Then a list of the tools Ill need. Then I tke my materials list to the store and purchase what I need adding 1-2 fittings to each total. When done I don't return the few extras but store them in my pluming cabinet ( hay every now and then a couple fittings come in handy). By doing this it makes me aware of any problem areas, what will be needed and what it will take to get the job done

Land Owner
11-09-2019, 12:02 PM
Small and persistent leak in upstairs bathroom faucet. Saturday morning took crescent (monkey) wrench to tighten the packing gland "just a smidge". When that didn't work I unscrewed the gland and street pressure rained throughout the whole bathroom. Scramble ensued to close the hot water valve. 10 years of sitting in one place and that valve was STUCK. I had the Spousal Unit hold her hand towel over the faucet to stem the guiser while I laid on the floor to get under the cabinet to the shut off valve. Interesting perspective of the now soaked Spousal Unit, mad as hell, and not happy with me anymore about DIY. Shut off closed. Picked up faucet innards strewn about. Could NOT figure out how to put those pieces in place so took OTHER faucet handle apart. Both back together in two minutes. NO MORE LEAK. Was sent to the garage for mop and bucket then TOLD to CLEAN IT UP. I relished that mental image of the drenched Spousal Unit at that moment.

Winger Ed.
11-09-2019, 01:38 PM
Was sent to the garage for mop and bucket then TOLD to CLEAN IT UP. I relished that mental image of the drenched Spousal Unit at that moment.

Too funny. That would make a great three stooges skit.

Hossfly
11-09-2019, 01:55 PM
Living out in the country 45 miles from Lowes or Home Depo, makes you think about what you pick up. SWOMBO’S uncle told me years ago.
When you buy plastic fittings on plumbing projects, buy them by the bag, you’ll need them later. That was 20+ years ago. Now I have bins full for just about any thing that you and might need. Frozen pipes, leaks, etc. cleaner and glue another story buy small unless you got big job, because those big cans dry up pretty quick. I keep in old ref. To slow down evaporation. Most projects just have mostly what is needed.

jonp
11-15-2019, 04:57 PM
Just one day? That's funny. I had a house on a lake out in the middle of nowhere which was nice and quiet. I was replacing a second story window with an insulated one since it was originally not a year round home and had the single pane windows not meant for a Vermont winter. After getting the old one out and reframing, I climbed the ladder with the window to seat it and just as I got to the top dropped it. About a 100 mile round trip for a new one.