PDA

View Full Version : Thread size question. Win.94

Elroy
11-03-2019, 12:45 PM
I bought my first 94 several months ago,and really like it .It is a pre64 (1962) in 30-30.I installed a Williams receiver sight,and while I can hit inside a 4",or 5" circle pretty consistantly at 100 yards I just cant get any better,My eyesight is not very good to start with,but after a few shots my vision gets worse.I guess it is eye strain.I hated to do it,but I ordered a side scope mount from EBay.I went with the cheapest option I could find which is a new old stock Tasco mount.The guy said it would work on my gun,and it does come with screws,but here is what happened..I was looking at EBay the next day,and a guy was selling an old Japanese Valor Luma-Glo scope that was still in the mount,and I could tell it was one of those Kwik Sight side mounts,which I think is a better mount than the Tasco I ordered,I got it for $17+$10 shipping,but I think I can put the scope to good use as well.I dont think it has screws though.I would like to keep it,and get rid of the Tasco.I think I will have plenty of the small screws for the two close spaced ones toward the rear of the receiver,but probably not the bigger one towards the front..Do any of you know what size thread it is,or were to find one? Thanks

Elroy
11-03-2019, 03:08 PM
I notice that the bases for the Weaver side mount sell for around $8 for the #3B ,and #3 for 94s,but according to the Weaver base chart the pre64 takes a #6d,and for some reason they go for around $17 or higher..Would the screws be the same for the post 64 bases?

samari46
11-04-2019, 12:23 AM
When I bought an old quick site it came with 3-4 different screws that hold the pin in for the bolt. Seems Winchester did change the
screws threads over the years. Those screws are needed to make up the difference of the thickness of the side mount where it screws into the receiver. So they are slightly longer for that reason. The standard length screw may or may not be long enough. Frank

Elroy
11-04-2019, 11:40 AM
Thanks Frank,I have been doing some research,and now realize that the forward screw is not a regular screw,but as you stated also serves as a pin.I looked at the Tasco mounts picture and it seems they come with two of the forward screws.I will be getting it in today,but not the other one yet.I did find a place that sells a screw kit for the Kwik Sight though,so if it does fit,I will order it.The seller just said with mount,but I think from looking at it that it is the correct one.250674250675https://www.ironsighter.com/p-271-plate-screws-only-for-winchester-94-side-mount-regular.aspx

pietro
11-04-2019, 11:50 AM

1/4" x 36

The original screw has an extended nose that keeps the finger lever pin from protruding from the bolt and preventing bolt travel, so be sure to take the need for that feature into account.

I would contact one of the manufacturers that make scope mounts utilizing that location and buy the correct screw from them.

Dr. Pearson: https://www.mod94scoperail.com/

Kwik-Site: https://www.kwiksitecorp.com/p-284-ks-w94.aspx

Elroy
11-04-2019, 02:22 PM
250689 I got my Tasco mount in today's mail,and the holes line up,but my front screw is much smaller than either that came with the mount.My factory screw is in the center.I will be returning it..