PDA

View Full Version : To the Hunt!

Texas by God
11-02-2019, 06:58 AM
Texas' gun season opens this morning!
Good luck to everyone!
I have noticed that my "get up and go" is Much slower these days- but still exciting. AND- we have a frost this morning- we're sure not used to that!
Be Safe and shoot straight.
TbG

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hickory
11-02-2019, 07:08 AM
The best of luck to you.

richhodg66
11-02-2019, 08:33 AM
Good luck, I'm up early for a work commitment, heavy frost on the ground, sky clear as a bell, perfect hunting weather.

Kansas only allows bows during the rut. We won't be able to hunt with a rifle again until the Wednesday after Thanksgiving.

White Oak
11-02-2019, 09:25 AM
Good luck to y’all! Enjoy the day.

Dthunter
11-02-2019, 10:02 AM
Good luck you guys! Waking up to a nice frosty morning up here in NORTHERN Alberta is par for the course this time of year. But when a light snow hits, the feeling of the whitetail hunt overcomes us! Wohoo!

white eagle
11-02-2019, 10:48 AM
best of luck to ya
we have a tracking snow on the ground here
headed out to the camper to bow kill a buck

txbirdman
11-02-2019, 12:41 PM
Grandson and I went out. He was carrying his .243. I was carrying my binoculars. Had a good 10 point at about 200 yds but he slipped in the brush before he could take a shot. Waited another hour and a nice 8 came out chasing some does. Grandson did everything right and nailed him. He’s 14 now and this is his third opening day deer in a row. Best thing is he still wants Papaw to go with him!

Texas by God
11-02-2019, 01:07 PM
Grandson and I went out. He was carrying his .243. I was carrying my binoculars. Had a good 10 point at about 200 yds but he slipped in the brush before he could take a shot. Waited another hour and a nice 8 came out chasing some does. Grandson did everything right and nailed him. He’s 14 now and this is his third opening day deer in a row. Best thing is he still wants Papaw to go with him!Congrats to y'all! I'm over on the Sabanna River in Commanche County. The wind has kicked up here, I'm going to still hunt for a bit. Nothing at the feeder this am but Wife said she'd cook breakfast if we went back to camp so who am I to argue with bacon eggs & biscuits!
Time to get yours, Grandpa. Good luck.

txbirdman
11-02-2019, 01:40 PM
I’m a county east of you. Saw 8 or 10 does and those 2 bucks this morning. They were moving pretty good over here. Think I’ll hold off awhile. Just got through skinning and quartering that 8 point. That’s about all the fun I can stand for 1 day. ��

Texas by God
11-02-2019, 02:49 PM
I hear you. I'm push mowing a half acre of tall dove weed so I can see the turkeys and pigs. Its seeded out and dusty and I see benadryl in my future. I cant get a tractor and brush hog up the trail to the plateau where my stand is.

willicd76
11-02-2019, 02:50 PM
Being a grandpa sounds like a blast! I hope to just remain a dad for at least a few more years though.....

buckwheatpaul
11-02-2019, 03:44 PM
Got a true spike buck.....big body but ugly rack.....cant eat the horns but can ya hear the chicken fried backstrap!

Treetop
11-02-2019, 05:01 PM
Mid 30s with a stiff north wind blowing here in the Brazos river valley this morning. Our middle grandson saw two does but passed on them and Mrs. Treetop passed on several smaller bucks (in our county, spikes are legal and bucks with at least a 13" inside spread are legal).

Me? I slept in! We have already have two fresh deer in the freezer from archery season, so I'm not hunting until the wife and the five grand kids kill their deer. It seems that these days, I'd rather eat deer than hunt them.

The grandson is hunting with NOE, Ranch Dog, 165 grain boolits, backed by a dose of IMR 4895 in his Remington 700 in .30-06. Can't wait to do an autopsy, those huge meplats should do some damage!

