PDA

View Full Version : Need help with this Relay

TonyN
11-01-2019, 02:44 PM
I'm thinking my Relay is going out on my Balisticast Mark 2. Anyone know if they still make these to replace the current one? Iv never seen these before.

lightman
11-01-2019, 04:58 PM
It should be pretty easy to test it if you have a volt meter and a little bit of basic electrical knowledge. I have found a good source for relays to be a heating and air supplier. Just match the coil voltage and the max rating.

Rapidrob
11-01-2019, 05:48 PM
As written above you must have a meter, otherwise you can throw money down the drain.
In your photo look at the two 90 degree angle spade connectors ( Yellow arrows ) this is your coil voltage. The lower gray wire is jumpered to the other relay as well. This line is most likely the common wire or Natural. The top wire is the signal voltage to turn the relay ON.
With your power on,and the unit calling for work ( heat,motor,whatever) read the AC voltage across these two ( Yellow arrows) terminals. You should see what they are rated for in volts ( 120, 24,12 etc). If the terminals show no voltage check to make sure the relay is not DC. Not likely but not having a schematic, who knows?
If you DO have voltage, rap the side of the relay with a screw driver handle. If the relay closes and you see work being done, the contacts stuck/burnt. Replace relay.
If you see voltage at the terminals and hear/feel the relay close, go to the RED arrow,black wire and any chassis ground and see if you are getting line voltage ( 120,240,etc) If you ARE getting voltage you have other problems. Heating element,motor,what ever. is/are burned out or a fuse is blown.
Reading across the relay, Black and White wire may show nothing as you are reading across a contact. ( single pole,single throw relay) The heavier white wire is jumpered to the other relay and is a Common wire. Read both relays the same way.
When testing make sure the unit is ON, and is being told by the Thermostat to call for heat or a Switch to move a motor.
Relays are rated by coil volts and load carrying Amps. You can always go up in load ( Amps) 250579
If you find a dead relay,there are so many that can be used, let me know and we will find you one on Ebay or the like,cheap.

If you get completely stumped, Google the unit and find a schematic and contact me. It should be an easy repair.

TonyN
11-01-2019, 06:40 PM
Thanks so much

RapidRob thanks. I'm going to P.M. you