PDA

View Full Version : Any XDE-45 owners?

Silvercreek Farmer
11-03-2019, 10:32 AM
Dad is looking to trade his XDS for one. We found the XDS required a very firm grip to cycle properly and did not like to be shot 1 handed. I'm curious if the XDE is the same way.

The XDS also has a strong recoil spring and is hard on his arthritic hands. I've noticed the XDE is advertised as requiring 27% less effort to rack the slide. Should be better for him.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-03-2019, 11:04 AM
Good report on grip sensitivity:

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2018/10/21/range-review-springfield-armory-xd-e-in-45-acp/

6bg6ga
11-03-2019, 11:08 AM
The wife bought an XDE-45 and loves it.

tazman
11-03-2019, 11:11 AM
I used to own an XDE in 9mm. I had no issues with the gun working, no matter how I held it.
I disliked the trigger pull. It made for poor groups for me.
I had intended to use it for concealed carry. If I can't hit what I aim at, no point in keeping it.

6bg6ga
11-03-2019, 11:13 AM
Actually we have a XDE-45 and a XDE in 9mm. Trigger pull while not up to 1911 terms is adequate to make decent groups.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-03-2019, 08:01 PM
I used to own an XDE in 9mm. I had no issues with the gun working, no matter how I held it.
I disliked the trigger pull. It made for poor groups for me.
I had intended to use it for concealed carry. If I can't hit what I aim at, no point in keeping it.

I've read the DA trigger breaks uncomfortably far back for some shooters. Would you agree with this?

tazman
11-03-2019, 09:29 PM
I've read the DA trigger breaks uncomfortably far back for some shooters. Would you agree with this?

Yes. If I shot enough rounds(50 or so)through the pistol, my trigger finger would get sore from rubbing on the trigger guard. I would stop shooting before the blister got there.
Though I never had a malfunction with it, the pistol just doesn't work well for me. It is a personal thing.
The full size XDm pistols work perfectly for me. I love shooting those. I have one in 45ACP and another in 9mm.

onelight
11-04-2019, 03:19 PM
My 45 XDE is my favorite carry gun it's totally reliable and is soft shooting for a 45 in this size range .
I do find it easier to operate than my XDS and I can shoot it better than the OM size Kimber I had , I also like it better than the compact sig 220 I had.
If choosing from quality guns most boils down to personal preference and there are many good choices.
The trigger on the XDE improves with use mine has gone from from over 5lbs to under 4 the da is between 8 and 9 I also like that the controls are like my HK usp 45c
I have maybe 3k rounds through it.
I also like the 45 shield but prefer hammer fired .
Lots of good choices out there I like them all but cary the XDE.

upr45
11-05-2019, 10:01 AM
XDS 45 is difficult to shoot. I have other XD's (XDM, Mod 2) but not a E. I do like XD series due to a grip safety and they fit my hands. Not considering it at this time but if I did get rid of my S it would be for a -e.

onelight
11-05-2019, 02:06 PM
One other observation between xds and xde when clearing an unfired round from the chamber on my xds it is very easy to jam it with some ammo the xde does not have this issue but the xde is a bigger gun.
I would add , I have never had any interest in grip sleeves but I tried a Hogue beaver tail grip sleeve on the xde and really like it.
She ain't pretty but she sure works good for me.