PDA

View Full Version : Blacktail Buck with CB

pete501
11-03-2019, 05:24 PM
We were overrun with bucks this year. We had 5 or 6 nice big legal bucks hanging around the house before the season started. Just before opening day they took off not to be seen for weeks. I think the deer know when the season starts.

This one was taken in the back yard at 28 paces. The gun is a slightly sporterized Rockisland Arsenal model 1903 wearing peep sight. I used a 311413 hollow point using range lead and a touch of foundry type. Load was 13gr of Unique. Deer had a broken antler

The shot was straight-on hitting the chest while the deer was laying down resting with a satisfied doe near by. The deer stood up and then layed back down. The top of the heart was destroyed. Not much of the bullet was left. Just a small portion was recovered under the skin near its mid section.

The two knives used were ones I had made from metal files. The bottom knife was the first knife I had ever made, its remained sharp through out the gutting process. The top knife was used for skinning the deer.

Now all cut and wrapped in the freezer and we are good for another year.

Oh yeah, that is my hunting outfit; a Svengoolie tee shirt and Birkenstocks.

Edward
11-03-2019, 06:14 PM
Guess it was a hardship dragging that far, but you did good shooting /skinning /draggin and wrappin . Wish my hunts worked out like yours /Congrats Ed

big bore 99
11-03-2019, 06:18 PM
Congrats. That Unique sure did it's job. It's my favorite powder. Did you use and filler? I have real good results without any.

LUCKYDAWG13
11-03-2019, 06:31 PM
nice job and Svengoolie was in my town last week went and saw him with my Kids

pete501
11-03-2019, 06:41 PM
nice job and Svengoolie was in my town last week went and saw him with my Kids

What town, Berwin? JK

No filler with this load. That 13 grain is what I use in most of my 30-06 loads from 112gr boolits to 200 gr boolits. I have a dedicated powder measure just for Unique that throws that load.

Wheelguns 1961
11-03-2019, 06:45 PM
Congratulations! Nice job! Nice knives!

quilbilly
11-03-2019, 10:51 PM
You are certainly right about those deer knowing the hunting reg in this neck of the woods on the Oympic Peninsula. We have "yard deer" including bucks around all year until one week into archery season when they go completely nocturnal. Miraculously they reappear begging for apples as soon as the last late season is over in mid-December. They even disappear off our two trail cams.

EMC45
11-04-2019, 10:39 AM
Well done.

Screwbolts
11-05-2019, 01:12 PM
congrats, way to get done!