As I type this, they are both back out, on their stands so I'm waiting to hear gunshots! Treetop

Treetop
11-02-2019, 09:39 PM
I was working out in the shop about a quarter to six this afternoon when I heard Mrs. Treetop's Savage youth model 12, in .308W "speak" followed instantly by a "Whap"! About 20 minutes later she backed the Ranger up to the shop apron. She had killed nice average sized doe using her usual handload consisting of 27 gr. of IMR 4227 behind a 130 gr. Nosler partition j-word.

She's a small lady and doesn't like recoil at all, so these loads approximate a 7.62x39. The j-word broke ribs on entrance and exit and scrambled the lungs. Distance was around 50 yards. "Grandma" said the deer ran about 20-30 feet and collapsed.

Grandson was hunting a stand about a half mile from grandma's, and saw deer but didn't shoot anything.
Treetop

ChristopherO
11-03-2019, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the field report, Treetop. Always good to hear of success.

I was working out in the shop about a quarter to six this afternoon when I heard Mrs. Treetop's Savage youth model 12, in .308W "speak" followed instantly by a "Whap"! About 20 minutes later she backed the Ranger up to the shop apron. She had killed nice average sized doe using her usual handload consisting of 27 gr. of IMR 4227 behind a 130 gr. Nosler partition j-word.

She's a small lady and doesn't like recoil at all, so these loads approximate a 7.62x39. The j-word broke ribs on entrance and exit and scrambled the lungs. Distance was around 50 yards. "Grandma" said the deer ran about 20-30 feet and collapsed.

Grandson was hunting a stand about a half mile from grandma's, and saw deer but didn't shoot anything.
Treetop

txbirdman
11-03-2019, 04:34 PM
My son killed the biggest deer I’ve seen in awhile the AM. It had 14 points. Dual main beam on one side. Guess this leaves me as the only one without a deer.

txbirdman
11-03-2019, 04:43 PM

SSGOldfart
11-03-2019, 04:52 PM
My son killed the biggest deer I’ve seen in awhile the AM. It had 14 points. Dual main beam on one side. Guess this leaves me as the only one without a deer.

No sir I have not seen a shooter buck yet. I did pass on a little doe opening morning.
Btw Congrats to your son on a fine deer.

Texas by God
11-04-2019, 08:49 AM
Very nice buck! I played hide and seek with a doe for a little bit yesterday morning. She stomped and bleated at me before she ran off haha. I saw lots of bucks in trucks on the interstate going home.

smoked turkey
11-04-2019, 10:41 AM
I've just read and reread the above posts to Mrs. smoked turkey. You all in Texas are having too much fun with deer hunting. Don't you know deer hunting is supposed to be work? Our session opens Nov 16. The family will mostly be here and me, our two sons and grand daughter will be after them. Always a good time.

Markopolo
11-04-2019, 10:48 AM
got get em Mr Texas!!!!! only way to get one is be in the field... I go out again today... but for geese and mallards

Texas by God
11-04-2019, 02:07 PM
If I get time to hunt this afternoon I will wear shorts and a Hawaiian shirt to throw the deer off their game.

bikerbeans
11-05-2019, 09:00 PM
Good luck Thomas!.

BB

Treetop
11-07-2019, 02:30 AM
Our middle grandson killed a real nice, large doe Sunday morning. He was very pleased with the NOE Ranch Dog 165 gr. boolit (50/50 COWW/SOWW) pushed by 30.0 gr. of IMR 4895 in his Remington 700 in .30-06.

The boolit's damage was very similar to Mrs. Treetop's 130 gr. Nosler partition did to her deer. Broke ribs coming and going and scrambled a large amount of lung tissue inside. Distance was about 50 yards, as well. I hope that everyone else is filling their freezers, too!
Semper Fi, Treetop

Silvercreek Farmer
11-07-2019, 04:20 PM
Headed out Sat with a RD 270 stuffed down the bore...