PDA

View Full Version : front sight on a BP 1851 navy colt

pakmc
11-01-2019, 11:26 PM
front sight on a BP 1851 navy colt

my 1851 navy colt(its a rept.) (uberti) and it shoots about 9 inches high at 10 yards. I also have a spiller and burr(like a 1858 Remeton> that shoots about a foot high at 10 yards. I need to raise the front sights enough to bring these guns where I can shoot them "dead" on.
Actually I have an 1860 in .44 and a 1861 in .36 that do shoot to point of aim at the same 10 yards. a local gun smith doesn't seem to be able to get the orginal sight out of the barrel, any one got any hints? Help".
Pat

Outpost75
11-02-2019, 12:16 AM
Use the original front sight as a base to attach and pin a higher blade which you can file to zero.

To determine how much higher the sight needs to be use the expression

X= RE/D where

X is the amount of sight correction needed.

R is the sight radius

E is the error between the point of impact and point of aim and

D is the target distance.

ALL DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES.

If only a small correction is needed, you could cut off the original front sight, file it flush to the barrel, then drill and tap the old sight base to thread in a raised "Bradley" pedestal type shotgun bead of the correct height.

pakmc
11-02-2019, 09:27 PM
thank you outpost 75! I was guessing about that but your math makes me feel good about my guessing. I was trying to get a gun smith to do the work, but I looks like I'll have to get my guns back and do it myself!