PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you Have any expereience with MilitaryHeritage.com and their flintlocks.

koger
11-01-2019, 09:22 PM
I have noticed their add in couple of magazines and online. They are based in Canada, I think, and their Flintlocks are ready to go, just drill a touchhole or install a removable touchhole liner. I have read some reviews, and they all look pretty good. I am considering getting a Brown Bess from them. All feedback appreciated.

waksupi
11-02-2019, 11:39 AM
I believe these are India imports. If you get one, definitely have it checked out by an expert muzzleloading gunsmith. I got an India gun, and returned it the same day as unsafe to shoot.
You get what you pay for. You can't buy good parts for their selling price, which should be a good clue. I suspect the lock would be mainly pot metal. Made more for hanging on a wall than actual use, in my opinion.

koger
11-02-2019, 06:32 PM
The details say the lock is casehardened, and the barrels are supposedly made from high pressure automobile steel.

Hickory
11-02-2019, 06:55 PM
automobile steel?

As in Yugo?

koger
11-02-2019, 09:44 PM
Funny Hickory. I think they meant the smooth bore barrels are made out of high pressure gas line steel tubing.

LAGS
11-02-2019, 10:16 PM
@Waksupi.
What was the reason you decided it was Unsafe to shoot?

reivertom
11-02-2019, 10:29 PM
Don't! There are too many good used guns around to risk blowing your hand off..

waksupi
11-03-2019, 11:53 AM
@Waksupi.
What was the reason you decided it was Unsafe to shoot?

Breech plug was only threaded for a quarter inch, and the barrels were DOM tubing as others have mentioned. NOT safe for gun barrels, regardless of what some shade tree jack leg assemblers tell you. They are NOT seamless, but are welded and smoothed. Not something I would trust life or limb to.

LAGS
11-03-2019, 12:14 PM
Thank you Waksupi.
That now can save others the trouble of ordering one , and then just having to send it back.
Or worse , having to take it to a Gunsmith to have it checked out .
I would say the majority of persons that would lean towards buying one of these are New to the sport and not that experienced with safety checking what they buy .

Edward
11-03-2019, 06:46 PM
Breech plug was only threaded for a quarter inch, and the barrels were DOM tubing as others have mentioned. NOT safe for gun barrels, regardless of what some shade tree jack leg assemblers tell you. They are NOT seamless, but are welded and smoothed. Not something I would trust life or limb to.

And I would trust waksupi ,listen to a man that knows/nuff said Ed

LAGS
11-03-2019, 08:33 PM
That is why I asked him for his Opinion or observations.
Trust the Pro's

Buzzard II
11-03-2019, 10:00 PM
I would not even use an India made gun as a wall hanger. Drill your own touch hole? Yeah, right!

waksupi
11-04-2019, 11:07 AM
I would not even use an India made gun as a wall hanger. Drill your own touch hole? Yeah, right!

Even if you bought a muzzle loader from a good English maker, they would probably need the same thing. Big difference in import fees for functioning and non-functioning firearms.

KCSO
11-04-2019, 11:26 AM
I had to work on one one time and it was a *** Tubing barrel poor lock no spark cheap springs Just wall hangers!

Hickory
11-04-2019, 03:55 PM
I had to work on one one time and it was a *** Tubing barrel poor lock no spark cheap springs Just wall hangers!

Yugo?

Eddie2002
11-04-2019, 05:05 PM
Me "I'll take a gas cap for my Yugo", Parts guy "Yeah that's a fair trade"

Don't know much about Indian imports but cheap is cheap and you get what you pay for.

Buzzard II
11-05-2019, 07:57 PM
Even if you bought a muzzle loader from a good English maker, they would probably need the same thing. Big difference in import fees for functioning and non-functioning firearms.

I don't know anything about English made guns. I was talking about India made guns, check my post. Thanks.

rfd
11-05-2019, 09:16 PM
I don't know anything about English made guns. I was talking about India made guns, check my post. Thanks.

what ric meant was strictly for shipping - without a touch hole drilled, it's not treated as a real gun during shipping and doesn't carry any legal issues. don't matter if the gun was shipped from india or england, over to here in the states.

midland man
11-08-2019, 11:12 PM
i have one i purchased and so far i've loaded it with some heavy loads as its a 20 gauge smooth bore shotgun flintlock and i've shot roundballs and 1 1/2oz of shot with 3f goex at 80grs so far so good!

Steppenwolf
11-24-2019, 06:30 PM
From my experience with "Indian" guns Loyalist Arms are the best. I own two reproduction Bess's, one from Military Heritage and the other is from Loyalist Arms. The MH Bess required work, I had to get the lock tuned, frizzen hardened and touch-hole drilled. The smith also had to build up and lengthen the breech-plug threads. The LA Bess was ready to load right out of the box, nice fast lock. I used a brown stain to knock back the colours of the teak stocks. From what I have heard about MSV customers have some complaints regarding their service.