PDA

View Full Version : Long time swager, getting into casting, need lubesizer recommendation.

Pipefitter
11-01-2019, 10:24 AM
After all these years swaging my bullets I have won an auction for a few boolit molds. Right now I do not own a lubsizer.
If you were to buy a new lubsizer which one would you get and why?

I will be casting for 38/357, 45acp/45lc, and 308win, so gas checks will probably be needed for at least some of the projectiles.

Not really interested in an automated unit at this time.

Thanks for your input.

PJEagle
11-01-2019, 02:01 PM
Based on my experience, my recommendation is to look into powder coating those boolits. It costs a lot less to get started and you don't gum up your dies. You can also eliminate the use of gas checks.

Walks
11-01-2019, 02:46 PM
I PC, but I was raised on Lubi-Sizers. Still like them, use them. The Lyman and RCBS use the same dies and top punches. Saeco also makes top punches to fit those 2 machines . For their Cast Bullet Nose Profiles.
Saeco makes a really good tool. But it and the dies and TP's are half again as much $$$ as the Lyman or RCBS.

The Lyman comes with an add on gas check seater. The Saeco's is built in, swing in and out as needed. This allows you to seat gas checks straight Without sizing.

Then there is the Star, the Cadillac of Lubi-Sizer's. Lots of money.

The CastPics website has a chart that shows the interchangibility of top punches for the Lyman, RCBS & Lee Mold nose profiles.

My 2 cents.

gwpercle
11-01-2019, 06:24 PM
I bought a Lyman 450 about 1972 , 47 years I'm still using it and have replaced nothing . My unit has a brass expansion ring on the lube feed not a rubber o-ring, so it hasn't needed to be replaced just cleaned and adjusted .
All I shoot is lead so it's been well used . I don't have any others to compare it with but if I had to buy another it would be another Lyman .
Gary

avogunner
11-01-2019, 06:32 PM
I’ve got two Lyman 450’s (with heaters), two 45’s with soft lubes, and a Pitzer. I don’t see PC in my future as these have been providing great service for 30+ years.
I thinks it’s all a personal choice.... some will yell Star, some PC, some LAM.
Either pick to PC or find yourself a nice used lubrisizer. It’s part of the fun ..
Semper Fi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReloaderFred
11-01-2019, 07:17 PM
I've got a Lyman 450 that I bought about 1968 or so, an RCBS, two Saeco machines, and ten Star lubri-sizers. The Lyman, RCBS and Saeco lay idle on the shelf most of the time, and the Stars get all the use. It depends on the volume you intend to be sizing and lubing. The first three brands are all slower than the Star machines, but if you're low volume, any of them will do the job.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Blanket
11-02-2019, 09:37 AM
Star without a doubt. I have Lyman, RCBS and Saecos and use my Stars more than any other

Green Frog
11-02-2019, 10:12 AM
To “just dip your toes” into this sizing and lubing thing, the Lyman 4500 (or its earlier variants, bought used) and the RCBS equivalent are the least expensive way to get started and many of us find them to be all we ever need. I have no personal experience with the Saeco, but it is more expensive and its dies are proprietary.

The odds on favorite for top end sizing and lubing equipment is the classic Star design, now made by Magma. The price is from half again to double that of the others, but according to its proponents, it is that much better. I just got one and haven’t used it yet so you’ll have to get your testimonials for it elsewhere.

Of course for small batches of bullets, you can also resort to pan or even tumble lubing then using a Lee bullet sizing die mounted on your reloading press. BTW, conventional bullets may be tumble lubed with satisfactory results.

All kinds of options here. You’ll have to determine how deeply you wish to get involved and from that what level of equipment purchases you will make.

Froggie

farmerjim
11-02-2019, 10:25 AM
To start I would ether tumble lube or powder coat or Hi-Tek. I started casting 55 years ago and lubed all my boolits. I now either powder coat or Hi-Tek them. No more greasy mess. I would powder coat to start as it is easier than Hi-tek, but not quite as fast for high production.

toallmy
11-02-2019, 11:00 AM
You can try tumble lube , powder coating , or pan lube to get started while looking for a lube sizer . Possibly post a want to buy a lube sizer or cruise the auction sights , but before buying try to get a idea of the volume you will actually be doing .

Rich/WIS
11-03-2019, 09:25 AM
Lyman 450 since 1974, have several an also a RCBS LAM II modified to use a socket wrench. Keep them set up for the bullets I use. Had a SAECO but did not like it, handle was harder for me to use. Used 450's show up frequently in the S&S section, or you could post a WTB.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-03-2019, 10:39 AM
While a Star is expensive, you will never be sorry you bought it. It is the best.
If you can't afford a Star, then I'd suggest a Lyman 45, the design allows for better alignment than lyman's newer versions.
I'll give the Saeco a Honorable mention, it also has a good design for alignment, but used dies are scarce and new dies are expensive.

Petrol & Powder
11-03-2019, 10:57 AM
I'm right on the cusp of acquiring a Star. The conventional lubersizers such as a RCBS or Lyman 4500, are certainly the less expensive way to get into that field, however they are less efficient when sizing large volumes of bullets. (one bullet in, operate the handle, one bullet out)

The Star looks like the way to go if you intend to lube/size a large number of bullets, IF you only intend to work with one type of bullet. The continuous feed & output of the Star is well suited for higher production.

Because I have a need to lube/size bullets of several different types & calibers, the conventional (Lyman 4500) still makes sense. However, when sizing upwards of 300 bullets at a session .....the Star starts to look awfully appealing.

DHDeal
11-03-2019, 01:31 PM
I have a LAM and a LAM2 that I mostly use now to seat GC or PBGC to my cast bullets before I PC them.